SAUK Discussion Board

Go Back   SAUK Discussion Board > General Discussion > The Lounge
Join! Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Notices

Reply  Post New Thread

Old 18th March 2024, 00:19

Default Do you prefer sleeping in complete silence or sleeping listening to something?

I find it difficult to fall asleep unless there's low volume human voices speaking in the background, whether radio/podcasts/TV series, etc.. I always set the timer to turn itself off within usually 60 minutes.

What about you?
Old 18th March 2024, 00:56

Default Re: Do you prefer sleeping in complete silence or sleeping listening to something?

I used to be exactly the same, I had to have something playing on timer. I can't pinpoint exactly when it happened, but the voices became a distraction and now I need silence to sleep (although if I happen to be staying somewhere with background noise, like a busy road, that isn't an issue either).
Old 18th March 2024, 01:58

Default Re: Do you prefer sleeping in complete silence or sleeping listening to something?

I'm not sure if I need silence, but I prefer it. I don't really use things for background noise, I'm either paying attention to it or I want it shut off.

I guess I'm wary of needing constant stimulation, from the moment I get up to falling asleep. It's good to have at least a little pocket of nothing at some point in the day.
Old 18th March 2024, 02:38

I can’t sleep in silence. I used to very much need familiar sounds (I’d typically replay the same film or tv show on repeat every night). I’m still similar in that I prefer the familiar. I guess it creates a feeling of safety. Even if I have the most horrific migraine, I often still can’t be completely still with no sound. No lights, 100% but there’s something really painful about silence. I think it’s also partly fear of becoming much more hyper aware of inner thoughts where as sound disrupts that thinking pattern with something else to be momentarily distracted with. .
Old 18th March 2024, 10:51

I live in London
what is this "silence" you speak of?
Old 18th March 2024, 11:50

I also live in London. I can sleep to certain music if it’s really quiet. I think it actually helps me sleep better but don’t usually do it. Rain is calming as well. I can sleep to silence I think as well but it’s not usually silent.
Old 18th March 2024, 11:53

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackflies
I can’t sleep in silence. I used to very much need familiar sounds (I’d typically replay the same film or tv show on repeat every night). I’m still similar in that I prefer the familiar. I guess it creates a feeling of safety. Even if I have the most horrific migraine, I often still can’t be completely still with no sound. No lights, 100% but there’s something really painful about silence. I think it’s also partly fear of becoming much more hyper aware of inner thoughts where as sound disrupts that thinking pattern with something else to be momentarily distracted with. .
Reading this maybe feelings are the core to how easy it is to sleep for me? I remember at a previous job there was a colleague who seemed to get on really well with me and I liked her though she was older than me. One day I shared the message and she was really nice. I remember that night it was really easy to sleep because I was in a calmer state than usual.

I remember a job during covid I think parts of the environment were toxic for me and I found it hard to sleep because of anger or frustration.
Old 18th March 2024, 18:56

Silence and darkness.
Old 18th March 2024, 20:43

It's hard to put these things into words.

Most of the time I'm like this:

And the rest of the time I'm like that:

Although very rarely I'm also like this:

But that might not be sleep related!
Old 18th March 2024, 20:54

Complete silence for me, or as near to it as I can get having tinnitus. My mum, on the other hand, needs her radio on low to be able to sleep and she has it on all night.
Old 18th March 2024, 21:44

My ear drum perforated the last time I listened to hypnotherapy in bed with headphones on so I can't ever really listen to anything in bed because it makes me think of that!

(It wasn't on loudly, I just happened to develop an ear infection at the time - without knowing and it all happened after I took the headphones off).
Old 18th March 2024, 22:45

If I listen to something it would be from speakers rather than headphones. With bluetooth headphones I'm too conscious of the battery and over heating batteries while sleeping.
Old 19th March 2024, 08:10

I cannot sleep in complete silence, to the point where if my audio book finishes, I usually wake up and have to put another one on.
Old 19th March 2024, 12:58

Yes. I listen to rain sounds. I cant bear silence it drives me crazy. All my body sensations seems to be hightenened and I start to panic. I also like QVC on the tv ...it has a kind of hypnotic effect on me. Weird that I dont get that with other programmes!
Old 19th March 2024, 14:01

Mood
Tired

silence and darkness are kind of necessary for me to nod off.
even a little ticking clock can be enough to keep me awake,
my family used to complain that they'd find an alarm clock stuffed inside a jumper drawer or something and be like "wtf dude?" lol
Old 19th March 2024, 15:08

silence, though I had a time following covid where I had insomnia and found gentle music helped, I used to listen to alexrainbird music, which has playlists of folk/relaxing music.
Old 19th March 2024, 16:42

When I visit my parents they have these noisy mechanical clocks in the spare bedroom, ticking and whirring away and I have to move them
Horrible things
Old 19th March 2024, 16:54

Mood
Cynical

^ Oh I can't have a ticking clock in the room if I'm trying to sleep!
Old 19th March 2024, 17:20

^^ Nor me!
Old 19th March 2024, 19:39

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackflies
I'll quite often put on a youtube playlist and let it autoplay (quietly), usually the same one. It has a nice lulling effect, especially when insomnia has kicked in. I do sleep with a fan on, even in winter and even with a migraine. The cold air on my face is a nice bonus (hate being too hot) but just the whirring noise alone I love, I can't sleep without it. (I mean I can pass out with exhaustion for 2 or 3 hours a night but I can't sleep anywhere near `normally` or healthily without it).
Old 19th March 2024, 20:23

Quote:
Originally Posted by anxiouslondoner
When I visit my parents they have these noisy mechanical clocks in the spare bedroom, ticking and whirring away and I have to move them
Horrible things
My sister has these. I take the batteries out .

I bought her a new silent clock get them those for Easter, Christmas, for sneezing…
Old 19th March 2024, 20:23
Banned

Complete silence for me. Hence why me and my fella sleep in different rooms. Even the sound of him breathing I find so irritating. I can't sleep with a ticking clock either.

I actually love silence. Even when it's day time.
Old 19th March 2024, 21:27

Quote:
Originally Posted by magnolia
I actually love silence. Even when it's day time.
Same here. The world is too much of a noisy place.
Old 20th March 2024, 09:18

I didn't mention sleeping listening to the "same videos" in the original post not to sound too strange. i didn't know other people do that.
I do listen to new/different things, but i always go back to the same videos. I listened too many times to the point where I actually know what the actors/speaker are going to say word by word.

I also adore long interviews with old soft-spoken celebrities/writers, etc.. when they talk about their life/telling stories from when they were younger and how life was different back then, etc..
Old 20th March 2024, 12:45

Mood
Tired

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee S
Same here. The world is too much of a noisy place.
yeah, if you are on the spectrum (which I suspect I am) then I think noise etc. can just be way too much stimulation,
if I'm in a noisy busy situation it can be almost overwhelming for the senses.
Old 20th March 2024, 16:22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Nobody
yeah, if you are on the spectrum (which I suspect I am)
Same here. Never had an official diagnosis but I'm pretty convinced I'm on the spectrum.
Old 20th March 2024, 18:45

On mindspace they have these bedtime stories. They are so relaxing. I got into them last year but stopped for a while. I used to love 'rainday antiques'.The sound of rain and a soothing voice.
Old 23rd March 2024, 02:40

I fall asleep to a screen reader reading my SAUK posts in the voice of Snape. Still haven't got past 2016.
Old 27th March 2024, 21:56

Complete silence.
But since that is impossible (where I live, due to traffic and those random creaks from boilers and house settling and suchlike) then I have grown used to sleeping with a white noise machine on pretty loud to drown out all those random sounds that used to wake me right up. Now I find it hard to sleep without the white noise machine even on the rare occasions that I find myself in a silent room