SAUK Discussion Board

Go Back   SAUK Discussion Board > Social Anxiety Discussions > Room with a View
Join! Blogs FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

Reply  Post New Thread

Old 6th April 2024, 18:09

Default Supplements

Who here takes supplements? Ive been taking Floradix for a while now. I think it helps with my mood etc.

Mine is nice tasting! Liquid form as I cant swallow capsules!
Old 7th April 2024, 11:13

Default Re: Supplements

I take a Boots A-Z every other day, plus a daily Vitamin D as I don't get much sunlight. My diet while these days is low in calories doesn't include much in the way of fruit and veg so I'm hoping the supplements do some making up for dietary failings

It's really hard to know if they do anything. Could be placebo, could be real. I do have better mood than I used to, and more energy, but that could be to the current caloric restriction too.
Old 7th April 2024, 13:08

Not any more. I used to when I was vegetarian, but I eat fish now. I eat a lot of fruit and veg.
Old 7th April 2024, 13:37

My doctor advised me to take iron, folate and B12 supplements as my levels were low but I keep forgetting to take them. Probably being vegetarian is a cause of this deficiency (vitamin deficiency, not memory deficiency)
Old 7th April 2024, 13:37

Mood
Cynical

Quote:
Originally Posted by sophie79
I take a Boots A-Z every other day, plus a daily Vitamin D as I don't get much sunlight. My diet while these days is low in calories doesn't include much in the way of fruit and veg so I'm hoping the supplements do some making up for dietary failings

It's really hard to know if they do anything. Could be placebo, could be real. I do have better mood than I used to, and more energy, but that could be to the current caloric restriction too.
It's definitely a good idea to take a multivitamin if you don't eat much fruit and veg as there are vitamins and minerals that we all need that you might be missing some of, or not getting enough. Good for the immune system and overall health. Also vitamin D is good to take as like you say most of us don't get enough. A doctor told my partner this so I tend to think it's probably sound advice lol. (Disclaimer, obviously always follow the recommended dosage and advice on the packaging and check with your GP if you have any questions.)
Old 7th April 2024, 14:20

It's best to speak to a doctor if you're worried about deficiencies because it's easy to take too much of certain supplements, especially if they're included in your diet e.g. vitamin e, iron. Too much can make you unwell.
Old 7th April 2024, 16:58

Thats true biscuits . I recently had way to much B12 in a blood test...its really hard to know too because even if you eat a varied diet you might not get enough. I need to start eating fish too as Ive not had any for a while. What sort of fish do you like biscuits?
Old 7th April 2024, 17:29

I used to take supplements in the past. Such as vitamins and protein powders. I evan ate a pomegranate at one point! Whereas now I don't take anything. Although I might consider taking a multivitamin again. I think I stopped taking them because I was expecting too much from them. One of the claims was that it could help with cognitive functionality. Or something like that. And even after taking them for a while, I still had to look up how to spell Mensa. So I think you have to take these claims with a pinch of vitamins. Although I'm not very knowledgeable about these things, so I would take my post with a pinch of pot noodle.
Old 7th April 2024, 20:48

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shy_pretty_Angela
Thats true biscuits . I recently had way to much B12 in a blood test...its really hard to know too because even if you eat a varied diet you might not get enough. I need to start eating fish too as Ive not had any for a while. What sort of fish do you like biscuits?
Good job you had the blood test to find out.

Fish… wow… anything really. There’s a fish market near me which has a great selection. My favourites from the market are mackerel, sardines, sprats. I like lemon sole, which I get frozen and has crumbs around it. I eat salmon (which I’m not the hugest fan of). Then there’s always trusty tinned tuna in olive oil every now and then!

What do you like?
Old 8th April 2024, 09:48

Im a bit boring with fish. Just cod and herring or plaice. White fish really. My doctor told me its best to take supplements during the week and take weekends off.
I do eat a lot of fresh vegetables so think Im ok.
Old 8th April 2024, 22:08

^ that's not boring, that's delicious!
Old 8th April 2024, 22:38

Mood
Tired

I take a few things (when I can remember)
Vitamin C
vitamin D
gut bacteria thingy,
Ginko Biloba (she's my baby)
and Macushield,

I'm probably nuts for taking anything,
But every time I walk past Holland & Barrett and see it empty I feel sorry for them and end up going in and buying something relatively cheap and non-life-altering / safe.
Old 9th April 2024, 18:15

Its always empty isnt it? It must be quite easy working in there!
Old 10th April 2024, 10:09

Mood
Tired

^

aye,.. they'll probably be the next chain to have financial problems and shut down, sad to say
them and yankee candle shops