SAUK Discussion Board

Go Back   SAUK Discussion Board > SAUK Community > Club 30-81
Join! Blogs FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

Reply  Post New Thread

Old 1st July 2015, 13:36

Mood
Doh

Default Is life harder for teens/twenties now than when we were young?

I was a child of the 80's and a teenager in the 90's and personally I think they have it harder than we did, for the following reasons.

1.Photos
When I was a kid, you had your school picture, photo at Christmas, photo on your birthday, photos on holiday and that was about it. You only had 24 or 36 pictures on a roll and every picture was precious (except when you had to use up the film and took a picture of the car, the dog etc).
Now, they seem to be taking pictures every five minutes.

Which leads me nicely on to

2. Looks
We were a hideous Quasimodo generation compared to these little Barbie and Ken dolls. If I go through my yearbook, it's amazing how natural we all look, there were only a few girls who wore too much make-up, and there was a name for those (ahem). I don't remember anyone having an eating disorder at school either (although statistically there must have been someone)

3. Exams
I know people who took their A Levels three times and their driving tests 10 times. I myself took my Maths GCSE three times.
I had a semi-argument with my Mum the other day that my GCSE results of 3 A's, five B's and 2 C's, which were perfectly respectable in 1996, would simply not be good enough these days and I'd have to do them again until I came up with the A*'s.

4. Making mistakes
Or rather, not being allowed to make mistakes. This is to do with the Internet and competitive parenting. We were allowed to do stupid things, safe in the knowledge that no-one outside of our circle would know about it. We were able to try a job, decide we didn't like it and go and find another, and another and another without much loss of face.

5. Going out
We actually went out and met people face to face (hard when you were shy/weird, I grant you). It seemed a lot easier for people to just strike up conversations with each other, and I can only assume that maybe we were less judgemental?

Last edited by indiegirl1980; 1st July 2015 at 13:37. Reason: Errant full stops and plurals!
Old 1st July 2015, 13:43

Default Re: Is life harder for teens/twenties now than when we were young?

I think each generation has its negatives and positives in terms of opportunities, standards, social norms, technology.

there are things about the 60's that I think were great, but also there are things about the modern era that I am thankful we have.
Old 1st July 2015, 14:41

If Tinder etc had been around when I was younger, thngs would probably be very different. I dunno. It's probably for the best that it wasn't

I certainly don't remember people being less judgmental then. If anything they were meaner. Perhaps its just the same meanness come back round again, so to me it just sounds old.

I do think there is more of a general sense of optimism in young people tody, a sense of: "I'm going to do such-and-such." It's very inspiring. For me, it was: "I want to do such-and-such." "Don't be ridiculous. You'll fail. You can't. Join the million other average people and shut up." Boldness is rewarded more now I think, rather than being just deirded. This I think is absolutely crucial to society in so many ways.
Old 1st July 2015, 23:48

Mood
Tired

Quote:
If I go through my yearbook, it's amazing how natural we all look,
My teenage years were in the 1980s. The decade of big hair,bubble perms, mullets, shoulder pads etc Kids today look a hell of a lot more natural than they did back then

Quote:
We actually went out and met people face to face (hard when you were shy/weird, I grant you). It seemed a lot easier for people to just strike up conversations with each othe
For most people probably. But the great thing now is when it comes to making friends your not restricted to your immediate surroundings. No matter what obscure interests you have, or problems your having, you can find people to connect with, even if it is only online. It would have made a huge difference to me growing up to be able to find likeminded people and be able to share things and not feel so isolated and clueless.

Vinyl records, cassette tapes, camera film, 4 channel TV, 80s fashions etc etc fxck em I don't miss any of it
Old 2nd July 2015, 12:31
Banned at own request

I was a child in the 70s and teenager in the late 80s,

As a geek at school I somehow slipped through the net but most geeks were bullied senselessly, it seems far more acceptable now that other kids need windows re-installing or help when itunes wont update.

Adults were far more alien to the child and teenager of the 70s, they were the big things holding a whiskey that told you what you werent allowed to go out wearing, told you when food was and punished you. They were NOT the people you sat around and watched tv with or discussed homework with. I didnt discuss my future, I was told what my options were, most of my input now is from probably fake documentaries but it looks like kids and teenagers are listened to far more now.

I passed through the system as "assignments" were all the rage, 1/3 exams, 1/3 small class tests and 1/3 assignments done at home. Before then it would have been all exams and I am sure I would have failed terribly. After that the t'interwebs made an appearance and my feeling is it is more about research than knowledge. This is based on nothing at all I should add, the second I left school I paid it no more mind.

And I most certainly miss vinyl. What ever happened to the 'event' of getting hold of some rare platter or the latest release.

Being odd, different and unusual certainly seems more acceptable nowadays. I dont mean different from adult society I mean different from other kids. When you look around school yards now (I DO NOT advise doing this as an adult ) there seems to be a huge variation. When I was a kid it was the beefy boys, the weeklings, the tidy toffs and the scruffy herberts.

I notice even the poorer kids still get what I would consider HUGE presents for christmas and birthday, I know inflation and tech society and wotnot but I really was made to value every single thing I was bought as a gift, I knew the value, knew they had to save to get it and knew there wasnt a magical man in red who just plonked it under a tree.

Damn I sound old.
Old 8th July 2015, 22:08

Mood
Doh

^^
I think that they're all turned out to a pattern myself, especially girls, and especially in private schools.
All these pretty little blond things (jealous, much? Lol!)
Old 6th October 2015, 14:32

I was also a 90s teenager, the last generation to grow up before the internet and mobiles. I even remember losing my friends on nights out, at gigs etc and having to go home on my own! There is thankfully very little photographic evidence from that time.
I think they have it harder in most respects. I was brought up to do slightly better than average. There was a sense that if you showed up and worked hard (not super hard) then you could get an average life, which included owning your own house and so on. Most people didn't aspire to more. It was okay to take risks or arse about in your youth because you could always settle down later. The future looks a lot bleaker for the average person now. And at the same time, you are exposed to more media than ever, showing you what other people have.
On the plus side there is less pressure on young people to conform and they are listened to more. They tend to have much more liberal parents, but that can be a double edged sword. The good things are mostly superficial. But I think you can be more aware of your problems, including mental health problems because of the internet and look for solutions. It's much easier to find like minded people which is great.
Old 4th November 2015, 01:51

Mood
Tired

I'm not yet 30, but have a romanticised idea of the past, but will stay neutral.

Compared to decades gone by, I was wondering whether the constant exposure to social media rubs in your face what you don't have and how much better other people's lives are? O wpmder whether tis is a stressor common now that's not present in the past? Also, how are people so comfortabgle with having their lives on show for the world to know about on social media sites? Is it all that monster and red bull they drink?
Old 4th November 2015, 11:28
Co-Administrator

Mood
Tired

Quote:
Originally Posted by flumpsy

When I was a kid it was the beefy boys, the weeklings, the tidy toffs and the scruffy herberts.
That made me smile.
I left school in 1994. We had the tarts, the well 'ard's, the 'norms' and the squares. The most popular kids were nearly always the first two categories.

In answer to the OP I don't know, I think there is more pressure but I think there's more opportunity too (for some anyway).
I think my school days though were more laid back and there was less rules/regulation and for that I am appreciative. Though I feel kid's were nastier.