Join! Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Notices

Closed Thread  Post New Thread

Old 1st November 2008, 23:01

Default Re: games anyone is playing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pal
Is the world as large as Oblivion?
I haven't explored it all, but judging by the map, not quite. It's still absolutely huge/dense in terms of locations, and like Oblivion, there's that wonderful sense of discovery coming across random strangers, towns or hidden locations. I think the third-person camera work well when you have a weapon drawn - you can control the distance of the camera by holding the left bumper down so I've been occasionally using a close over-the-shoulder viewpoint similar to Resident Evil 4. In fact, the combat absolutely slaughters Oblivion's. It's not as smooth or as instant as a Call of Duty 4 or Halo, but for an RPG it's more than serviceable. If you compare it to Mass Effect, another pseudo-action RPG with a similar mix between role playing and shooting, the blend just generally works a lot better in Fallout 3. Switching between the VATS system and real-time shooting is really enjoyable and offers quite a bit of strategy with the weapons available.

And the quests? Well, I haven't really touched the main storyline but the side ones seem to more developed than Oblivion's. There's better characterisation and they feel like self-contained missions with several stages to them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sayito
Great review . I got it today and have only scratched the surface so far. It certainly looks pretty epic.

The PS3 version has a few little bugs and graphics / sound glitches which are a bit annoying. Hopefully they'll put an update out soon. Also I learnt the hard way that it's best to set up a few save points. I accidentally got a major character killed and then it autosaved meaning I couldn't go back and change my decision.
Have you tried signing out of PSN? I've read there's supposed to be problems if you play the game online.

I'm playing the 360 version and my major criticisms of the game have been remedied. The draw distance and pop-in compared to Oblivion have been much improved, there's no stuttering every 50m on the world map and the loading in between towns and rooms has been reduced too. Same with the saving and menu access - far less sluggish. Even the characters look better - sure, most of them aren't going to be winning character model of the year award, but there aren't any unintentional freakshows this time around.

As for the gameplay - well the levelling system isn't relative so you feel like you're progressing somewhere the more you gain experience and there's more tension in the environment when you're out and about. I also like the interiors. I've stumbled on a number of side-mission and that usual Bethesda thing (where they end up giving a history to a random location with notes/people/experiements that aren't related to anything) is still very much evident. Where Fallout 3 succeeds in comparison to Oblivion is that it's genre hopping. I don't want to spoil the experience for anyone else with spoilers, but let's just say there are certain moments that are almost Manhunt/Resident Evil-esque in tone, whereas there are others that are like Gears of War (when you meet the Brotherhood of Steel for the first time) or even Stranger's Wrath. The game is continually switching between RPG, adventure, horror, urban action and explorative Western. It's fantastic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by muteme
I remember you being quite taken with Oblivion back on its release, so that's really some praise.

Played a couple of chapters of Dead Space today and I can't fault it. It's ticking all the survival horror boxes for me. I love the lack of a HUD, it's great running out of ammo and absolutely not expecting it. The whole dismembering enemies thing, too, works great. Getting the alien equivalent of a headshot is like cracking them in a tendon in their flapping arms, it makes for lots of lovely spraying-bullets-in-panic moments.

What a great time to be a gamer.
Yeah, I was taken with Oblivion but it was more a love/hate thing. There were moments when it was brilliant and you felt as though you were lost in an unknown land and you were completely immersed. But then there were other times when quests were broken, the AI didn't work, the engine kept crashing, the stuttering and the cache problems destroyed the momentum and dozens of little bugs kept taking you out of the experience. A lot of that, from my experience of it at least, has been taken out of Fallout 3. It also helps that the atmosphere and world are a lot less generic and more interesting, the combat has been improved and that the characters feel as though they have backstories. I think you'd probably like it.

As for Dead Space. I have it here but again it'll be one of those I leave until December. I can't wait though. It seems like my kind of game and I've heard nothing but good things (an Event Horizon/Alien Resident Evil 4 with nifty HUD handling seems as though it'll be a winner). With Mirror's Edge, Gears of War 2, Prince of Persia just around the corner, you're right. We're absolutely innundated with great game after great game at the moment.
Old 2nd November 2008, 19:01
Banned (at own request)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Concept

Put it like this, I've barely been able to concentrate these last few months. .
The same reason I haven't been playing many games as of late.

Quote:
We're absolutely innundated with great game after great game at the moment.
I've put about three hours into Dead Space and am looking forward to playing Fallout 3. I ain't gonna bother with Fable 2 yet, and not interested in Far Cry 2; having never played the original.
Old 2nd November 2008, 21:48

FFtactics, beaut of a game.
Old 2nd November 2008, 21:51

Mood
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Haze
I've put about three hours into Dead Space and am looking forward to playing Fallout 3. I ain't gonna bother with Fable 2 yet, and not interested in Far Cry 2; having never played the original.
I've not played it myself yet but you might want to look into Far Cry 2 even if you haven't played the origonal, i'm told it's nothing short of spectacular.
Old 3rd November 2008, 10:26

Mood
Stressed

Well I just quit stupid Warriors Orochi 2 (eventhoughIloveitshhh) to play Fallout 3.

Which, by the way, is only £29 in Sainsbury's for the next week :O
Old 3rd November 2008, 10:50

Mood
Amused

What ruined Oblivion for me was simply that it wasn't as good as Morrowind. Sure the graphics were prettier but the world was just a generic ye olde Europe fantasy world with no immersion, most of the quests felt like nothing more than following the green arrow, there was the ridiculous level up system that let you be champion of the arena at level 1 yet getting the crap beaten out of you by dogs by level 15 if you didn't game the system, they seemed to forget the main fun of playing RPG games was to feel like you were developing, engaging in self-improvement yet the world was 90% at your feet at level 1.

And I hate to sound like one of those awful RPG nerds but it was dumbed down as well. And then there was the levelling of items! Like that shield you got from the town in the north west, that was the best item in the game but if you got it early on it remained shit for the rest of the game. That was the most ******** game design decision I've seen since I bought the remake of Colonization. And don't even get me started on "hey it's you, the hero of Kvatch!" shut the hell up!

I still haven't finished that island of madness add-on, must get back to it sometime, I've started so I'll finish.
Old 3rd November 2008, 11:04

Mood
Stressed

Quote:
Originally Posted by muteme
Are you going after the achievements in Warriors Orochi 2, Chosokabe? I can see many hours of proficiency grinding ahead of me. :embarass: I want my Orochi X, dammit!
Yes. Yes I am

It's going to take ages, I HATE Xu Chu... ughghghghgh I'm trying to level him up with growth points so I don't have to work so hard

My problem is that I obsess over a few characters and get bored of everyone else. Pang De, Wukong, Zhang Liao, Cao Cao, Kunoichi and Ieyasu are all maxed out ... and I don't want to play as anyone else 'cause I love my few obsessions so, so much <3 I could play Yewee I suppose...

Those stupid dream modes are getting up my nose though...arrgghhh why won't they unlock X_X
Old 3rd November 2008, 15:06

Mood
Dreaming

About 6 hours into Fallout 3 so far. Feels much like Oblivion, but must admit there are elements I miss from that (ie. magic, guilds (unless there are later?), different species, sword fighting, colour, the levelling system). Noticed one mistake so far (someone called me 'Mister' even though I'm playing as a girl). Seems good though, just got to get my mind to realise that 'this isn't Oblivion' and to stop comparing it! But very good, need to get back to playing it! And the loading times are SO much better than Oblivion!!
Old 3rd November 2008, 16:53

Mood
Crappy

Completed Fable 2 last night. Well, I completed the main quest, apparently there's lots to do after that but I want to start a new game and be completely evil. I'm fed up of being goody-two-shoes.

But anyway, I really enjoyed it. The main quest was a bit meh, but the whole world is an enjoyable and charming place in which to immerse yourself.
Old 3rd November 2008, 18:30

Quote:
Originally Posted by mostly_harmless
What ruined Oblivion for me was simply that it wasn't as good as Morrowind. Sure the graphics were prettier but the world was just a generic ye olde Europe fantasy world with no immersion, most of the quests felt like nothing more than following the green arrow, there was the ridiculous level up system that let you be champion of the arena at level 1 yet getting the crap beaten out of you by dogs by level 15 if you didn't game the system, they seemed to forget the main fun of playing RPG games was to feel like you were developing, engaging in self-improvement yet the world was 90% at your feet at level 1.
In retrospect I can agree most of that with that. Shivering Isles pretty much highlighted how generic vanilla Oblivion was by offering a far more interesting landscape and set of characters to explore. Fallout 3 is still very accessible but more importantly it improves on nearly every one of Oblivion's weak areas. Combat is significantly more engaging and tense, the lock-picking is more intuitively handled, boxes are labelled empty so you're not forever pressing A on every container, the dialogue mini-game has been reduced to a chance percentage based on your speech skill, the perk-based system allows for more customisation and flexibility, the levelling is no longer relative and follows a progression-based system (meaning that you'll get your arse handed to you in certain areas if you're not yet ready), the pip-boy is a huge advancement compared to Oblivion's confused and sluggish menu system, the atmosphere and world design is about a billion times more captivating, the VATS system adds a greater degree of strategy, the enemy AI is improved (or more accurately, better suited to gun combat), the game is less punishing when you steal or break into things, the karma system is more subtle, as Amber said loading is faster and the engine is very stable, quests are less abundant and aimless but more meaty and fleshed out, there are more than five voice actors this time around, you can actually get partners/dogs out in the field, the interior environments are (overall) more varied, the loot selling is better and most importantly as a single experience it just hangs together a lot more cohesively. It's also exceptionally pretty.

When you get to Washington city you'll be blown away as to how gorgeous everything looks. The texture work and design of the environments are both incredible.

I don't know if you're after a number cruncher or not with micro-management but all I'll say is you should definitely give the game a chance. The gameplay systems may be relatively accessible but that doesn't mean they're bad - I entered into the game in a fairly jaded state and it's far exceeded my expectations. I can't stop playing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by amberfirez
About 6 hours into Fallout 3 so far. Feels much like Oblivion, but must admit there are elements I miss from that (ie. magic, guilds (unless there are later?), different species, sword fighting, colour, the levelling system). Noticed one mistake so far (someone called me 'Mister' even though I'm playing as a girl). Seems good though, just got to get my mind to realise that 'this isn't Oblivion' and to stop comparing it! But very good, need to get back to playing it! And the loading times are SO much better than Oblivion!!

I can see where you're coming from but the fact that Fallout 3 is slightly (and I do mean slightly) streamlined is actually a bit of a blessing. It leads to a more compacted, focused game world. The attention to detail in the nooks and crannies or the off-the-track beat is still just as rich as it was in Oblivion, perhaps even more so. Just wait until you get into downtown D.C. The place is huge - I must have spent around an extra 12 hours in that single location just exploring everywhere and gaining new quest lines. And that's what I love about Bethesda's approach to RPGs - they really do capture that adventurer spirit. About the only problem I have with the game is some AI pathfinding making the odd enemy get stuck in a wall, some average voice acting in places and the encumberment issue where I'm constantly having to eject things I want to sell from my inventory so I can move.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WelshKat
Completed Fable 2 last night. Well, I completed the main quest, apparently there's lots to do after that but I want to start a new game and be completely evil. I'm fed up of being goody-two-shoes.

But anyway, I really enjoyed it. The main quest was a bit meh, but the whole world is an enjoyable and charming place in which to immerse yourself.
Oh, I'll definitely be coming back to Fable 2. But seriously, get Fallout 3. It demands your attention. ; )
Old 3rd November 2008, 20:28

Mood
Dreaming

Quote:
I mean being able to play as different species really. I liked the lions and lizard people from Oblivion!
Don't really like guns in the game, prefer melee combat really. But obviously they had to change the fighting style from Oblivion due to the time and place. I'm sure I'll get used to it!

I also can't wait to play Fable 2, but didn't see any point in buying it yet as don't want to play it at the same time as Fallout 3. Hopefully I made the right choice in buying Fallout 3 first!
Old 6th November 2008, 19:38
Banned (at own request)

Fifa 09. Anyone else playing this?
Old 6th November 2008, 19:41

Mood
Curious

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Haze
Fifa 09. Anyone else playing this?
ive been staying up at work since I bought it so havent had a chance and as Im moving this weekend I wont be able to play it till sunday aaaaargh
Old 6th November 2008, 21:20

Mood
Cool

Just finished Clear Sky and now finishing off SOC.
Old 6th November 2008, 22:03

Mood
Blah

Red Alert 3. Game is fun, although its just a rehash of whats come before it. Which is fine for me but i think some people expected more. Great cutscenes though. Tim Curry is awesome and hamming it up big time Gemma Atkinson is nice to watch too!
Old 6th November 2008, 22:48
Banned (at own request)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reddix3
ive been staying up at work since I bought it so havent had a chance and as Im moving this weekend I wont be able to play it till sunday aaaaargh

Cool, you have a PS3 don't you? If you're ever up for a game, just give me a shout.
Old 7th November 2008, 09:11

Mood
Daring

Football Manager 2009 demo

I like the 3D match engine, it makes it much better (if thats possible ) I've been playing as Man City and had Elano score 6 30 yard goals in the first 5 games. Its much better to watch them go in in 3D.
Old 7th November 2008, 17:59

Mood
Dreaming

Okay, now I've got used to Fallout 3 a little bit (and am not comparing it to Oblivion so much anymore): I LOVE IT!!! hehe. Addicted at the moment.
It's annoying though.. so many others games I want to play at the moment (ie. Fable, Dead Space, etc) but think Fallout 3 will occupy my time for a while now!
Old 7th November 2008, 18:28

Mood
Cool

Finished both STALKER games, both excellent games, not without their flaws though but still well recommended!!
Old 7th November 2008, 21:57

Mood
Paranoid

Fable II is awesome im also playing Eternal Sonata, Lost Odyssey and Oblivion.
YAY games
Old 9th November 2008, 01:52

Mood
Cool

Playing Crysis Warhead ATM
Old 9th November 2008, 18:08

Mood
Amused

I'm playing some love games

Old 9th November 2008, 21:40

Mood
Stressed

^ haha love Old Gregg

I'm playing Warriors Orochi 2 still.... stupidly trying to get proficiency up *CRY*
Old 10th November 2008, 10:31

Bioshock on the xbox360. I bought this game ages ago, cheap off ebay but never got into it. I've been playing it all weekend and love it. The most original and immersive game I've played on the xbox. The story and tone is genuinely creepy. The number of times I've felt myself on edge as I walk around and hear splicers talking, not knowing where they are going to come from.

One actually made me physically jump, I was picking something up off a desk then turned around and a splicer dressed as a surgeon was standing directly behind me. The graphics, sound and story are all fantastic. The dialogue and voice acting is top notch too, the way the little sisters talk to the big daddies feels quite sad, I did actually feel emotional later in the game too which I can't remember feeling that way about a game before. I haven't been able to completely follow what the story is all about but what I have understood has been intriguing so far.
Old 10th November 2008, 13:10

Mood
Mellow

I've completed the Fallout 3 main quest, wow... what a game is all I can say, really well scripted, interesting characters and voice overs and top notch graphics on the PC (Playing in 1680x1050 resolution). I love the Rocket-It launcher weapon you can make, firing out tin cans and bottles at enemies! It's a great laugh!

I have to say, I did find it a bit easy and was expecting more of a challenge, it just felt like I was over powered with all the weapons and ammo I collected.

Maybe I should try playing an evil character with the unarmed skill.

Edit - Maybe someone or myself can start a Fallout 3 social group to discuss tactics, skills, weapons, quests and locations?
Old 10th November 2008, 14:00

Cheers. :D

I was wondering what the ammo for that weapon was.

I still haven't finished the game 77 hours in. It really is the most immersive, time-sucking game released in ages - there are so many times where you'll be heading to a quest and you say to yourself: I know I'll go check out that new location I've just discovered on the way there.

And then eight hours later you find you've encountered a new settlement, travelled through a derelict city, plundered an underground sewer, bought a robotic AI partner, double crossed someone who'd hired you as a mercenary, found schematics for a couple of new weapons to make, fallen on the wrong side of a faction and fought your way through the building you weren't supposed to be in, slipped through three way battles between mutants, raiders and the brotherhood of steel, kitted out your premises with all sorts of cool stuff, stumbled on a secret shop with a shit load of good chems and armour before discovering a random wasteland trader who you get to repair your weapons and take out to recover your money...

Then you ask yourself, where was I originally going again?

Even more so than Oblivion, the attention to detail is absolutely crazy. There are so many places which have a story to tell - whether that's through the environment, secret characters or the damaged terminals... the world is ridiculously complete. I don't think I've played another RPG that offers the same sense of exploration. It's a lonely game, for sure. But it's also one which gives you this great sense of going down the rabbit hole, when one discovered location leads into the next together with the random encounters (be it enemies or friendlies) which pepper the journey.
Old 10th November 2008, 15:56

Mood
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackSwan
One actually made me physically jump, I was picking something up off a desk then turned around and a splicer dressed as a surgeon was standing directly behind me. The graphics, sound and story are all fantastic. The dialogue and voice acting is top notch too, the way the little sisters talk to the big daddies feels quite sad, I did actually feel emotional later in the game too which I can't remember feeling that way about a game before. I haven't been able to completely follow what the story is all about but what I have understood has been intriguing so far.
I remember that bit, that made me jump too.

I haven't been so into a game when Bioshock since Half Life 2.
Old 10th November 2008, 17:30

Mood
Doh

currently been playing Red Alert 3. Completed all the Soviet campaigns, half way through the Alliance ones now. Also got Fallout 3 installed but havent got round to playing it yet.
Old 10th November 2008, 23:46

Well finally decided to buy FIFA 09 today. I was unsure whether to get this game or PES 09, Ive always got Pro Evolution Soccer ahead of FIFA. Never really been a big fan of FIFA in the past but all that has changed today, what a superb game. The gameplay has let FIFA down in the past, PES has always been much better but this game in terms of gameplay is the best yet. I havent played PES but I think it would have to be a special game to beat this. I would give FIFA 09 at least 9/10.
Old 10th November 2008, 23:49

Been playing Age Of Empires II: Age of Kings (with the conquerors expansion) Very addictive
Closed Thread