Join! Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Notices

Closed Thread  Post New Thread

Old 2nd April 2010, 11:58
Co-Administrator

Mood
Dreaming

Default Re: Psychics/Mediums........

Cold reading. Just look at Derren Brown. We all want to believe, that's why it works.
Old 2nd April 2010, 12:57

Mood
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrissy coleman
Stop trying to be a smartarse, coz its not going to work- you were not there, plus uve never even had a personal reading so you really dont know what ur talking about. She never "fished" for anything whatsoever, i never told her one thing about me at all. And no, my mum didnt have a common illness actually- at the time she died only 2 in every million people had it and they didnt know much about it- so no it wasnt common. :rolleyes:
Sorry im not being a smart arse, Im just explaining how they do, your right i've never had a reading but I have been to see two mediums (at the pub) I sat there cringing at how everyone lapped it up and were amazed at all there "incredible psychic ability", I could see right through it, I do know what they do and how they do it, I could get a pub full of people to believe I was psychic if I had the confidence to do it. I can't stress enough how easy it is to appear psychic when you know how.

Im not 100% sure how she knew your mum's illness if it was rare, guess she must of done some homework. I can tell you one way she didn't get that info. She didn't get it from beyond the grave.

If the dead can contact the living you would think they could of given just one fact or piece of info to confirm it over the thousands of years and millions of sessions? Im sure my granddad would be eager to contact me and tell me im wrong if there was an afterlife, im sure he would love to tell me about where he was, what it's like, who he's with. So why havn't any mediums phoned me up saying your granddad has a message?
Old 2nd April 2010, 13:08

Mood
Fine

I used to love the paranormal and was interested it in a young age. Doesn't make it any truer though.
Old 2nd April 2010, 13:39

Mood
Confused

Quote:
Originally Posted by E Dub
Sorry im not being a smart arse, Im just explaining how they do, your right i've never had a reading but I have been to see two mediums (at the pub) I sat there cringing at how everyone lapped it up and were amazed at all there "incredible psychic ability", I could see right through it, I do know what they do and how they do it, I could get a pub full of people to believe I was psychic if I had the confidence to do it. I can't stress enough how easy it is to appear psychic when you know how.

Im not 100% sure how she knew your mum's illness if it was rare, guess she must of done some homework. I can tell you one way she didn't get that info. She didn't get it from beyond the grave.

If the dead can contact the living you would think they could of given just one fact or piece of info to confirm it over the thousands of years and millions of sessions? Im sure my granddad would be eager to contact me and tell me im wrong if there was an afterlife, im sure he would love to tell me about where he was, what it's like, who he's with. So why havn't any mediums phoned me up saying your granddad has a message?
Look, Im not disagreeing that there are probably alot of 'fakes' out there, im not so narrow minded or gullable as to think there arent many fakes- but there are genuine psychics too, i dont know how you can say that ALL of them are fake, thats ridiculous- and the psychic i saw couldnt have done any "homework", she didnt know anything whatsoever about me, so she cudnt have done her homework, and i didnt say a word to her about anything, yet she told me things she cudnt possibly have known.
Old 2nd April 2010, 13:49

Mood
Fine

Quote:
but there are genuine psychics too, i dont know how you can say that ALL of them are fake, thats ridiculous-
It's ridiculous to say that I know as a fact that they are all fake.

But it's not ridiculous to say that, to my knowledge, it's never been proven and noone has ever been able to show reliable scientific evidence that they have psychic skills. However, there are many techniques that have been used so that one can fake being one and people do believe them. There are many scientific studies on cold reading experimets that show this and people also feel 'wow. There's no way they could have know that.' even though it was just clever skills and techniques not related to talking with the dead.

Therefore, until shown otherwise I call it bogus.

Edit: Also I'm not saying that the people are all intentionally deceiving. They may 'feel' they have a 'power' but it can't be shown or substantiated.

Quote:
and the psychic i saw couldnt have done any "homework", she didnt know anything whatsoever about me, so she cudnt have done her homework, and i didnt say a word to her about anything, yet she told me things she cudnt possibly have known.
It was convincing enough for you then believe it. We weren't there so it shouldn't convince us to believe.
Old 2nd April 2010, 13:59

Mood
Confused

Quote:
Originally Posted by Optimistic
It's ridiculous to say that I know as a fact that they are all fake.

But it's not ridiculous to say that, to my knowledge, it's never been proven and noone has ever been able to show reliable scientific evidence that they have psychic skills. However, there are many techniques that have been used so that one can fake being one and people do believe them. There are many scientific studies on cold reading experimets that show this and people also feel 'wow. There's no way they could have know that.' even though it was just clever skills and techniques not related to talking with the dead.

Therefore, until shown otherwise I call it bogus.

Edit: Also I'm not saying that the people are all intentionally deceiving. They may 'feel' they have a 'power' but it can't be shown or substantiated.

It was convincing enough for you then believe it. We weren't there so it shouldn't convince us to believe.

I dont mind if other people dont believe it, I do however.
Old 2nd April 2010, 14:21

Mood
Curious

Quote:
Same here.
I believe in Psychics in and Mediums also - although I accept there are alot of fake one's (Sylvia Brown, one of the most famous one's, I'm VERY suspicious of).
I also believe in reincarnation (I have actually read some pretty convincing evidence on this, though can't be arsed to find a link) and that our lives are very likely planned out before we live them.
I know in many peoples eyes this makes me a deluded fool but I don't really give a monkey's
Old 2nd April 2010, 14:34

As I mentioned in some another psychics thread a while ago, if they could truly speak/listen to the dead and know things about you/your family that only you know about, then they wouldn't have to ask you questions in the first place, they'd just tell you. They ask questions because, rather than being "psychic", they use cold reading and deductive reasoning based on the answers you give them (as well as observing other facts that you don't need to mention, such as age, clothing, jewellery, physical features, etc). Some "psychics" can be excellent at this, and leave you truly believing in their alleged abilities, but it's not real.

They're really quite awful people, in my opinion.
Old 2nd April 2010, 14:56

Mood
Fine

Quote:
That's fine. But its not narrow minded to say there isn't evidence for it and that they are very likely to all be bogus.

I also don't agree with people exploiting others for money, in difficult times.
Old 2nd April 2010, 15:53

Mood
Tired

[QUOTE=chrissy coleman;943722]- i saw an old lady sitting in my living room as a child that no one else could see, she was just sitting there smiling at me, i remember it clearly. And about 3 years after my mum died i was sat in the living room at my dads house, and suddenly i smelt her perfume all around me- i knew it straight away as i didnt ever like that particular perfume she wore,lol, she'd bought me some once and i gave it to her. QUOTE]
there have been documented cases of young children "seeing" older people, people they didn't know or recognise, only to later discover who they were from family photographs, they actually recognised who they saw as a child,.......
my father visited me once, and also an aunt
I feel that only a small fraction of people are sensitive or open enough to receive these messages, and no matter how many times you explain yourself to people they will never get it, it's pointless arguing to-and-fro,....you know what you know, and no-one else will ever 'get it' unless they've had a similar experience.
Old 2nd April 2010, 15:57

Mood
Cool

^good posts

I will leave you with this. Psychics are very similar to magicians, the only difference being, magicians wouldn't try and convince scientists what they do is supernatural.
Old 2nd April 2010, 16:04

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerry302199
I feel that only a small fraction of people are sensitive or open enough to receive these messages
Does being open enough not just mean lowering your standard of evidence?
Old 2nd April 2010, 16:29

Mood
Confused

[QUOTE=jerry302199;943952]
Quote:
- i saw an old lady sitting in my living room as a child that no one else could see, she was just sitting there smiling at me, i remember it clearly. And about 3 years after my mum died i was sat in the living room at my dads house, and suddenly i smelt her perfume all around me- i knew it straight away as i didnt ever like that particular perfume she wore,lol, she'd bought me some once and i gave it to her. QUOTE]
there have been documented cases of young children "seeing" older people, people they didn't know or recognise, only to later discover who they were from family photographs, they actually recognised who they saw as a child,.......
my father visited me once, and also an aunt
I feel that only a small fraction of people are sensitive or open enough to receive these messages, and no matter how many times you explain yourself to people they will never get it, it's pointless arguing to-and-fro,....you know what you know, and no-one else will ever 'get it' unless they've had a similar experience.
Yes I totally agree.
Old 2nd April 2010, 16:42
Banned

Mood
Curious

noone knows what people can experience, so someone may see something another person may not, some people have premonitions, and i can sense someone will disagree with this.. does that mean im a psychic!
Old 2nd April 2010, 16:48

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerry302199
I feel that only a small fraction of people are sensitive or open enough to receive these messages, and no matter how many times you explain yourself to people they will never get it
This could be an example of the form of manipulation the psychics would use.

Only those who have a special ability and have the sensativity will be able have these experiences. Weak and vulnerable people really want to agree because its a reward to their egos by confirming they possess these special positive personality traits. The cold readers simply exploit this.

Anyone can fall for this because its everyones choice to say whether or not they can feel a presence, or believe their dead relative is still in reach of them through then power of the medium. If your weak and looking for some kind of external validation from an authority i.e. the cold reader and likewise thinkers all you have to do is let go of your rational thinking and go off into some fantasy world led my your intuition. To some this can be an attractive option.

Not saying jerry is trying to manipulate people here intentially though, I dont think he is.

http://www.wikihow.com/Cold-Read nice little guide on how to do it, theres some interesting stuff.
Old 2nd April 2010, 17:45

Mood
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oolong
http://www.wikihow.com/Cold-Read nice little guide on how to do it, theres some interesting stuff.
good stuff.

To all the believers. Next time you in to see a medium, read that guide carefully just before going, you will see that the "psychic" performs every one of those steps to the letter.
Old 2nd April 2010, 18:03

Mood
Balanced

on the past couple of cold readings ive had ive not been asked to confirm any details or questions so the reader could tease some information out of me , hell ive even had a couple of ( free ) tarot card readings done via email so ive never seen or even spoken to the person in question and the predictions has always been 99% accurate

sorry but ive experienced it for myself and i believe it , my first reading was just done for a laugh ( total sceptic ) and i didnt think much of it but a few months down the line most of the things came true and not just little everyday things either , big once in a lifetime things that you would never guess
Old 2nd April 2010, 18:50

Mood
Fine

I find it funny how one of the arguments for mediums in this thread is that the rest of us just aren't 'open' or 'sensitive' enough. That's not evidence but just an ad hominem argument.

It just amazes me that those we are 'real' psychics can't get significant evidence in a scientific study. I wonder why...
Old 2nd April 2010, 20:53

Mood
Confused

Quote:
Originally Posted by andy o
on the past couple of cold readings ive had ive not been asked to confirm any details or questions so the reader could tease some information out of me , hell ive even had a couple of ( free ) tarot card readings done via email so ive never seen or even spoken to the person in question and the predictions has always been 99% accurate

sorry but ive experienced it for myself and i believe it , my first reading was just done for a laugh ( total sceptic ) and i didnt think much of it but a few months down the line most of the things came true and not just little everyday things either , big once in a lifetime things that you would never guess
Same here, im with you on this one totally.
Old 2nd April 2010, 20:55
Co-Administrator

Mood
Dreaming

Well the ultimate test would be for them to do a reading without seeing you at all. Then they couldn't get facial or vocal cues. Unfortunately this rarely happens.
Old 2nd April 2010, 22:01

Mood
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilly
omg is this debate still going on

Think we'll have to arrange group meet to a reputable psychic to settle this
Im sure we could arrange something (but the medium wouldn't let us in, we're not open minded enough )

^irony
Old 2nd April 2010, 22:13

I went to see a medium once but they were closed due to unforeseen circumstances.
Old 2nd April 2010, 22:29

Mood
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poltergeist
I went to see a medium once but they were closed due to unforeseen circumstances.
Old 3rd April 2010, 00:18

Mood
Fine

Quote:
Same here, im with you on this one totally.
You might agree with him but that doesn't back it up. If you manage to collect evidence to show that people can talk to the dead you'll be a very rich lady and have shown that an afterlife even exists.

I have my doubts you or anyone else will do this.
Old 3rd April 2010, 00:24

I don't think anyone in this thread is going to find a happy medium
Old 3rd April 2010, 00:31

Mood
Shoveit

Out of all the things psychics could possibly be doing, talking to the dead or mind reading seems the most unlikely explaination.

Surely these people should work for the government or something, not use their skills as a money maker to contact dead relatives.
Old 3rd April 2010, 02:16

Quote:
Originally Posted by RattyLady
I don't think anyone in this thread is going to find a happy medium
http://www.ilovewavs.com/Effects/Mus...%20Rimshot.wav
Old 3rd April 2010, 02:25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jake Bullet
haha *gets coat*
Old 3rd April 2010, 09:09

Mood
Confused

Quote:
Originally Posted by Optimistic
You might agree with him but that doesn't back it up. If you manage to collect evidence to show that people can talk to the dead you'll be a very rich lady and have shown that an afterlife even exists.

I have my doubts you or anyone else will do this.
Omg, you're starting to seriously f*cking wind me up now- I dont really CARE if I cant prove it, do you understand??? I couldnt give a s*it if i cant prove it- the bottom line is I believe in it, so nothing you or anyone else says is going to change my mind ok? Im not asking you or anyone else to believe it, but I do.
Old 3rd April 2010, 11:39

Mood
Fine

Quote:
Omg, you're starting to seriously f*cking wind me up now- I dont really CARE if I cant prove it, do you understand??? I couldnt give a s*it if i cant prove it- the bottom line is I believe in it, so nothing you or anyone else says is going to change my mind ok? Im not asking you or anyone else to believe it, but I do.
you're 'f*cking' winding yourself up.

I do understand you don't care if you can prove it. But that doesn't change the fact that I have no reason to believe in it and I'm allowed to say this. Where have I ever said that you should change your opinion? I think your post is pretty damn rude.

I'm allowed to say mediums, based on the current evidence, is very likely to be rubbish until SOMEONE gives evidence or proves it. I have no intention of changing your opinion but the idea that was mentioned in this thread I'm not open minded for not believing it is ridiculous, irrational and illogical.

If you disagree with something I said then tell me what you disagree with rather than arguing by saying 'I'm entitled to my opinion'. Obviously you are and I've never said otherwise. All I've said is just cos its your opinion doesn't make it any truer.

You seem to imply that I'm not entitled to post my opinion. I thought that this forum and thread was for us to post our opinion. :rolleyes:
Closed Thread