SAUK Discussion Board

Go Back   SAUK Discussion Board > Social Anxiety Discussions > Other Issues and Conditions
Join! Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Notices

Reply  Post New Thread

Old 1st September 2022, 20:54

Default Autistic people: Are you constantly told to calm down or relax, slow down or take ..

it easy?

After watching an autistic advocate speaking and also stimming sometimes whilst speaking. I wouldn’t be surprised if she has been told any of these phrases along the lines of calming down.

I’m told a lot to relax, calm down, was told a lot today at work to slow down despite not feeling overwhelmed. I was actually feeling awake and energetic.

Idk if my thoughts are false but now I’m beginning to think being told to relax or any other similar phrases is part of the autistic experience, especially if you are high functioning.

Perhaps an autistic person naturally looks overly stimulated as we have more issues regulating how stimulated we are and neurotypical people would see this as us not being calm but then it’s just us being us?
Old 21st September 2022, 20:50

Mood
Tired

Default Re: Autistic people: Are you constantly told to calm down or relax, slow down or take

I very often get emotional passionate and excited in certain situations that might seem odd,
I can't always 'do' the calm, reasonable, disinterested approach to things.