SAUK Discussion Board

Go Back   SAUK Discussion Board > SAUK Community > Club 30-81
Join! Blogs FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

Reply  Post New Thread

Old 5th January 2016, 11:10

Default other health issues-pain management?

Hi,
I was wondering if anyone else struggles with pain regularly & whether it effects your mood.

When I was younger I was quite physically strong, I had a physical job (which might have contributed to my problems now) & I used to run, dance & do yoga. I was much happier when I was active.

Now I have arthritis in my spine & 2 ruptured discs, & I'm about 2 stone over weight. I have physio & my back improved a lot with me following the physio's exercises & advice. I went swimming a lot last year. In the last 2 months I've not been going swimming, for different reasons, & I'm fed up that I'm back at square one, in very bad pain & taking codeine every day.

I'm only in my early 40s, & know lots of people are still really fit at my age. It does get me down.

Anyone else have this kind of **** to put up with?!

Last edited by jinny; 5th January 2016 at 11:11. Reason: sp
Old 5th January 2016, 13:13

Default Re: other health issues-pain management?

Sorry it's all getting you down. No wonder! Hopefully you will get back to swimming soon. Chronic pain is definitely going to have an impact on your mood Jinny. You're still a young 'un so I'm sure things will improve albeit slowly. Just going to take some time. Good luck! Hope you get some helpful replies soon
Old 5th January 2016, 22:29
Co-Administrator

A doctor once suspected I had fibromyalgia but I don't think I'm in enough pain regularly to have it. I suffer a lot with neck and shoulder pain plus headaches. Managed largely by medication. I also swim when I have the time. I think it's a pretty good form of exercise, the water supports you doesn't it?
Old 5th January 2016, 23:15

Mood
Tired

codeine products,. whilst being lovely for pain, do give me enough side effects to cause concern,

I started getting really awful joint pain in my hands and wrists a few years ago which had me awake all night and yelping with pain if anything accidentally, unexpectedly touched them or moved them,. went to doctors who referred me onto hospital a few times for tests but nothing came of it,

after a year or so the pains have subsided somewhat but the knock-on effect of not being able to do certain things has caused other problems.

solpadeine soluble tablets seem to suit me when it gets bad,

basically in the last few years all I seem to get are twinges, spasms, and aches of one sort or another
it is hard to just accept this shit as part of getting old.

needless to say all the doctors always said "lose weight"....

erm,. I have horrible joint pain so exercising always feels like it is probably going to kill me
Old 6th January 2016, 16:06

It is annoying, I expect everyone starts to get some pain or difficulties as they get older...it's just that I don't feel ready to get old yet!

I did go swimming yesterday, for the first time in a few months. I actually like to swim & am quite a strong swimmer, but I hate going because of my sa. As it happens I did get laughed at (I know..aren't people mean!) not because I look so bad in my costume, which I do, as there's lots of other old, fat people there, but because I have industrial size goggles, a nose clip and ear plugs. I suppose I do look quite silly, but it's the only way I can swim properly.

After I went in the jaccuzzi, which I do like, but hate the health suite itself, as there's a little gaggle of older men in there every day, who all talk loudly & swear a lot & call me 'luv' (which I hate)...but yesterday I spoke to one & asked after his Christmas..& he told me all about how he lost his wife a few years back & showed me pictures of his Christmas dinner he had on his phone..so that was more contact than I usually have. Which must be a good thing?

Anyway, rambling on, sorry
Old 8th January 2016, 21:42

Mood
Dreaming

Old 8th January 2016, 21:45
Co-Administrator

^ I tend to do this when I visit the GP too. I don't want to cause any trouble so I make out things aren't as bad as they really are

I've had an MRI scan, but it was over a decade ago so I'm not sure if my experience is really relevant any more. I had music playing whilst they did the scan and I'm not sure if I was shut in? I think the end is open.
Old 10th January 2016, 11:32

sorry to hear you're struggling too Mog. I've had an MRI before & it is daunting, but they do have a panic button & talk you through it all..it goes quicker than you think.
Old 16th February 2016, 17:31

Mood
Alienated

My epilepsy is spawned from the brain injury - which basically caused all the s#it I'm saddled with now. After a Sz the headaches are so unbelievably blinding/intense. GP prescribes Cocodomal but told me too much codeine based meds cause headaches themselves.
Despite neuro problems I still practice Shukokei Karate (wearing a helmet). Have to keep fit & excercises/kata/meditation elements tick all the boxes.
One of my Senseis suggested white Tiger Balm rubbed into forehead for headaches & red Tiger Balm for muscular probs. They work for me but not for everyone. Try it?
Old 15th March 2016, 14:51

Mood
Dreaming

Hi. I'm going cold turkey on my pain meds - it's only been one day so far.
Old 16th March 2016, 11:43

Good luck, Mog

I stopped taking codeine, because I realised it was giving me sleep apnoea, I'm doing ok & just take paracetamol instead
Old 19th March 2016, 01:51

Mood
Paranoid

I have JHS, and it is very annoying. I heard anxiety and JHS (joint hypermobility syndrome) do come together. I can't really carry heavy stuff and my muscles are tight a lot. No impact sports like tennis for me -- if I do a slam my joint can dislocate itself
Old 22nd March 2016, 14:40

aww, winter, I'd get it checked out by the GP. Hope it feels better soon x

@t1racyjacks, do you mind me asking roughly how old you are & if your JHS has got better or worse over the years? Sorry if that feels a bit too personal..it's just my eldest child has the same thing & scoliosis. He's 9 atm & is suffering a lot again with pain in his legs, I think because like you say, the muscles can't stretch out, especially after exercise.
have you had physio for it?
Old 29th March 2016, 10:36

might be worth a try, Flumpsy, thank you.

My back is very bad again & I'm back on the codeine, which gives me a horrible nights sleep.
Old 29th March 2016, 11:07
Co-Administrator

I'm sure I used to have a TENS machine when I was younger for my neck pain. Maybe it's worth trying again?
Old 29th March 2016, 13:12
Co-Administrator

I was going to ask you if you would recommend a specific one? First fridge advice, and now TENS machines I gave them a quick look on Amazon and they range from around the 20 mark up to about 150 (but it's wireless). There was a 50 one I was looking at but I don't know if the more expensive ones are any better?
Old 29th March 2016, 13:28
Co-Administrator

That looks great Flumps, thanks! I think I'll do a bit of research and I'd want to use it on my neck and shoulders but I know you can't stick the pads on the front or side of the neck.
Old 29th March 2016, 13:30

Will I get a six pack if I stick the pads on my stomach?
Old 29th March 2016, 13:35
Co-Administrator

^^I think you're confusing it with one of those abs belt things
Old 29th March 2016, 13:38

Serious question (weird eh?) : would this kind of thing work on internal non muscle related pain?
Old 29th March 2016, 13:48

Ty.
Old 30th March 2016, 21:22

My back was quite bad through the winter period, and my job certainly does not help.
I have since seen a physio and I have to say the simple exercises have helped quite a lot. I was told that I probably have a bulging disc, but so do quite a percentage of the population.

I've also been trying to improve my general fitness by doing old fashioned push ups and sit ups, and some weights. I certainly feel stronger and fitter and less round the middle. No back pain for many weeks now.
I would have thought going back to your swimming would help, plus a little bit of weight loss.

Have you tried anti-inflammatory drugs like Ibuprofen?
Old 1st April 2016, 21:20

Mood
Dreaming

I'm purchasing a TENS machine as we speak. What a top tip, thanks flumpsy!
Old 1st April 2016, 21:23
Co-Administrator

I've only used mine once so far so I shall withhold judgement