SAUK Discussion Board

Go Back   SAUK Discussion Board > Social Anxiety Discussions > Other Issues and Conditions
Join! Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Notices

Reply  Post New Thread

Old 29th December 2018, 23:54

Mood
Alienated

Default What to tell the doctor?

Hi all,

I'm hoping to book a doctor's appointment soon but I'm not good with words, so I'm wondering if someone could help me work out what to say?

I feel tired constantly, even in a good mood, and feel its negatively affected my whole life. I have been to the doctors before a few years back with the same issue, and I asked for a blood test - I had the test, but nothing was wrong with it. It could be related to my muscle wasting disease (sounds so glamorous doesn't it!), but when i've asked this at hospital they have said its not really related to mental exhaustion.
My depression probably doesn't help (understatement?) - but I'm not sure I want drugs for this, and I have done as much CBT as I can I think. Anyway, I think my tiredness might not be related to my depression (possibly).

I have heard vitamin B12 can help with constant exhaustion too.

Knowing me, I'd probably just tell the doctor 'I feel a bit tired', but its more than that.
Old 30th December 2018, 00:08

Mood
Grumpy

Default Re: What to tell the doctor?

Hey there!

Show me someone who is good with words and I'll trade my entire Pokemon card collection!

All jokes aside, I find that the best thing is to just be honest. Your GP is there to listen to you. And don't worry if you think something's trivial like sleepless nights - just be utterly brutally honest. Your GP is there to help. Even with getting blood tests; they're never going to find anything unless they're told specifically what to test for. But that's in no way your responsibility (unless you're a qualified MD) - it should be your GP who advises them.

In terms of meds; all I can say is: don't listen to the negativity if you have older family members. I got the whole shebang in that regard. My great-great grandma or something was on valium and received electric shocks (this was a time in the past).

I, personally, didn't get formally diagnosed with Social Anxiety until I went to University. Even when I started to get help there (in the form of both counselling and meds), a lot of my family were completely alienated.

I won't bore you with all my diatribe; my main point was to convince you that you're not alone and you shouldn't be in any way concerned. In all honesty, just be honest with your GP. In this day and age, they're quite good (if only in that they're paid to be - but I'll take those odds any day!).

I hope it goes well for you.
Old 30th December 2018, 14:23

Mood
Dreaming

I'd recommend writing down what you want to say like you have on here and taking it with you. You don't have to refer to it but just having it can take some of the stress away. Tell them if you don't want to take meds. Depression and anxiety suck energy like anything but it still needs looking into so you can get help with those or whatever else might be the cause.

Good luck
Old 8th January 2019, 23:48

Mood
Alienated

Thank you for the replies! I am hopefully going to book it soon.
Old 12th January 2019, 21:50

Mood
Bashful

Write it all down on a piece of paper, and give him the paper to read.