SAUK Discussion Board

Go Back   SAUK Discussion Board > Social Anxiety Discussions > Other Issues and Conditions
Join! Blogs FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

Reply  Post New Thread

Old 2nd March 2017, 18:47

Default Coping with injuries

I've currently got my wrist in a cast and it is having a massive impact on my mood. I normally rely on exercise to manage my mood and not being able to do it is leaving me fighting off depression. Keep feeling quite low and full I'd despair and desperation. My concentration has got worse and I'm struggling to get any uni work done.

I'm also feeling more isolated as can't go to the gym, swimming or climbing. Can't drive so can't go different places. Also struggling to do things in my own at the moment.

Lots of other stuff going on as well which really is not helping.

Anyone got any coping strategies? Mine are pretty much written off at the moment so I need some new ones which I can do with one hand. Ended up resorting to poor coping mechanisms a few times recently and want to avoid getting into that again.
Old 3rd March 2017, 14:35

Default Re: Coping with injuries

That sounds incredibly frustrating. Are you able to do any walking? I know it's not the same as the other, more exciting things you listed but it's better than nothing, maybe you can borrow a dog to walk if you feel weird on your own.

I'm in a similar position to you but it's a leg for me rather than an arm, so I'm interested to hear if you come up with anything. I'm doing a lot of reading at the moment but I reach a limit with that.
Old 3rd March 2017, 18:02

I recently broke my left clavicle, and I had my arm in a sling for months, unable to swim or ride a bike, I relied on walking every day, even on the rainy ones. It will recover in time, just do what you can in the mean time and try not to get too frustrated!
Old 3rd March 2017, 18:23

I am doing a fair bit if walking but that hasn't stopped my mood dropping. Been feeling bit depressed and getting pretty anxious. Had a few moments where I've just lost it and been hysterical, resorting to self harm a few times.

Knew it would be hard but didn't expect the impact on my mental health to be so big.

Got told yesterday that I have another six weeks in cast.
Old 3rd March 2017, 20:51

Oh man, same happened to me in october, injured my shoulder and couldn't workout for a while and it lowered my mood massively and anxiety too. Just bare in mind that it's a temporary injury, you'll heal and get back on track with your activities.
I know how frustrating it is.
Old 7th March 2017, 12:25

^ Thanks jam. Helps knowing I'm not alone in finding it ridiculously tough. Did you manage to find any other ways to cope?

Spoke to someone last night who fractured the same bone as me back in August. He was in cast for eight weeks and said he had a hellish time as well.

Can't do the things that would help. Managed to get to climbing wall a couple of times recently but reliant on other people driving me there. Would really help to be able to get away for a bit, or at least go somewhere different for a day but reliant on other people and the SA means there aren't many of those.

Three months in cast. it is at least healing though, and there was a fairly high chance that it wouldn't heal at all. Another five and a half weeks to go.