SAUK Discussion Board

Go Back   SAUK Discussion Board > Social Anxiety Discussions > Other Issues and Conditions
Join! Blogs FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

Reply  Post New Thread

Old 10th June 2018, 01:29
Banned at own request

Mood
Doubtful

Default Learning disability/learning difficulty

Posted by LDA America Author and date not given

Quote:
Learning disabilities are neurologically-based processing problems. These processing problems can interfere with learning basic skills such as reading, writing and/or math. They can also interfere with higher level skills such as organization, time planning, abstract reasoning, long or short term memory and attention. It is important to realize that learning disabilities can affect an individual’s life beyond academics and can impact relationships with family, friends and in the workplace.

Types of Learning Disabilities

In the UK and Europe we tend to call them learning difficulties. Due to my rather significant gap between verbal(better) and
non-verbal(worse) ability(It can also work the other way round) although not diagnosed I'm almost certainly a person with a
learning difficulty. The one that fits me best is non-verbal learning disorder.

Additional factors for me are dyspraxia(probable)
and executive functioning difficulties. Nowadays children are more likely to be picked up as having learning difficulties if they
have them. When I was a child though very few people considered those with average or above intelligence could have such
difficulties ,and such children tended to be undiagnosed. This resulted in them not getting the help and support they needed.