SAUK Discussion Board

Go Back   SAUK Discussion Board > Social Anxiety Discussions > The Social Anxiety Room
Join! Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Notices

Reply  Post New Thread

Old 28th April 2024, 17:35

Mood
Alienated

Default social skills

I have poor social skills. I receive negative feedback from people about my social skills. I think my social skills are made worse by my severe anxiety. I'm not taking medication currently and am reluctant to try it, as I have experienced adverse effects from a SSRI I took. I suppose I need to push myself out of my comfort area. Posting this is a start I guess.
Old 28th April 2024, 21:35

Default Re: social skills

Absolutely it's a start and good for you. I totally understand your reluctance to try antidepressants again, I never felt quite right on three different SSRI's and suffered a bad reaction to an SNRI after about 10 months and vowed never to go that route again. My GP has never once offered me an alternative treatment. I've tried other non prescription therapies since, primarily for depression and I'm hoping it will help with my SA too. Don't give up, hopefully you'll find something that works for you soon.
Old 29th April 2024, 15:20

Mood
Alienated

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hylas
Absolutely it's a start and good for you. I totally understand your reluctance to try antidepressants again, I never felt quite right on three different SSRI's and suffered a bad reaction to an SNRI after about 10 months and vowed never to go that route again. My GP has never once offered me an alternative treatment. I've tried other non prescription therapies since, primarily for depression and I'm hoping it will help with my SA too. Don't give up, hopefully you'll find something that works for you soon.
Thank you Hylas. My GP has not ever offered me an alternative treatment either. Could you share what other non prescription therapies you've tried for depression and SA? I'm thinking peer support groups (such as this one) would probably benefit me more than 6 sessions of psychological therapy with an unknown therapist.
Old 30th April 2024, 10:24

Hi P, Read the cover article in the Stanford Magazine March 2023 issue
Also a good read is Johan Hari's book Lost Connections
Psilocybin therapy clinical trials are taking place in the UK.
Old 30th April 2024, 10:33

Have you explored the possibility you have ADHD too, it doesn't always manifest itself in the way you'd expect. It could be a underlying factor so do speak to your GP or do the online self test questionnaire.
Old 30th April 2024, 17:53

Mood
Alienated

Thanks Hylas! I will explore those..