SAUK Discussion Board

Go Back   SAUK Discussion Board > SAUK Community > Club 30-81
Join! Blogs FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

Closed Thread  Post New Thread

Old 15th June 2005, 23:58
diaspar

Default London July 2nd - Tate Modern & the George Inn

Just to confirm that there will be a meet at the Tate Modern ( http://www.tate.org.uk/modern/information.htm

Meet will start at 3 pm.

Anyone is welcome, not just over 30's it an opportunity to meet in a different type of venue.

There are lots of ways of getting there by Public Transport.
The options include
Jubilee line to Southwark, its 10 mins walk North
Circle/District to Blackfriars, 10 mins South across Blackfriars Bridge
Central Line to St Pauls, walk around the Cathedral and SE crossing the (formerly) wobbly/millenium bridge to the Tate
Its probably 20-25 minutes from mainline rail at Waterloo or London Bridge. There are footpaths/signed routes from both station.

There are Buses and Boats! running close by.

You can hardly miss the Tate Modern, its a gigantic former power station on the South side of the Thames. St Pauls Cathedral is on the other side of the river. So plenty of sights to see.

If your mental map of London isn't that great its half way between West Tourists sites (Houses of Parliament/Millenium Wheel thing) and Tower of London/Tower Bridge in the East.

Depending on weather, comfort etc we may move outside as there is plenty of places to chat.

We will stay chatting at the Tate for a couple of hours then stroll along the river past Shakespears Globe to The George Inn to join other SA-UKers, thats about 20-25 minutes walk.

Please PM me if you want my mobile number.

Please come and go as you like, there is plenty to see in the Exhibition halls and lots to see around the area. Also move onto to the George Inn then whenever you feel like it, or stay chatting when some of us leave for the George.

I'll post more details nearer the time.
[1 edits; Last edit by diaspar at 22:41:14 Thu Jun 23 2005]
Old 18th June 2005, 23:46
diaspar

Default Re: London July 2nd - Tate Modern & the George Inn

I've done a recce, the best place to meet is the 4th Floor Expresso Bar. This has the advantage of being informal (not waitress service/sitting). But it is not that large, so after an 1.5-2 hours we will may go outside.

I enclose a map of the area. The walk to the George will be along the river passing in turn Shakespeares' Globe (modern version of 16th C theatre), a pub, the "clink" (old prison),replica of the Golden Hinde (famous ship), another pub, Southwark Cathedral, Borough Market (very victorian) and finally the George.
Old 20th June 2005, 15:48
EleS

Well as long as I'm not actually expected to appreciate any of this modern art malarky I could possibly pop along to this (Emote: biggrin)
Old 20th June 2005, 17:01
Philipo

Wow, excellently researched diaspar, I'm really looking forward to it ! (Emote: pirate)
Old 20th June 2005, 22:00
brightonian

Quote:
Quote: EleS at 14***58;48***58;19 Mon Jun 20 2005
Well as long as I'm not actually expected to appreciate any of this modern art malarky I could possibly pop along to this (Emote: biggrin)
I'll second that (Emote: thumbpurple)
Old 26th June 2005, 09:17
cavb

Hi diaspor
I would like to come to this but don't think I am going to recognise anyone who has posted already. Could you either give me a description of yourself or send me your phone number please?
Cate
Old 27th June 2005, 19:24
diaspar

For anyone thinking of coming at the last minute from outside London, you could try http://www.st-christophers.co.uk/se_...on_hostels.htm for somewhere to stay. Other SA-UK ers have used them before.
Old 5th July 2005, 21:11

So how did it go guys?
Old 11th July 2005, 16:34

I'll take that to read that it didn't then.....
Old 12th July 2005, 16:16

Mood
Balanced

mr seagull,

would you be interested in a southend get together? easy access from london and plenty o bars

disscuss.............

hoax

p.s how come im a junior member and your just a member!i know i look young but cmon

ooo junior member has been overwritten
Closed Thread