Go Back   SAUK Discussion Board > SAUK Community > Club 30-81
Join! Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Notices

Reply  Post New Thread

Old 23rd August 2019, 21:16
Banned

Default For anyone without siblings

for anyone without siblings or kids, in their 40's

do you feel slightly guilty for your parents getting into their 60's or later, and not having any grandkids?

my parents don't say anything. they know it's not something they can 'will' into existence. and in a sense, certainly my dad, doesn't mind the child support agency "not" being on my tail.

my mum mentioned about 10 years ago about "not minding" being a granny. tbh tho I think essentially they are more concerned for my future, than grandchildren
Old 24th August 2019, 08:23

Mood
Alienated

Default Re: For anyone without siblings

I'm 33 and my parents are 67

They aint getting grandkids, they have been told since I was a teenager not to expect any sprogs.

I don't think my dad cares, I think it bothers my mum more than she lets on, shes been playing the..you need to meet someone so your not completely on your own when we are gone card quite a lot the last few years

I don't know if I feel guilty, perhaps I feel a bit of a disappointment but the thought of being stuck with a child makes me snap right out of it.

I told them they should have had more than one! but apparently I was enough of a saga with the various health problems they have.
Old 24th August 2019, 08:57

Mood
Relaxed

I'm not having any.

I don't talk to my dad really, so not sure what he thinks, however he has got another son, so he might get some grandchildren yet.

My mum dislikes everything, especially children, so I think she approves of my choice.
Old 24th August 2019, 10:17

My parents are approaching their mid 60s and don't have grandchildren. I think they would like to be grandparents and I'm sure that they will be soon. They would never say anything to me or my sister though, they're very much live your own life kind of people.
Old 24th August 2019, 10:52

Mood
Cynical

I have two siblings and my parents are in their 60s and no grandkids! Only one of my brothers is anywhere near being ready to have children and he and his partner have decided to wait a bit.
It's not a child's job to 'provide' their parents with grandchildren, and from the other side I don't think that parents should be automatically expected to provide free childcare as seems to happen a lot these days either.
Old 25th August 2019, 16:23
Banned

T/y for the replies. I'm sure it can't be a totally unique situation, I guess
Old 28th August 2019, 20:58

I generally think that if parents want grandkids they need to enable the situation by doing things like, helping you get a house/deposit (if it's within their means, at least let you live with them to save), and/or offering reliable childcare, and not interfering with your love life if you have one. Of course, doing all this may come to nothing, but it's at least planting a few seeds. Just complaining isn't very helpful. Fortunately my sister has kids but they live very far away, so it is what it is.