SAUK Discussion Board

Go Back   SAUK Discussion Board > Social Anxiety Discussions > The Social Anxiety Room
Join! Blogs FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

Reply  Post New Thread

Old 12th September 2018, 16:32
Banned at own request

Mood
Doubtful

Default Found out about a group at the local library

It's called Open minds and is on a Thursday from 1-3pm. It's easy to get to as the library is a straight less than 5 minute walk from me. I've just got to summon up the nerve to go. For me the social interaction difficulties go beyond social anxiety, although that certainly doesn't help.
Old 12th September 2018, 20:26

Default Re: Found out about a group at the local library

Sounds worth a try. Do you need Freja on here to give you a talking to?
Old 12th September 2018, 22:22
Banned at own request

Mood
Doubtful

I've been there a few times with my youngest granddaughter while she reads stories to her baby.
Old 12th September 2018, 23:46

^^
That's not nutty, we all do that
I'll also streetview the f out of a new place, that helps loads.
And we all do this of course right

Old 13th September 2018, 15:38
Banned at own request

Mood
Doubtful

Went to the group at my library. It was hard going . It was better at first when there was just three of us , although the other two were very much directing conversation at each other with me very much the third party. I got really anxious when the numbers built up . The person running it was something of a ***8216;hippy***8217; type describing himself as having been a radical social worker and working in learning disability and mental health communities in the 70s. He said he was very much against institutions for the intellectually/learning disabled and mentally ill. He made a comment about people wanting to be ill which didn***8217;t sit well with me but I bit my tongue. I was polite and answered when spoken to but there***8217;s just something about me that means I don***8217;t stimulate conversation. Ie there***8217;s lots of conversational dead ends.

I***8217;m very doubtful I***8217;ll go back. It was not exactly a relaxing experience.
Old 15th September 2018, 09:55
Banned at own request

Mood
Doubtful

Another reason not to go back to that group. A woman put £1 into the box for drinks. I then put £1 in which was the only change I had. Cue jibes about having my money on a string from the ageing hippy/ ex radical social worker running it. Maybe it was his idea of being funny but it made me feel bad. Being pedantic it costs about 10 p or slightly less per cup of instant coffee. We are not talking Starbucks here.
Old 15th September 2018, 11:09
Banned at own request

Mood
Doubtful

The thing is I didn't get on with anyone. Another problem was it came over as a group for the worried well and not really for people with severe mental health problems. One woman came in after 30 minutes or so and proceeded to hog the ageing hippie***8217;s attention re her wanting to set up as an acupuncturist /alternative therapist in a doctor***8217;s surgery. She was getting him to print out maps and help revise her CV.

I just didn***8217;t feel comfortable there especially as the little I had to say didn***8217;t help to produce a flow of conversation. It was like no one was really interested and if they could have got away with loud,exaggerated yawns they would have done.

It struck me as a group for people who were fairly socially able and not one that would help along anyone who struggled in that respect .

Maybe you aren't supposed to feel totally relaxed first time but equally if you're really stressed out it would be idiotic to say that's doing you good .