SAUK Discussion Board

Go Back   SAUK Discussion Board > SAUK Community > Club 30-81
Join! Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Notices

Closed Thread  Post New Thread

Old 30th June 2006, 09:47

Default St Johns Wort

I've been thinking of buying some herbal stuff for depression and was wondering if anybody has tried any herbal stuff such as st johns wort and if it was any good.

My mood is very low at the moment but I don't want to take prescribed drugs. Had loads of problems coming off seroxat a couple of years ago.
Old 30th June 2006, 10:32

Default Re: St Johns Wort

Hi Kathy

I've been on it for 6 months, it's the only anti dep I've taken. It's worked well for me. There was a time back when I refused to take any meds at all, but I went away down and had to take it. It lifted me out of a very dark place. I did feel it wasn't enough a few months ago, but the docs refused to give me anything else, and I have persevered and it does seem to be doing the job. It took about 2 months before I noticed any difference.

Only thing with SJW is it is more powerful than people think, and it can react with prescribed drugs. It interferes with the way the contraceptive pill works, for example. And my nurse said that it made a woman so elated she went manic and had to be detained. Very rare I reckon for people to react this way. Anyhows, I would speak to your GP about it rather than just taking it.

There's loads of good stuff online about it. I found a German research article on it which was interesting. In German psychiatry it is the first drug of choice for treatment for depression. I can't find the link anymore but I am sure if you search on Google you'll find it.
Old 30th June 2006, 14:01

I think the main problem with SJW is that there seems to be this whole debate about which chemical(s) within the plant do the job. The main one mentioned is hypericin but other sources seem to cite hyperforin as the key ingredient.

How much of each of these is needed and how much is delivered by your average "off the shelf" preparation seems to be veiled in secrecy.

Having said that, I've been taking ASDA's SJW capsules for a while now and I do feel that my mood and anxiety levels are generally better than they were. The thing is, it's quite subtle, so it's difficult to pinpoint exactly how it's helping. I think you just realise over a period of time that there have been less anxious episodes.

In my case, I've also been getting some counselling and have cut out caffeine so it makes knowing the reason for the improvement even harder to assess.
Old 30th June 2006, 14:23

Thats good to hear - I need to buy something to get me out of this dark hole - I'm just abit weary about taking meds in general at the moment cos I'm trying to concieve - SJW is herbal, so it shouldn't interfere
Old 30th June 2006, 17:47

Firewomand and Durham - how much of it do you need to take though? I've just started using it (2 weeks) - I take 2 300mg tabs a day - dunno how much hypericin's in it though.
Old 30th June 2006, 19:37

I went to holland & Barrett today and decided against as its not safe if you're pregnant or trying to get pregnant - I'll just have to stay miserable:-)
Old 2nd July 2006, 23:38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allgood
Firewomand and Durham - how much of it do you need to take though? I've just started using it (2 weeks) - I take 2 300mg tabs a day - dunno how much hypericin's in it though.
I started off on 3 tabs a day of the 300mg SJW you can buy in Holland and Barrett (0.30% Hypericin). I am trying to cut down to 2 a day cos my nurse suggested I do.
Old 15th July 2006, 15:41

Mood
Mellow

I tried ST John's Wort a few years back mistakenly with Seroxat and I think it did little if nothing for me at all apart from giving me eczema around the waist. It's a known side effect for people with fair skin after taking st john's wort.

It might work for you though.
Old 16th July 2006, 14:48

Try 5-HTP from Holland & Barrett or elsewhere on the net. Google it find out more... i've heard they work for some people better than others. I can state that they have helped to calm me and they are completley natural.

http://www.hollandandbarrett.com/pag...76&CID=38#D200
Closed Thread