SAUK Discussion Board

Go Back   SAUK Discussion Board > General Discussion > The Lounge
Join! Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Notices

Closed Thread  Post New Thread

Old 16th April 2008, 16:24

Default DIY uselessness...

Heh, I am sooooo totally useless at DIY. I surpassed myself today by taking 45 min trying to assemble an allegedly 'easy to use' tube of Unibond, only to eventually give up and chop off the end with a hacksaw and then scrape it out and apply it with some cotton buds . Then tried to 'gently chip away' at some flaking sealant around by shower door as instructed by my dad, only to accidentally hack an inch-wide hole out of the wall. I don't know what to do now.

I just wondered if this uselessness at DIY was essentially a female thing, or whether men are also equally rubbish at basic DIY? How come most men seem to know how to do these things, and I do not? DIY is a BIG mystery to me, but its not as if you can go for DIY lessons or anything is it? I wish my dad lived nearer....
Old 16th April 2008, 20:42

Mood
Innocent

Default Re: DIY uselessness...

Us blokes are ace at diy. Thats why so many of us end up in hospital, or dead.

I'm especially good at sawing my thumb instead of the wood!
Old 16th April 2008, 21:03

Mood
Spooky

Heh, a lot of us guys are DIY disasters
Old 16th April 2008, 23:29
I.G.

I'm very good at DIY. I'm often to be found wandering around the aisles of B&Q looking for stuff to buy.
Old 16th April 2008, 23:36

Mood
Dreaming

When I was a kid, my dad was so rubbish at DIY then I HAD to learn to be good just so I could sort out the house for him! As with most things I doubt it's a 'natural' gender difference, more likely that males are more likely to be taught such things from a young age, and there's more social pressure on males to learn. I quite enjoy DIY and making things.
Old 16th April 2008, 23:36

Mood
Spooky

:embarass: looks like it's just me then
Old 17th April 2008, 03:22

Mood
Lucky

Check this site out - it's brilliant. It's like an 'employed' version of YouTube, basically loads of useful videos that guide you simply through processes that initially appear hard if you don't have any DIY knowledge. It's a great site:

http://www.videojug.com/tag/diy-house-and-garden

Very recently, there were two occasions where I NEEDED to fix two different types of dripping taps so as not to appear completely useless and pathetic. I had absolutely no problem using the guides on that site, and was pretty f*cking impressed by the quality of useful information provided there, actually. I now feel 10% useful.
Old 17th April 2008, 05:15

I'm great at D.I.Y, Give me a mallet and screwdriver and I can do anything
Old 17th April 2008, 05:59

Mood
Spooky

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Quiet Dan
Check this site out - it's brilliant. It's like an 'employed' version of YouTube, basically loads of useful videos that guide you simply through processes that initially appear hard if you don't have any DIY knowledge. It's a great site:

http://www.videojug.com/tag/diy-house-and-garden

Very recently, there were two occasions where I NEEDED to fix two different types of dripping taps so as not to appear completely useless and pathetic. I had absolutely no problem using the guides on that site, and was pretty f*cking impressed by the quality of useful information provided there, actually. I now feel 10% useful.
Can't agree more, videojug is one of my fave sites.
Old 17th April 2008, 14:30

Mood
Mondayblues

I'm usually pretty good (for a girl) but yesterday when I couldn't get the super-glue to come out of the tube, I squeezed it really hard and it came out all over my hand (yes I realise how that sounds, and you have a dirty mind too for thinking it!), and it wasn't like thick glue, it was like water so my whole hand got covered in the stuff. Took me almost the whole day until my hand was back to normal. I tried everything to get it off, scratchy pads, washing up liquid, olive oil, white spirit - you name it! Won't make that mistake again, still at least I didn't glue them together. Wonder what the funniest super-glue related accident is? *runs off to google*.
Old 17th April 2008, 19:12
I.G.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quiet bloke with talkative cow
I used to do that (before I worked there I mean)
I just treated myself to three nice sets of drill bits from B&Q. A set of masonry drills, a set of metal drills and a set of wood drills

I just need something to drill now
Old 17th April 2008, 19:13

Pleas don't I have been painting my living room today I am hopeless really really hopeless!
Old 17th April 2008, 19:14
I.G.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gecko

Stop making up your own jokes!
Closed Thread