Go Back   SAUK Discussion Board > General Discussion > The Lounge
Join! Blogs FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

Reply  Post New Thread

Old 27th July 2011, 17:36

Mood
Spaced

Default Re: I hate interviews!

I've had a few I wish I had walked out of, first was for an IT job but the interview was with someone from HR and she hardly asked me any IT related questions and instead kept badgering on at me to 'prove' that I was ready to work again (I was out of work for like 3 years), saying I didn't sound confident enough about it and ugh it was so frustrating.

Also I had one a few weeks back at a major competitor of my old employer, while I was waiting in the morning I thought I saw my old manager's manager walk past and then in the talking part I found out not only that it was him, but that like 5 other people from my old workplace were there now (that is really bad because I just kinda disappeared, sent them sick notes in the post but no other communication, and the first guy was one of maybe 3 people in the company who would have seen what was on those sick notes and who really knew what had happened). It was an all day group interview too with so many stupid tasks and I had to really talk myself into staying even though the job wasn't even that appealing.

Then I got home and I had a voicemail message left at like 3pm from another interview saying I'd got the job! I was ecstatic (I start Monday btw) but damn I wish they'd rang me in the morning instead.

Never really heard back from either of those 2 interviews, I was curious about the second one and the agency did leave me a msg asking me to call them so they could 'give feedback' but I'm guessing they would have tried to call more than once if I had got it (and I was pretty scared of what they could have said anyways).
Old 27th July 2011, 18:45

I once went to an interview that was in a dumpster. I'm not kidding - it was a temporary building that looked like it was about to be demolished (or at least needed to be) and there were loads of cans and Snickers bar wrappers and other bits rubbish strewn all around it.

I say "went" to the interview, but I never actually *had* the interview. I just turned around and went back home. No regrets on that one.
Old 27th July 2011, 22:48

Mood
Fine

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnathemA
I have been given "a verbal offer" (for the job, you sickos). May have to wait a day or two for the paperwork to come through.
That's great! I remember you mentioning a few times that you wanted to be closer to London and move out of home. Congrats
Old 29th July 2011, 19:20

Mood
Flirty

Oi lets stick to the subject of the post, yeah!
Old 12th August 2011, 15:01

Mood
Flirty

Oh its so depressing. I must have been for like 20 interviews man and still no job i dont understand it to be honest.

I hearing people who have only gone for like 3 interviews and on the 2nd or 3rd interview they get the job.

Really dunno why man beginning to think ther is sumthn wrong wiv me. Maybe the jobs i'm after are jus so competitive
Old 12th August 2011, 15:34
Banned

^ What sort of jobs you going for?
Old 12th August 2011, 15:36
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnathemA
I have been given "a verbal offer" (for the job, you sickos). May have to wait a day or two for the paperwork to come through.
You still going ahead with the new job?

Quote:
Originally Posted by black_mamba
Wow well done AnathemA!! Telling your current boss you're moving on is one of the most terrifying things I've ever had to do so I don't envy you.
I will look forward to it in my case.
Old 12th August 2011, 15:54

Mood
Flirty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnni
^ What sort of jobs you going for?
Admin jobs. I've got a lot of experience and still nothin. Not the right colour am i.

Lets be honest if you had to pick between a white an black or mixed or asian person your gonna go for the white person aint you, thats a fact! Especially if the job is a good job and not a shitty job.
Old 12th August 2011, 17:16

Quote:
Originally Posted by MelG
Oh its so depressing. I must have been for like 20 interviews man and still no job i dont understand it to be honest.

I hearing people who have only gone for like 3 interviews and on the 2nd or 3rd interview they get the job.

Really dunno why man beginning to think ther is sumthn wrong wiv me. Maybe the jobs i'm after are jus so competitive
Nothing wrong with you neccessarily. Admin must be the most over subscribed type of job out there surely?!

But I'd say if you've had 20 interviews and still nothing then perhaps something could be improved at the interview stage? How do you feel all those interviews went?

Even if all of them went well though you're still up against a ridiculous amount of competition.
Old 12th August 2011, 17:27
Banned

Do you fulfill the entry requirements/criteria for the jobs you are going for? Like BM said i guess there's loads of people going for admin jobs.
Old 12th August 2011, 17:32

Public sector redundancies means that there are a heck of a lot of people going for admin jobs.
Old 12th August 2011, 17:55

Mood
Flirty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnni
Do you fulfill the entry requirements/criteria for the jobs you are going for? Like BM said i guess there's loads of people going for admin jobs.
To answer both your questions

I haven't done that great in some of them but then ther are a few that i know i have done well in and yeh mayb it is really competative in the admin industry.

Yes i do fulfill the entry req otherwise they wud not have asked me for an interview in the first place would they. To be honest that's all i've got experience in and nowadays you have to have experience before they'll even consider you for the job
Old 12th August 2011, 18:32

You don't neccessarily need experience if you're creative about job hunting. I could talk about this all day but I'd suggest you read this to understand what I mean. I've probably recommended it before here a million times but I don't care. If you can't find a job and haven't read this then I'm on your case! :P

Also yeah admin is mental for competition I'm guessing there are 100s of applications for each job but if you're getting to interview then you're obviously a great candidate, it might be something as simple as someone having the perfect work experience for that particular role, or having a few years more experience than you that gets the job in the end.