SAUK Discussion Board

Go Back   SAUK Discussion Board > General Discussion > The Lounge
Join! Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Notices

Reply  Post New Thread

Old 12th August 2023, 18:43

Default Re: Sports

Yeah to be fair was away. Nottm Forest were atrocious away last season but kept themselves up by a credible home form. Maybe Luton will do the same.
Old 12th August 2023, 21:28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocket Spud
It does seem generous for 2nd, 3rd and 4th ranked in the odds compared to 1st/City, so i'm assuming they've strengthened and retained their best players, whilst the competition haven't... ?

Lol, Luton sounds so out of place in the Prem.
Man City deserve to be favourite for the title. But a few things to keep in mind...
They're going for a fourth title in a row, and this has never been achieved in the history of English football. So they're going for the impossible. Honestly, if anyone can achieve this, it's definitely this Man City side. And if they do become the first team in English football to win it four times a row after just winning the treble last season, then my god we all might as well rip up the history books and give up, because this would be unprecedented.

They've sold a couple of important players. Gundogan has left, and they've replaced him with Kovicic. He's a solid signing, but he's no Gunogan.
Mahrez was sold, and they're trying to buy west ham's Paquueta to replace him. It would be a solid signing, but he's no Maheez.

Lastly, do not write Arsenal off. They've had a shakey pre-season, but I'm going to overlook that and suggest we're going to surprise a lot of people this season. Our young team's more experienced and not even at their peak. We've strengthened heavily over this transfer window. We've also got quality in depth for the first time in years, we genuinely have a world class player in every position, in some cases two in certain positions.
Old 13th August 2023, 18:31

Kane gone to Bayern Munich. Lot of respect to him, he could have wasted his days in England clubs.
Old 19th August 2023, 10:47

Footie, footie,footie.
My predictions:
Fulham-Brentford, draw as I got no idea.
Liverpool to beat Bournemouth
Wolves-Brighton, boring got to be 0-0
Tottenham vs ManU, I don't know anything about new Tottenham manager, I'm going for ManU win.
Man City vs Newcastle, maybe I quite fancy Newcastle to catch Man City out and get a draw but it'll be a tough one to get.
Old 19th August 2023, 17:09

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laurel
Wolves-Brighton, boring got to be 0-0.
4-1 last week, 4-1 this week, top of the league, highest scoring game for the second week running, 10 yellow cards, one red card. Still, I’m sure I’d be better off throwing in my lot with all of the glory-hunting plastics from Carlisle to Penzance who support Arsenal/Liverpool/Man U/Chelsea rather than their local team...at least it wouldn’t be boring eh?

Old 19th August 2023, 17:17

I support Plymouth Argyle numbnuts. Well done to Brighton, Gary Lineker described them as ‘playing like Brazil’ so fair play to them.
Old 15th October 2023, 20:26

Anyone watching the rugby? This is something else! I've only just started watching.
Old 15th October 2023, 20:28

^ Fantastic game. I think all four quarter finals have been exceptional, but this is the best of all of them.
Old 15th October 2023, 20:42

I caught the second half of the Ireland game - they seemed out of ideas toward the end and were grinding away to nothing, but what an effort! I missed England's game - i saw it was close.. ? Didn't see the final score, guessing we won. I don't know much about these teams or rugby, but i know entertainment when i see it! I'd pay for a tv license if this was a weekly thing!
Old 15th October 2023, 20:54

^ The England game finished 30-24 and ended similarly to the Ireland game, with Fiji (who needed nothing less than a converted try to win) holding the ball and trying to drive to the line, for five minutes beyond the forty, until finally England were able to turnover and kick into touch.

I do fear for England next week, whoever wins this game, but the team seems to be improving game by game, so who knows? I thought Ireland were unstoppable until yesterday.
Old 20th October 2023, 19:54

Are the England rugby similar to the England football team in terms of being a bit underperforming and frustrating to watch?

Who're we supporting tonight? I'm hoping for a fast paced, awesome, close fought match with many, many thrills and spills... and a streaker or two... some boobies... for world peace.
Old 20th October 2023, 21:39

^ If anything, England has performed beyond expectations at this World Cup, they have been really poor in the last two Six Nations competitions.

I always like to support the underdog and just wish it could have been over when Argentina were leading 3-0. I think the result was always a foregone conclusion, but Argentina should be proud to have kept it down to 6-15 until the stroke of half-time.
Old 20th October 2023, 21:53

Yeah, halftime was looking decent, Argentina in with a chance but NZ have been far too strong all round.
Old 20th October 2023, 22:13

I don't think tomorrow will be much different. England's game has been improving, but I think South Africa will be too strong for them.
Old 21st October 2023, 17:15

RIP Sir Bobby Charlton.
Old 21st October 2023, 22:16

x2
Old 21st October 2023, 22:25

Did you see the rugby, Spud? I know England lost, but it was a lot closer than I expected and we were 150 seconds away from a World Cup Final; I am really impressed with the way the team has progressed, although the game itself, although gripping, wasn't exactly an advert for free-flowing rugby.
Old 21st October 2023, 22:42

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregarious_introvert
Did you see the rugby, Spud? I know England lost, but it was a lot closer than I expected and we were 150 seconds away from a World Cup Final; I am really impressed with the way the team has progressed, although the game itself, although gripping, wasn't exactly an advert for free-flowing rugby.

I'm bloody proud of England. I didn't think on form we'd even make it out of the group stages but to make it to the semi and lose by a single point shows something.
Old 21st October 2023, 22:47

I felt exactly the same, very proud of shutting them out for the most part, but disappointed with the last 15mins. The try i felt was a sloppy concession - there were gaps that were exploited and the writing was on the wall from then on.
Old 28th October 2023, 20:08

Interesting opening. The big fella looks well pissed with having to go off injured.
Old 28th October 2023, 20:44

^ I totally forgot about the rugby! I'm in Transylvania, where it's almost 10.45pm. Romania were in this, I should see if I can find a channel showing it, for the second half (should be interesting with commentary in Romanian).

Sent from my M2010J19CG using Tapatalk
Old 28th October 2023, 21:00

Found the channel, but it needs a subscription.

Sent from my M2010J19CG using Tapatalk