SAUK Discussion Board

Go Back   SAUK Discussion Board > Social Anxiety Discussions > The Social Anxiety Room
Join! Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Notices

Closed Thread  Post New Thread

Old 30th March 2007, 09:28
muppet

Default Very girlie thread...men enter at your own risk!!

Hello....ive just spent the week being very down and mopey which finally came to a head when Hubby asked last night...whats wrong, has something happened? you are very down tonight! Well at 3am this morning the enevitible happened (yup the dreaded girly once amoth type thing without going into too much detail!! you know what I mean)

Well every month is the same and for a week before I get extremely mardy, bad tempered etc... even have felt verging on the suicidal in the past. I have tried various vitamins etc including epo but they only take the edge off.

I once sat and had a chat with a girl who had just attempted suicide for the second time and both times it had been the week before her period! she was convinced it was related and I an see her point of view.

Just intrigued to find out how many other people have felt this way? Has anyone felt this each month? Has anyone had any treatment that has helped or taking any vits that do help?

Ive heard agnus castus is good but to be honest ive taken that many vits this year I cant face another unless I know it can be beneficial.

Happy to hear from you on this!!

Sarah

Sorry fella's if curiosity got the better of you! did try to warn you!!
Old 30th March 2007, 10:59
CaughtByTheFuzz

Default Re: Very girlie thread...men enter at your own risk!!

Hi muppet! :D

Before I went on the pill (over 12 years ago) I used to get extremely heavy and painful periods and bad PMT.

PMT wise it was like I was possessed or something - everything got on my nerves, I was bitchy, snappy and would start stupid rows over the tiniest things. Also my periods lasted two weeks so just as I was getting over one I'd be lumbered with another.

It was getting so my whole life consisted of having to deal with my period and sometimes the pain was so bad I used to think I was going into labour.
Anyway, eventually I went to the doctor and he put me on the pill and it changed my life. I wasn't sexually active back then, the pill was just to balance out the periods and PMT.

My periods got much lighter and only lasted 3 or 4 days and the PMT pretty much vanished. Also, no pain. Mind you - this hasn't been an easy road either, it's taken 6 different ones to find one that suits me and actually I haven't taken it for about year (the reason why is another story) but my periods haven't reverted back to their natural ways yet.

I still get a very light monthly that only lasts a couple of days and only a touch of PMT. I've never tried herbal remedies but hot water bottles etc didn't make a blind bit of difference to me, I needed DRUGS.

I sympathise, it can be well miserable - people really don't realise what we go through (i.e men! )

If the pill hadn't been invented I don't know what I would've done!
Old 30th March 2007, 11:10

Mood
Dramaqueen

For me PMT varies for different months, and on the pill my PMT was actually worse (but periods became lighter)

most months PMT starting 2 weeks before (in bad cases) I had feelings of being down, no self esteem, then it turns into loosing my temper at the silliest thing and being snappy and touchy... it was SUCH a relief when it all drained out of me (so to speak!)

To be honest lately I haven't had a problem with PMT apart from feeling bloated and getting bad skin, maybe it's the chocolate helping!

but.. PMT is a bitch!
Old 30th March 2007, 11:16

Mood
Dramaqueen

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaughtByTheFuzz

it's taken 6 different ones to find one that suits me and actually I haven't taken it for about year (why is another story) but my periods haven't reverted back to their natural ways yet. I just get a very light monthy that only lasts a couple of days and only a touch of PMT.
Also took me around 4 attempts to get the right kind of pill
That probably explains my situation of lack of PMT at the moment, came off the pill around 6 months ago and still haven't gone back to how it was.
Old 30th March 2007, 13:38

Mood
Pensive

I don't have 'the curse' any more because thankfully I'm post-menopausal (had the change quite early) but I remember in my Thirties and beyond I used to get a blinding headache a couple of days before my period and paracetamol didn't shift it. I always knew when I was going to 'come on' because of this 'pre-monthly' migraine-type sick headache. Not very pleasant because it was quite debilitating and could come without warning when I was out and about. I suppose this was my form of PMT because having a headache of course affected my mood.
Old 30th March 2007, 13:52

I would give the Agnus Castus a try, you have nothing to lose.
My GP recommended it to me. She says the results with her other patients has been good. And it seems to help me.
Old 30th March 2007, 14:34

I never got PMT until just recently. I get more weepy and self indulgent than irritable or angry, and mope about looking sorry for myself.

I have always had really bad physical symptons though, but on the pill they are better. I used to pass out from the pain of cramps and once passed out in a public toilet cubicle in Sussex for several hours! Thankfully this is better now although I still always feel sick and wobbly.

And the most annoying this is I don't even want to have kids (partner already has 2!) so why do I go through it?! It should be possible to give it away to someone who can use it all!
Old 30th March 2007, 15:09

Im a absolute monster to live with the week before my period,I feel like Im losing my mind,Im constantly on edge,every little thing also winds me up,my hubby knows not to get on my wrong side at that time lol!:embarass: but the minute the PMT goes I feel so calm and relaxed for a few days after its like Im on a natural high
Old 30th March 2007, 16:25

Mood
Angelic

It's funny cos whenever a woman gets pissed off with me and starts moaning at me, I tell her to "stop being hormonal", she proceeds to hit me. This proves how hormonal she is, I recon!
Old 30th March 2007, 16:34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andist
It's funny cos whenever a woman gets pissed off with me and starts moaning at me, I tell her to "stop being hormonal", she proceeds to hit me. This proves how hormonal she is, I recon!
I wondered who would be brave enough to say something like that. :hidesbehi
Old 30th March 2007, 18:59

I used to get terrible periods when I was younger, really bad pain and I would feel really sick and dizzy when they started. I'm not terrible for the wild mood swings although I think sometimes I can be more weepy around my period time.

Since being on loestrin pill I actually rarely have a period. I don't really like being on the pill in someways but it certainly helped with the pain which was agony on the first day.
Old 31st March 2007, 01:37

Yeah in the past have had lots of problems, eleven years ago felt so depressed got into two separate lots of trouble with the law, looking back later both times was a week before I was due on, PMT was awful! Also the floods and severe pain, I was doubled up for several days, worst pain I've ever had, had to lie down with hot water bottles on tummy and lower back which did help. The only real relief was going on the pill after 15 years of suffering, no PMT and periods are very light and don't last long - phew! Can't wait til I'm past menopause, will feel really free at last. Men don't know they're born
Old 31st March 2007, 01:38

heloo.

I too suffered from terribly when on my period, i fainted, was constantly sick and wretching with the pain, i couldn't move and it was all very horrible! I didn't so much get pmt, i was just really ill...but like others here i went onto the pill. I have since been on the depo injection (every 3 months) and for me and most women (i think) it stops their period all together. I'm not very sure but maybe if the injection can stop the bleeding, it could stop some of the pmt symptoms too? Or at least, maybe if the bleeding has stoped..then you may not expect the ptm as much which may help it come around in a less harsh sort of way? maybe?
Old 31st March 2007, 01:44

Mood
Cool

Pft, you women don't have it as bad as us men. We have to be on the recieving end of it.
Old 31st March 2007, 02:09

Quote:
Originally Posted by julian1234
heloo.

I have since been on the depo injection (every 3 months) and for me and most women (i think) it stops their period all together. I'm not very sure but maybe if the injection can stop the bleeding, it could stop some of the pmt symptoms too? Or at least, maybe if the bleeding has stoped..then you may not expect the ptm as much which may help it come around in a less harsh sort of way? maybe?
That would be fantastic, no periods at all! Think of all the thousands of pounds saved not having to buy all the "feminine hygene" products over 40 or so years. (thats another thing that pisses me off )
Old 6th April 2007, 12:02

But don't the pill, injection etc. badly alter your general mood? I've tried a few types of 'the pill' and they just made me depressed and lathargic, hardly worth the trade off in my opinion.
Old 7th April 2007, 00:19

-I recall reading some info on a diet of dairy products helping some women alleviate PMT - google it and see what you get. Good luck. Oh, and yes, in regards to hormonal issues, men do have it easy, but take a look at the social and emotional kicking we get....
Old 7th April 2007, 09:16

Quote:
Originally Posted by silvernlilac
God I really ****ing hate periods . Sometimes I feel like murdering the person who invented the human body (er if they actually existed lol). They make me extremely angry and moody. I have massive temper tantrums. Generally scream and shout a lot (slam doors etc, well not in public lol but I do get frusturated sometimes, last time I was at Coventry station and I was 'on' I started cursing/swearing to myself and felt like screaming, like some mad nutter )

I also hate that dirty feeling you get. I hate not feeling clean. Urgh periods are just the work of the devil I tell ya

I have seriously considered going on pill but dont know whether its worth it
Don't worry I am not laughing at you, but I felt exactly like this recently. One second I wanted to burst out crying the next I wanted to punch a hole through the wall for no reason. It's getting worse the older I get. I used to think pms was hilarious because [I thought] I was immune - I can't believe how much control hormones can exert over our emotions.

You could try the pill - I didn't know this before but there are several versions so if one sucks, another might work. Plus theres like a zillion other ways to combat all the various issues: the physical pain, the pms etc. I'm hoping to go on a certain medication to reduce the severity in general, its the only thing in my life that makes me go ARRRRRRRRGH! and makes me feel like a victim of my own gender
Old 7th April 2007, 11:33

i get really bad ones my doctor suggested the pill when i was 14 because none of the tablets i tried seem to work, the pill hasnt change them either its just now they are regular at one point when i was 13/14 i was having them every 2 weeks instead of every month. iv also had only a few times though were i felt faint. the first time i woke up from the pain and i went to get up to go to the bathroom but when i stood up my eyes started to black out and i felt sick, i couldnt hardly walk because i just wanted to be sick when i did lol so i had to try an make a cup of tea on my knees lol because i thought the sugar would help the faintness. the other two times iv had it hasnt been that bad although one time it happened on a bus stop an ihad to sit on the floor lol infront of people because i really couldnt see everything was fuzzy an i was getting hotter an hotter. i dont know what causes it though i asked my doctor an she said its not from low sugar levels so i dont know.
i do get moody when im on and depressed also but then if im cosy and not in pain and has some chocolate by me il be ok lol.
Old 7th April 2007, 13:10

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuGaR!*
the other two times iv had it hasnt been that bad although one time it happened on a bus stop an ihad to sit on the floor lol infront of people because i really couldnt see everything was fuzzy an i was getting hotter an hotter. i dont know what causes it though i asked my doctor an she said its not from low sugar levels so i dont know.
your experience at the bus stop sounds horrible, i try to avoid going out on the first day so that things like that don't happen to me! does the faintness happen when you are in pain? i think that's common with any kind of strong pain, not just period pain. i'm not sure though if it happens when the pain isnt too bad. for me, i sometimes feel very weak the first day or so, kind of shaky even if the pain is mild, which may be similar to your faintness.
Old 7th April 2007, 19:00

im not sure it is from the pain i know what you mean by that though but its like you have to sit down until it passes because it makes you feel sick. it didnt last long though well i got on the bus an just took deep breathes an i was ok after 10 minutes. it is weird an yeah it like weakness i dont know lol does sound similar though.
Old 9th April 2007, 21:46
Co-Administrator

Mood
Dreaming

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vi
Another thing, feeling tearful/sad/stressed doesn't go away when my period starts. It lasts for the first two days of my period as well. Does this happen to anyone else?
Yeah, I have a very bizarre period, which starts off very, very light and gets very very heavy (usually lasts nearly a month too). I've just started my light bit and my paranoia and OCD are very bad at the moment, it's not easy to see past them, last night I was up just feeling so awful with the obsessive thoughts. I know it's connected to the hormones as I never get it this badly when I'm "off".

Being a woman sure does suck!
Old 10th April 2007, 00:33

Mood
Crappy

I have no problems with periods. I do blame bad moods on PMT but it's just an excuse for being a bit crazy and grumpy for me.
Old 10th April 2007, 20:24

Quote:
Originally Posted by silvernlilac
Thank the ****ing lord it only lasts 3 or 4 days.
...oh wait, hang on, only 4 days? My word, dare I say it, you're lucky it isn't longer (as I'm sure it is for a lot of women).

*Gives silvernlilac a punchbag and boxing gloves* Go wild!
Old 11th April 2007, 01:05

Mood
Cool

I'm guessing my attempt at humour hasn't gone down too well.
Old 11th April 2007, 01:09

Yeah its that time for me too silvernlilac and although I've never felt degraded I have felt pretty much all the other things you mention and yes! I cannot wait to get to the menopause. I will feel truly free at last
Old 11th April 2007, 08:55

Yeah, I can't stop crying a few days before, the slightest thing will set me off. And I do feel suicidal too sometimes. My CPN thought I had a hormonal imbalance so she suggested I go on the pill, and things have been MUCH better since then. I don't ever want to come off it.
Old 11th April 2007, 15:28
Ruby1

Sorry ladies but i have to say i'm soooo glad it's not just me i know i must be due on anyday now for i am a holy catastrophe a complete loon a living breathing horror a mad axe wielding hormonal frankenstein of a person. Everything changes the week before my period i'm convinced i'm unlovable, i wanna move house everyone hates me round ere, i cry in camping shops in front of all and sundary, i hate what i look like more than ever yuk!! Big nose freak! I become so evil i could watch the whole of the film 'Beaches' and not shed a single tear not even during wind beneath my wings i am as screwy as a baboons botty.
Old 12th April 2007, 14:36
muppet

Thanks for all your replies! Very interesting....am now cosidering my options. not been on pill for about 10-15 years so worth considering???????????????

Thank you all....if I find a magic cure youll all be the first to know!

x
Old 12th April 2007, 14:40

Wow, I never knew things were so different for you women.
Closed Thread