SAUK Discussion Board

Go Back   SAUK Discussion Board > Social Anxiety Discussions > The Social Anxiety Room
Join! Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Notices

Closed Thread  Post New Thread

Old 13th June 2010, 19:01

Default Strange feelng after CBT assessment

I had my intial assessment last week and came away feeling a bit strange. She was really nice and very warm but I felt as though I hadnt been able to expess myself thouroughly...I felt she was putting words in my mouth so to speak.

Although iim lookng forwad to my CBT sessions im really hoping they work/make a difference as its alot of money wasted if they dont.

can anyone relate?
Old 13th June 2010, 19:06

Default Re: Strange feelng after CBT assessment

I did CBT briefly with a therapist at university and felt pretty much the same thing. We didn't click, and I didn't think she understood my situation at all, so I stopped going. In retrospect, I should have found another therapist, though I'm not sure what my options would have been.
Old 13th June 2010, 21:42

Mood
Fine

Hi Sunset

I recently had an assessment too. It lasted for about 1hr and I was completely exhausted afterwards I spoke to a male therapist and felt very uncomfortable. However, I will have a second assessment for a to me unknown reason. I briefly spoke to the lady on the phone and she sounded a lot nicer.

You say a lot of money would be wasted... do you get private treatment?
Old 14th June 2010, 08:20

yes I am paying for it myself and its expensive. She thinks I will need about 8 sessions and they are £60-90 a go.
Old 14th June 2010, 09:42

Mood
Sad

I felt like this too, I went for my initial assessment a few weeks ago and it took 2 hours, I too was with a male therapist and felt quite uncomfortable, would have preferred a lady therapist.

after the assessment I was told I was put on the waiting list which is 12-18 months long, so I mite as well just forget about it for now.

I felt exhausted and I felt I was having words put into my mouth and he kept saying things like 'yeah that happens to me'

for some reason I was really upset when I came out of the assesment and just burst in to tears.

anyway, I was then invited to a second assesment because my G.P had contacted him to see if there was anything he could offer me in the meantime, which resulted in a referral to the CMHT.
Old 14th June 2010, 10:05

Mood
Amused

Sunset

You are paying and you are in control. I would say that it is very important that you feel comfortable with a therapist. You are the best judge of that. Does your therapist have experience with SA? or with other issues that you want to deal with?

I have had CBT within the NHS and privately and I found the private therapist I saw more helpful because she really seemed to make an effort. The NHS psychologist seemed overworked, a little bit sleepy, was sometimes late and was too intellectual - he used long words and I had to read a book on CBT in order to understand what he was going on about.

Having said that - I know my first session with my current, excellent therapist was quite traumatic for me. So see what you think next time!

Good Luck - I have to say that CBT has helped me enormously - with time and hard work putting techniques into practise!
Old 14th June 2010, 12:52

Mood
Balanced

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunset
I had my intial assessment last week and came away feeling a bit strange. She was really nice and very warm but I felt as though I hadnt been able to expess myself thouroughly...I felt she was putting words in my mouth so to speak.

Although iim lookng forwad to my CBT sessions im really hoping they work/make a difference as its alot of money wasted if they dont.

can anyone relate?
Hi Sunset,

I started CBT 2 weeks ago and have had 2 evaluation sessions. I found it relatively easy to explain things, but that is probably because I've had to do it a few times, to various people.

Anyway, like many people I find it much easier to articulate myself in written form. So, on my 2nd meeting I presented the therapist with a letter, detailing the main areas I would like to deal with and what I hoped to get from cbt. I also printed out the 2 blog entries I'd made on here, as it gave a rough overview of my problems and my interpretation of them. She seemed impressed and said we could talk around what I had written.

Maybe you could suggest doing something similar for your therapist? Could save time/money too. If you send it to them in advance of your session, you can hit the ground running.....and nobody is putting words in your mouth.

Worth considering....

Good luck,
LRR
Old 14th June 2010, 20:26

Mood
Fine

Quote:
Originally Posted by rachey
I felt like this too, I went for my initial assessment a few weeks ago and it took 2 hours, I too was with a male therapist and felt quite uncomfortable, would have preferred a lady therapist.

after the assessment I was told I was put on the waiting list which is 12-18 months long, so I mite as well just forget about it for now.

I felt exhausted and I felt I was having words put into my mouth and he kept saying things like 'yeah that happens to me'

for some reason I was really upset when I came out of the assesment and just burst in to tears.

anyway, I was then invited to a second assesment because my G.P had contacted him to see if there was anything he could offer me in the meantime, which resulted in a referral to the CMHT.
12-18 months is really long. They did not tell me how long the waiting list in my borough is. I too burst into tears after I had put the phone down and the worst thing was that I had to do the assessment whilst I was at work as they said this was the only appointment they could offer me for quite a long time. So I was sat there in my office answering all these questions and then started crying like a baby.... Luckily, none of my co-workers came into my office.

When trying to arrange an appointment I kept telling them that I am working and that I might not be able to speak. Do they not know how disturbing such an assessment can be? :rolleyes:
Old 15th June 2010, 17:43

That is a good idea red rooster....she has given me homework to do which invoves writing down all my safety behaviours....

think I may be jumping the gun a bit thinking its not going to work but the first session did feel a bit like she was comparing me to a blueprint of other people with SA.

The room itself was a bit bare and there were two classroom like chairs at a stark wooden desk. It didnt feel welcoming and when I was waiting outside I noticed that I could hear the conversations clearly of the person being counselled inside.

I dont want anyone in the waiting area hearing my conversation......
Old 16th June 2010, 10:43

I remember feeling that way after my first session where my therapist was just working out what my issues were, but I think it's just them trying to ensure they go down the correct route with you by ensuring they have correctly identified what general area of mental issues you are experiencing.

This can mean they appear not to listen, because they don't really want you to go into any massive detail in the first session. But once they have identified where your problems lie they are then more than willing to go into much more detail, which means listening to all you have to say. Like I say, I kind of felt that way after my first session with my therapist, but subsequently it turned out she was a great listener after that. Stay positive and keep an open mind at this point!
Closed Thread