Go Back   SAUK Discussion Board > General Discussion > The Lounge
Join! Blogs FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

Reply  Post New Thread

Old 12th December 2018, 14:38

Mood
Sad

Default Poor sound proofing in properties

My home is lovely BUT the soundproofing is very poor. I can hear my neighbours clearly when they talk and shout.

What's the soundproofing like in your home?
Old 12th December 2018, 14:44

Default Re: Poor sound proofing in properties

It's the same in mine. I can't usually hear normal talking, but anything louder than that I can, and any general banging or bumping sounds like it's coming from inside my own place. They have a dog who likes to bark a lot to, which is fun.

I don't mind it too much because it makes me feel less guilty about them possibly hearing my telly, but it can be annoying, especially with our bedrooms being next to each other's (I assume). My bed's all creaky and I think they must be able to hear it every time I turn over Good job I don't use it for anything more than sleeping.

From the other side though, I never hear a peep.
Old 12th December 2018, 15:09

Mood
Tired

it's awful in my home,. or at least was awful,
I recall my heart sinking the first night I was in my home and heard the neighbours; music, tv, talking, shagging,.
I'd put ALL my long-term savings into this house, and it totally broke my heart to realise how shit it then was.
I heard a humming noise once,..as I got nearer the wall it got louder,
as I stood looking closely at the wall, the humming stopped,. then I heard a "ping" noise,.
the humming was the microwave next door being used

I eventually ended up actually building new walls in front of all the party walls,
it was a lot of upset and hard work, but it has paid off.
Old 12th December 2018, 16:30
Banned

We're in a semi, with one neighbour.
It's pretty good. Couple in their 60s next door, hardly hear them , not sure if they're just quiet or the walls have good sound proofing.
Although, in my bedroom, I occasionally hear them late at night laughing or chatting but its quite distant and it never lasts long.

I've lived in places that had awful sound proofing, and hearing other people's noise really stressed me out.

I'm worried when my fella buys a house here , about living next to someone noisy. Asking the seller is pointless ,they want to sell their house so will make out neighbours are fine.
Old 12th December 2018, 18:08

Mood
Fine

Ive had problems with neighbors in the flat above me music wise (general low frequency bass type noises). Thankfully since the last noisy lot moved out last year Ive not had any problems.

I also (as does everyone else in the building) get a lot of problems late at night/early morning from "Boy Racers" revving up their engines every weekend in the car park below the building. Dont know if this anything to do with soundproofing mind. Just a bunch of selfish assholes who like making lots of noise and dont care how many people they are keeping awake!!!
Old 12th December 2018, 18:12

It doesn't seem too bad where I live, but that's partly because most of those living in my street are past the first flush of youth and pretty quiet anyway. The neighbours who connect to my living room wall are pretty quiet, I hear them only when they argue (which isn't too often) and I've never heard their television or radio.

On the other side, my neighbour is an alcoholic and when he does have a drink, he tends to get night terrors, which I can hear clearly through the bedroom wall (the upside of this is that he doesn't have the best of health and knows that if he calls for help, I'll be able to hear him. As for how much he can hear from my house, all I'll say is that he hears less now that I'm single again!

The most annoying noises are the constant bleeping from the door of the shop across the road and the noise of the refrigerated delivery vehicles calling there (which can actually drown out my television).

Sent from my SM-J330FN using Tapatalk
Old 12th December 2018, 18:26

It's pretty shit. We can hear the neighbours above walking around their flat, moving furniture regularly and hoovering 4/5 times per day up to midnight
Old 12th December 2018, 19:14
Co-Administrator

Mood
Tired

Mine's poor I guess. Mostly it's the noise from outside - ppl talking, cars etc..

Obviously I've also got my git of a neighbour who blares music at pub/night club levels. He's put laminate flooring down as well (against the tenancy agreement) so him and his mates carrying on is pretty loud.
Old 16th December 2018, 19:52

Ugghh, this is one of those subjects that makes me SO ****ing angry. There ought to be strict laws governing this kind of thing, and also how small you are allowed to build a house or flat (some of them are like rabbit hutches). I don't care what effect it has on the housing sector. This ruins people's lives. If I had to list the things I hate most about living in the UK, housing would be right up there (along with The Sun newspaper and Ed Sheeran).
Old 16th December 2018, 20:07

Mood
Alienated

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moksha
If I had to list the things I hate most about living in the UK, housing would be right up there (along with The Sun newspaper and Ed Sheeran).
Incidentally, in my childhood house when my parents knocked down a wall to turn two bedrooms into one, the wall was stuffed with old copies of The Sun for padding.