SAUK Discussion Board

Go Back   SAUK Discussion Board > Social Anxiety Discussions > The Social Anxiety Room
Join! Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Notices

Reply  Post New Thread

Old 21st April 2022, 10:37

Default Do you feel you have multiple mental health issues

If so how do you plan to work on them?

I feel certain I must be depressed. I’m anxious. But I feel this stems from untreated autism and maybe some untreated learning disorders. I also think I might have bdd.

As I feel my anxiety and depression stem from other untreated issues I feel hesitant to work on them. It might sound irrational, but it’s like, if I worked on being less depressed I feel like I would become depressed again because I haven’t treated the cause of the depression.

But maybe I need to acknowledge my depression more.

Work makes me depressed. I feel it doesn’t like bad on the outside and it doesn’t feel like the most harsh environment I’ve been in. But it doesn’t feel like it’s helping me, feels like a dead end. Some colleagues seem manipulative to me, for example take part in a lot of gossip but would act nice in front of you. Do certain things to make a lie look true to others that know you less. Maybe I should find something else but I feel it’s not likely I would find a better job in my state.

Getting an autism diagnosis next month but I need to do more for my mental health.

Also I went for an assessment through the nhs back in 2016 and the psychiatrist said I couldn’t be autistic because I have too much eye contact. Researching autism I know that is a force reasoning. But he said rather I am depressed. I think if I focused more on depression and anxiety I would forget the other issues that I think cause anxiety and depression.
Old 21st April 2022, 11:31

Mood
Cynical

Default Re: Do you feel you have multiple mental health issues

^ That's an untrue comment from the psychiatrist, particularly if you had not had a comprehensive autism assessment! Just observing your level of eye contact during an appointment doesn't necessarily mean anything, many autistic people have learned to make a certain amount of eye contact even if it might be uncomfortable for them.
Old 21st April 2022, 11:44
Banned at own request

Mood
Doubtful

ASD- diagnosed
schizophrenia/schizoaffective -diagnosed
social anxiety- secondary to ASD/schizophrenia
Dyspraxia- mentioned by pdoc but not officially diagnosed
Dysgraphia(probable)
Scoliosis(mild- didn’t know I had it till last year)
Total aphantasia
Atrial fibrillation
Low vit D /increased risk of fractures
Eczema(not sure which type. was on list send from the hospital doctors to the GP. )My skin tends to be quite dry.

Some of those aren't mental illnesses, but physical co-morbidities can affect functioning and quality of life.
Old 21st April 2022, 11:50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dougella
^ That's an untrue comment from the psychiatrist, particularly if you had not had a comprehensive autism assessment! Just observing your level of eye contact during an appointment doesn't necessarily mean anything, many autistic people have learned to make a certain amount of eye contact even if it might be uncomfortable for them.
Yeah I’ve always been told to look people in the eye
Old 21st April 2022, 18:35

Quote:
many autistic people have learned to make a certain amount of eye contact even if it might be uncomfortable for them.
This. I'm autistic (professional diagnosis) and have been accused of looking at people too much or for too long in the eye.

Autism isn't "curable" of course but some things can be done to help reduce some of the deficits it causes.

Furthermore, many people still hold the view than autism is a mental health issue/mental illness, when in fact it is a developmental disorder.
Old 21st April 2022, 18:47
Banned at own request

Mood
Doubtful

i get quite anxious over how much eye contact I should make. As for reducing the deficits, 20 years ago a 50/50 possibility IMO. Now- very unlikely to happen.
Old 21st April 2022, 19:46

Mood
Cynical

Quote:
Originally Posted by limey123
This. I'm autistic (professional diagnosis) and have been accused of looking at people too much or for too long in the eye.

Autism isn't "curable" of course but some things can be done to help reduce some of the deficits it causes.

Furthermore, many people still hold the view than autism is a mental health issue/mental illness, when in fact it is a developmental disorder.
Yes, it seems to be something that people have latched onto, "oh yes autistic people don't make eye contact" but fail to grasp that people who haven't been diagnosed as children will probably have been told that they should be looking at people when speaking to them! So they might be making extra effort to make eye contact, or like you actually over do the eye contact.

I heard about someone who was told by a mental health professional that they couldn't be autistic because they made eye contact and they weren't obsessed with trains! They were also later diagnosed as being autistic after being properly assessed.
Old 21st April 2022, 21:19
Banned at own request

I have Russel silver syndrome, OCD, low mood and social anxiety I hope to improve the last two by volunteering in the future and maybe trying a new medication let’s see how we go. I find eye contact really bad it freaks me out to have to look at someone especially when they are looking at me as I think I’m looking funny or sometimes I think what are they thinking about me
Old 21st April 2022, 22:07

Mood
Alienated

I have been feeling for the past few years that I am possibly on the spectrum - it would explain a lot. For many years I thought it was anxiety/depression that was the main issue, with my behaviour being a symptom of that, however I think it’s the other way around now.
But I’m undiagnosed, and don’t really know what on earth I’m going to do about it.

I don’t know what to focus on. Focussing on depression could help reduce issues with other things. But I’ve been trying to sort the depression out for years so maybe it’s time I focus on something else.

I also have a physical disability, which has added to my mental health problems and low confidence. I always felt different when growing up, and I now think that had a real impact.
Old 21st April 2022, 23:40

^^ very similar. I suspect that I'm on the spectrum, which then leads to the mental health struggles: depression, anxiety, ocd - always triggered by new situationis and changes.

I'm managing everything quite well at the moment. As soon as there are changes then very strong anxiety and OCD behaviours like to pop up.

I always try to think of these as not part of me. They're separate things that come to visit me for a bit - like I'm an Airbnb and they're the worst guests possible but they will go away at some point.

I find the anxiety mentally overwhelming at times. It's also physically exhausting. I know it won't last forever if I keep doing the thing that makes me anxious.

It honestly feels like a battle. Fighting against anxiety and avoidance is hard. It's exhausting, but worth it.

I'm working on having a sort of ... safety plan in the event of ... learning about the triggers and what to do early on to try and hold back the anxiety before it gets monumental!
Old 23rd April 2022, 11:13

Quote:

I heard about someone who was told by a mental health professional that they couldn't be autistic because they made eye contact and they weren't obsessed with trains! They were also later diagnosed as being autistic after being properly assessed.
Lol, that's such an antiquated view of autism. I wasn't even interested in trains as a child.
Old 23rd April 2022, 14:54
Banned at own request

Mood
Doubtful

^ My father has been interested in trains from a very young age.I have zero interest in trains as a hobby. My (s) daughter has said my father and I are quite similar to each other. My father worked for the Foreign office for about 35 years before taking early retirement. He didn't fancy being ambassador to Gabon etc.Are there 'autistic diplomats'?
Old 23rd April 2022, 15:05

Mood
Cynical

^ I'm sure there are autistic people in all walks of life.
Old 23rd April 2022, 18:43

Mood
Lurking

I have anxiety and depression, and also I think very long term bereavement grief, I have only found that out in the last year that it is a common trait amongst lone twins, especially when the twin died in the womb or within hours or a few days after birth.

Their was an article yesterday in the Daily Mail about it after the Ronaldo story, and things have really improved with the way they deal with it now compared to 50 years ago.
Old 23rd April 2022, 19:35

Mood
Cynical

^ There was also a segment about baby loss, specifically the loss of a twin, on Woman's Hour on radio 4 the other day and it sounds like there is more understanding among maternity staff about the best ways to support parents going through that situation.
Old 24th April 2022, 00:19

Mood
Alienated

^^^^^^ biscuits, I’m glad you’re managing fairly well with it at the moment. I like your analogy of being like an airbnb!

I also have difficulty with certain changes or new situations - I’m getting more and more into my comfort zone and not really challenging myself because of it I guess.

It sounds like you are being proactive, such as coming up with a safety plan - I guess this will help you prepare for new situations? Maybe I should do something similar.
Old 24th April 2022, 11:40

Quote:
Originally Posted by humphrey
I have anxiety and depression, and also I think very long term bereavement grief, I have only found that out in the last year that it is a common trait amongst lone twins, especially when the twin died in the womb or within hours or a few days after birth.

Their was an article yesterday in the Daily Mail about it after the Ronaldo story, and things have really improved with the way they deal with it now compared to 50 years ago.
Yeah I think that must leave some mental void or identity crisis that feeds anxiety and depression.

I feel maybe my anxiety and identity issues is partially caused my family abandonment. They will never word it this way though. But having an uncle you never knew existed in this country till my granny comes and his excuse being that he lost my mums phone number and address. He could have asked my granny for my mums address if he managed to see us when my granny visited. Several family members that only came when my granny visited multiple times when my granny was here but never visit other times. It’s usually masked as being my mums fault though.
Old 25th April 2022, 19:31

Mood
Lurking

Quote:
There was also a segment about baby loss, specifically the loss of a twin, on Woman's Hour on radio 4
I will listen to that, as I am a lone twin and it will be interesting to see what is said.
Old 25th April 2022, 19:58

^I can’t picture how that feels, but sorry.

We know more than we think we know when it comes to family connections, baby abuse and stuff, even our birth seems to have implications for us.
Old 26th April 2022, 19:03

Mood
Lurking

I listened to the Woman's hour piece, it was good, but they glossed over the feelings of the lone twin. I emailed about this.

I was pleased to hear that things have moved a long way from when I was born 50 years ago. How they told the parents to bond with the dead child, make memories etc., talk about it to the family.

When I was born severely premature, me and my twin were whisked away instantly from my mum, into neonatal intensive care. They said that they would inform her when we died. She was then asked to provide 2 names almost immediately for the hospital records and also so that the birth and death could be registered at the same time.

I only found out last year that my twin was buried in a communal grave, in a near-by cemetery to the hospital, with other babies and infants. But he was at least in consecrated ground, as my Mum managed to get us christened within the first hour. The hospital dealt with all the arrangements, our family had nothing to do with it.

As I was in neo natal intensive care for over 3 months, the only people allowed to see me were my Mum and her Mum, the rest of the family only saw me when I finally came home in the following January.

But I am glad that hospitals are more caring and the family can arrange the funeral, have proper closure.
Old 26th April 2022, 19:13

Mood
Cynical

^ I think probably because they were concentrating on the point of view of parents rather than people who had experience of being one of twins and losing thier sibling at birth, although that probably would have been an important perspective to hear.

I did think it was good that one woman talked about how the midwives made sure to talk about both babies and mention both their names. Also like you say that the parents were encouraged to spend time with the twin who didn't survive and make memories. I have read before that in previous generations babies who had any kind of health problem or disability were just rushed away by doctors and parents weren't even told what was happening or they were told to prepare for the worst.
Old 26th April 2022, 21:57

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tembo
^^^^^^ biscuits, I’m glad you’re managing fairly well with it at the moment. I like your analogy of being like an airbnb!

I also have difficulty with certain changes or new situations - I’m getting more and more into my comfort zone and not really challenging myself because of it I guess.

It sounds like you are being proactive, such as coming up with a safety plan - I guess this will help you prepare for new situations? Maybe I should do something similar.
Yes, you should definitely create a safety plan. It's a comfort really to know what your triggers are and what you can do to try and cope with it and know who to turn to to keep you on track rather than avoiding/retreating. Sometimes I get extreme anxiety from change. But I'm very determined and work through it. It's hard though!