SAUK Discussion Board

Go Back   SAUK Discussion Board > Social Anxiety Discussions > The Social Anxiety Room
Join! Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Notices

Closed Thread  Post New Thread

Old 7th July 2009, 15:20

Mood
Cold

Red face Seeking help for the first time

Does anyone have any advice for someone looking for help for the first time?

I never really thought there might be anything seriously wrong with me, just a little anti-social and low confidence, but these past few months my anxiety has progressively gotten worse to the point of depression.

I've only really known about the disorder for the past few weeks and so am a little sketchy on what would be the proper way to deal with it. Should I see a psychiatrist? My GP? What should I tell him? That I think I have SA, or that I'm depressed? Do I tell my family? Do I tell anyone?!

This is all very new and overwhelming for me, so I apologize of these questions have been asked before ad nauseum.
Old 7th July 2009, 15:29

Mood
Sleepy

Default Re: Seeking help for the first time

I am probably not the best person to ask but I think the first port of call would be a friend or relative that you feel comfortable talking about these issues to.

If no such friend or relative exists then by all means try your GP.

At first I was far too scared to do either and I found the best approach was to read up on the disorder and try to work out myself where my problems lied. This site can be very useful as a starting reference.

Good luck and welcome
Old 7th July 2009, 16:18

Mood
Bookworm

Default Re: Seeking help for the first time

Overcoming SA and Shyness by Gillian Butler is a good reference guide (should be in your local library).

It is important to talk to someone about this as the isolation will feed the depression. I am going to my GP on monday with a crib sheet and will probably mention extreme shyness as well in case the doctor does not know about SA.

Good luck,
Cx
Closed Thread