Go Back   SAUK Discussion Board > Social Anxiety Discussions > Room with a View
Join! Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Notices

Reply  Post New Thread

Old 3rd November 2014, 16:19

Default Re: The Exercise Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry F
@TTSP I'm still fairly uneasy sometimes when I'm at the gym. Luckily I've gained a lot of self-confidence over the years simply because I'm much happier with my body shape than I used to be.
But even today I still have trouble with people whom I think are staring at me. I'm always going to be immensely self-conscious. I just blank it out and get on with my programme.
I hope you don't mind me posting my workouts in here. Perhaps others can try them out?
Yeah, low self-esteem is very common with people who have SA. I've been trying to improve my self-image as another way to overcome my SA and that's why I went to the gym, not too much, maybe 1-3 times a week. But I've moved and my SA has conquered my attempt to join the gym in my new area.

I personally think it's a great idea that you're posting your routine, it can help others work out their own, it can motivate others to go to the gym and most importantly it can maintain your own motivation to keep on going!

I can tell you've been going for a while because your routine seems intricate and well-planned. If I work up the courage to join this new gym I'll try and incorporate some of your exercises into my own workout, although my 'workout' was basic at best!
Old 4th November 2014, 00:44

Mood
Fine

Quote:
Originally Posted by TTSP
Yeah, low self-esteem is very common with people who have SA. I've been trying to improve my self-image as another way to overcome my SA and that's why I went to the gym, not too much, maybe 1-3 times a week. But I've moved and my SA has conquered my attempt to join the gym in my new area.

I personally think it's a great idea that you're posting your routine, it can help others work out their own, it can motivate others to go to the gym and most importantly it can maintain your own motivation to keep on going!

I can tell you've been going for a while because your routine seems intricate and well-planned. If I work up the courage to join this new gym I'll try and incorporate some of your exercises into my own workout, although my 'workout' was basic at best!
Hi mate.
Thanks for your interest in my routine. It's nice to know I'm getting it right as well. I've tried various programmes and this one alternates fortnightly with a standard light to heavy session which I do inbetween.

Good luck in your new surroundings and I do hope you can pluck up enough courage to begin at a new gym.

Take care.
Old 4th November 2014, 17:52

Mood
Fine

And back I am again with this week's legs session. As I don't do squats, there is only one legs session per week though I do add a set each of 50 extensions and incline presses into my high reps on a Friday.

Same format as the regular days, 6x10's, ending with a heavier fail set. here's the lowdown....

Tuesday 4/11/14. Legs+Abs:

1. Incline leg press:
5x10x150kg
1x15x180kg - fail
* I didn't really want to begin with this piece of hit but the extension machine was busy with a young tart faffing about on her phone :facepalm:
Feet almost together in middle of plate but on the fail set I positioned them higher to work the glutes but stayed fairly light as it's early doors in the session. Adding 20kg next time.

2. Leg extensions, stack machine:
5x10x70kg
1x10x100kg (full stack) - fail
* Love these. Quads full of girders. Adding 5kg next time.

3. Reverse leg curl, stack machine:
5x10x50kg
1x12x60kg - fail
* Hands under the hams as I lift to test them working okay; pumping up nicely. Add another 5kg next visit.

4. Horizontal, seated leg press:
5x10x150kg
1x15x170kg - fail
* Strangely, this was more difficult than it usually is. :think:I normally end up with the full 200kg stack, today that would have been impossible. I will certainly be aiming for the max next week on the heavy sets. Just add 10kg next time.

5. Calf press (using leg press):
3x10x120kg
* That was it. The balls of my feet near the arch were aching like hell doing these and I quit at three sets and no failure set. Again, it's peculiar. I'll be doing a bit of a refresher check on this exercise next week and probably see if the standing calf raises work in a more 'comfortable' fashion.

6. Ab crunches:
5x10x40kg
1x10x50kg

Time taken 55 mins. approx.
A pretty good workout, though the calves need looking at next time.
Please bear in mind that next week is the alternative session - regular sets and reps going light to heavy, so the weights I am adding above will be for the 6x10's in two weeks' time.
Tomorrow is a scheduled rest day with Shoulders+Delts for Thursday.

Thanks for reading chaps, your comments are most valuable
Old 4th November 2014, 17:57

Bromptoning to the old railway station and back? Does that count?
Old 5th November 2014, 16:01

Mood
Fine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikei
Bromptoning?
Old 5th November 2014, 18:54

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry F
Bromptoning?

It's a small wheeled folding bicycle.
Old 5th November 2014, 18:54

Quote:
Don't forget the Cycling Challenge thread
Old 5th November 2014, 19:02

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Troy
Don't forget the Cycling Challenge thread
Whoops, just looked at the Cycling Challenge, doh!
Old 5th November 2014, 20:10

Mood
Fine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Troy
It's a small wheeled folding bicycle.
Ah thanks. Yes it counts as exercise. Sounds interesting
Old 6th November 2014, 08:42

Mood
Bashful

About to cycle to train station for uni
Old 6th November 2014, 21:41

Mood
Fine

Hi.
I thoroughly detest doing shoulders of any description. Light, heavy, high reps, you name it. At one time, when I was bodybuilding aeons ago in the 90's I had shoulders and delts like steamhammers but since my arthritis in the left one it's a chore, and no matter how hard I train, they are spindly and weak as pigshit
However I will always persevere. My chest has increased a lot in the past couple of years and my arms are always in good nick, so I shall have to rely on those areas to fall back on when lifting for the shoulders:lift:

Thursday 6/11/14. Shoulders+Delts:

1. BB rows, oly bar, standard grip (to chin):
5x10x40kg
* This was too heavy for me. It was the bar plus 10 each side. To train effectively I'll drop 10kg to bar+10 next session. Pointless attempting a fail set today.

2. Smith OHP, full incline on bench:
5x10x30kg
1x11x40kg - fail
* Not so bad with these. Add 5kg next time.

3. Incline chest press, low seat:
5x10x40kg
1x13x50kg - fail
* With the seat very low, this was like a cross between a chest press and a shoulder press. Good for the delts. Add 5kg next time.

4. DB press, slight incline (hands facing):
2x10x20kg
1x10x18kg
* A most hateful exercise for me despite being one of the staple textbook bodybuilding and strength training exercises there is. I just find it so fvcking difficult to lift DBs straight up:wall::wall::wall: The single DB raises are great, I regularly lift the 50kg on chest days, but this for some reason plays havoc with my shoulder. However mediocre it looks, I will have to basically start from scratch with a very low weight next time and progress if possible from then on.:giveup:

5. Shoulder press, stack machine version:
The ultimate chore for my shoulders but it has to be done. Same weight next time.
5x10x30kg
1x8x35kg - fail

6. Vertical traction pulldown:
5x10x40kg
1x10x50kg
* I like to end with this as it's a good back stretcher more than a method of building anything in particular. No probs with it and I'll add another 10kg to it next time. Forgot that the final set was a fail and could have done more but never mind :oops:

Time taken: 55 mins.

I honestly tried my damnedest today as I've noted and the exercises will remain as they are. Even if the weight doesn't increase much and looks pifflingly small I won't be changing anything. I feel it will be good to use next Thursday's regular light-heavy workout as a testing session. Different manoeuvres, alternative methods and hand positions etc. Anything which may alleviate the niggling pain I get. All brings strength at the end of the day and I'll combat this problem area eventuallyetermined:

Tomorrow is my high reps session, which I do love :stims: A slight change because I will be aiming for a full 50 reps on each exerciseeath:

That concludes my weekly training programme. Thanks always for reading ladies and gents
Old 16th November 2014, 09:54

Mood
Fine

Well all that was a waste of time.
Old 16th November 2014, 11:49

Mood
Tired

I've been doing dips and pull ups lately and trying to get back into squatting, starting with some light weight goblet squats. Knackered my shoulder now though, which is a pity because I really enjoy these body weight exercises much more than lifting weights and they seem to give much more of a pump and are more functional. I'm guessing it is the dips that have caused it, they seem to have a bad reputation in regards to your shoulder joints. I'll try again with fewer reps and attempting better form and see if it helps...don't wanna give up on them just yet seen as I've just got a dipping station.

Doing a couple of runs a week too as well as the odd walk in the lakes for cardio. After doing a mud run earlier this year I realised that it wasn't the obstacles that gave me trouble it was the running. So I'd like to improve on this
Old 16th November 2014, 13:21

Procrastinating so thought I'd come post in here. Mostly climbing-focused. Recently managed to complete a project indoors which took a fair while, so that was a nice sense of achievement (6b on a comp wall - fairly steep overhanging wall, hardest I've ever lead on there). Led a VS 4b in Morocco which was rather sustained and without too much gear (therefore quite big fall potential), including a pretty bold finish. Any other climbers about?

Managed to do 33 pull ups on Thursday and about 20 on Friday before a weights class. Max is one set is now 12.

Need to get more specific in training, focusing on climbing rather than general stuff. I know my CV fitness is down a bit, but am much stronger than I was a few months ago so not all bad.
Old 16th November 2014, 16:30

Mood
Bored

^Leading a 6b - holy feck. That is all.
Old 19th November 2014, 13:57

^ Do you climb much LittleMissMouse?
Old 19th November 2014, 21:00

Mood
Bored

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fantastical
^ Do you climb much LittleMissMouse?
Not enough to even top-rope a 6b nevermind lead one!

I'm not climbing that much at the moment because my regular climbing buddy is very pregnant at the moment, but I think that once the bambino arrives she will be keen to get back to it.

I think 5c is generally about the top end of my limits.
Old 20th November 2014, 11:41

Mood
Fine

Quote:
Originally Posted by zygapophysis
I'm very impressed with your exercise regime Larry F! You must be ripped! Our very own SA-UK Mr Universe!

I'm just trying to get back into a routine of two days on, one day off, of what is basically a relatively intense cardio routine of 30mins with a bit of light free weights thrown in. It's not much, but I live a pretty sedentary lifestyle so it's necessary! I couldn't work out at a gym due to SA and don't have much space at home, so I make the best of what I have. I also try to walk a fair bit each week. Motivation can be hard to come by though!

Haha thanks bud :thumbup:
I'm not exactly ripped anymore (50 now), but still pretty decent form-wise. Better in some parts than others!
The gym isn't everything as long as you keep a good level of fitness. I still feel uneasy every time I go to the gym with the "feeling of eyes watching me", but I focus on the task inhand and try to ignore everybody else.
Old 20th November 2014, 14:21

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleMissMouse
Not enough to even top-rope a 6b nevermind lead one!

I'm not climbing that much at the moment because my regular climbing buddy is very pregnant at the moment, but I think that once the bambino arrives she will be keen to get back to it.

I think 5c is generally about the top end of my limits.
Ah, that's annoying. I lost my regular climbing partner to university last September and it's been very hard trying to find another. Hope you manage to get back into it! Couldn't imagine not climbing now, which seems odd when I only started two and a half years ago. It's definitely forced me into social situations in a way nothing else has managed to do!
Old 28th November 2014, 23:14

Mood
Crappy

I used to weight-train up until 4 months ago.Had a boob job 10 weeks ago and was planning on starting it up again but not keen on bulking up again incase the new titties look smaller!Lol.So,am thinking of taking up jogging/hill-walking as I am surrounded by hills and just walking up them recently are really bringing out the muscle on my legs and my butt feels firmer.Am going to throw in sit-ups,lunges and squats and press ups for my arms though.Defo want definition back.
Old 21st December 2014, 22:06
Banned

Mood
Scared

Ok so i've been working out on and off for close to two years and getting nowhere. (I didn't realize just how much I would have to eat.)I want strength but the gains I desire are more for superficial reasons. To look good, build confidence etc... (and why not) I'm going to make this a priority. I will post up progress reports on here every now and then for motivation and accountability. I'm an ectomorph and a hard gainer so this challenge is big.

Kevin Levrones off season look where he used to shrink right down is what i'm going for or Kit Harrington in Pompei. I don't want to get huge but do want a body transformation.

This will be my body experiment but also a social experiment. Will peoples first impressions of me differ? How will women react differently? Will peoples reactions change at all? It'll be a fascinating experiment to carry out. My biggest area of focus will be my diet. Eat clean, eat healthy but because I want to build muscle....eat ALOT.

Workout plan. Operation Body transformation Bitch to bad ass.

At the gym on Mondays and fridays. It takes alot for me to go to the gym, and its another reason why i'm creating this post.

Monday - Chest / Shoulders / Triceps

Tuesday - Legs/Abs

Wednesday - Back / Arms (bicep)

Thursday - Abs

Friday - Chest / Shoulders / Triceps

Saturday - Rest

Sunday - Abs/ Back / Arm (biceps)

Anyone that wants to join me on this 12 week Journey is more than welcome to. Week 1 begins tomorrow......Lets do this!
Old 21st December 2014, 22:15

^ What number of reps and sets is Master Button doing?
Old 21st December 2014, 22:21
Banned

Mood
Scared

^ I couldn't be arsed writing all that.

I'll post up my monday routine, reps and sets tomorrow and the rest as I go on.
The end of Week 8 I might post up some before and after progress pics (*eew*), plus measurements. Should give me extra motivation to hit the gym hard over the coming weeks.

Super motivated to do this.
Old 22nd December 2014, 07:15

Mood
Devilish

Hey Button,

Interesting split you’re trying… Did you make it up yourself? Working out on and off for two years I’m guessing your body has become accustom to progressive overload, with that in mind you should probably throw in some periodization and maybe even some micro-cycles to get the most hypertrophy which I assume is what you want the most? And being an ectomorph you don’t need to worry too much about fat gains unlike us meso’s!

I’m not at all saying you’re wrong so please don’t think that! But why don’t you try something like this?

Monday: Chest (4 exercises, 4 sets of 8-12) Triceps (3 exercises, 3 sets of 8 – 12) Calves (2 exercises, 3 sets of 25-30 reps)

Tuesday: Back (4 exercises, 4 sets of 8 – 12) Biceps (3 exercises, 3 sets of 8 – 12) Abs (2 exercises, 3 sets of 25-30)

Wednesday: Rest or HIIT if you’re up for it (will help your gains as long as you keep the eating up, and aid recovery)

Thursday: Shoulders (4 exercises, 4 sets of 8 – 12) traps (4 sets, 12-15 reps) calves (2 exercises, 3 sets 25-30reps)

Friday: Legendary leg day! (4 exercises, 3 sets of 12 – 15reps) abs (2 sets 25-30 reps)

Saturday: rest of active recovery

Sunday: rest or active recovery

If you follow this for 3 weeks, then change the reps to 6-8 then another 3 weeks change to 4-6 then after 3 ramp it up to 10 – 12 then the final 3 weeks to 8 – 10 you’ll see a huge difference in size and strength.

What are your macros like/ what you eating?

Tuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by buttonlane
Ok so i've been working out on and off for close to two years and getting nowhere. (I didn't realize just how much I would have to eat.)I want strength but the gains I desire are more for superficial reasons. To look good, build confidence etc... (and why not) I'm going to make this a priority. I will post up progress reports on here every now and then for motivation and accountability. I'm an ectomorph and a hard gainer so this challenge is big.

Kevin Levrones off season look where he used to shrink right down is what i'm going for or Kit Harrington in Pompei. I don't want to get huge but do want a body transformation.

This will be my body experiment but also a social experiment. Will peoples first impressions of me differ? How will women react differently? Will peoples reactions change at all? It'll be a fascinating experiment to carry out. My biggest area of focus will be my diet. Eat clean, eat healthy but because I want to build muscle....eat ALOT.

Workout plan. Operation Body transformation Bitch to bad ass.

At the gym on Mondays and fridays. It takes alot for me to go to the gym, and its another reason why i'm creating this post.

Monday - Chest / Shoulders / Triceps

Tuesday - Legs/Abs

Wednesday - Back / Arms (bicep)

Thursday - Abs

Friday - Chest / Shoulders / Triceps

Saturday - Rest

Sunday - Abs/ Back / Arm (biceps)

Anyone that wants to join me on this 12 week Journey is more than welcome to. Week 1 begins tomorrow......Lets do this!
Old 22nd December 2014, 21:31
Banned

Mood
Scared

Hey Tuck thanks for the feedback..

I'm following Kevin Levrone's workout plan. Not to the letter as i'm mainly looking at upper body gains but this is his routine. For those wanting to lose weight he recommends doing 30 mins of cardio on an empty stomach as part of his routine. Yeah he's a genetic freak but I think this workout suits me in terms of motivation. Going to the gym just twice a week and knocking out chest and shoulders on the same day is better for me because I tend to skip the chest otherwise. I was following a very linear half assed program with light weights before and wasn't taking it seriously. I don't enjoy training so this new program maximises my enjoyment of the process.

Micro-cycles 3:1
Progressive overload

This is an experiment, finding out what works for me. There will probably be alterations to what i'm doing as I go along.

Supplements to maximise muscle growth Bearing in mind i'm on a budget.
Currently taking Garden of Life Vitamin protein formular. I haven't noticed any difference taking this. I was on whey by Optimum nutrician last year and noticed a difference within 2 weeks. I didn't like taking it because of the sweeteners, there not good for you. But i'm going to sacrifice my dislke of sweeteners and purchase some Casein. Consuming at night plus adding it to my daily protein shake too.

-Fish oils

-Vitamin b complex

- BCAA

- The most important part of this whole thing is EATING. Complex carbs - Brown rice, sweet potatoes, veg. Proteins - Chicken, beef, eggs. This will be my daily intake, 5 meals meals a day. I'll also incorparate healthy ready meals so I don't have to cook so much.

This is a 12 week experiment and body transformation, mainly focused on my upper body, getting stronger and bigger. Long term I know I will get bored and in order to keep going post-12 weeks my workouts will be focusing on pure strength and seeing what I can lift and reaching for higher goals and bigger lifts for my motivation. But for 12 weeks at least its purely aesthetics i'm going for.

The first half of my week looks like this.

Monday - Chest/Shoulders/Triceps
Chest
Inverted Pressups 3sets 10 reps rest period 30 seconds inbetween reps
Bench press 4 sets 8-12 reps
Dumbell flys 4 sets 7-10 reps

Shoulders
Dumbbell side raises 4 sets 8-12 reps
Dumbbell Front raise 3 sets 8-10 reps
Military dumbbell press 4 sets 8-10 reps

Triceps
Seated dips 3/4 sets 12 reps
Dumbel kick backs 3 sets 8-12 reps

Tuesday -Lazy Legs/Abs
Burpees 4 by 20 reps
Dumbbell squats 4 by 15 reps
Abs program. (downloaded a progressive 12 week program. Will edit this when I know what i'll be doing.)

Wednesday Back/Arms
Deadlifts 4 by 8

Biceps
Bicep Curls 4 by 8 reps
Alternate Dumbell Curls 3 by 8
Hammer Curls 3 by 8

Thursday Abs/HIIT
Punch bag Beat the SH*T outa that muther ****er Intense 30 second workouts - 5 sets of insanity.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuk
If you follow this for 3 weeks, then change the reps to 6-8 then another 3 weeks change to 4-6 then after 3 ramp it up to 10 ***8211; 12 then the final 3 weeks to 8 ***8211; 10 you***8217;ll see a huge difference in size and strength.
I appreciate the advice. Will change things up after 3 weeks.

Old 23rd December 2014, 16:35

Mood
Devilish

Button,

You***8217;re an ectomorph so I***8217;m assuming you don***8217;t have a very high body fat %... am I right?

As for fasted cardio it can work well but will put you in a pretty catabolic state so say goodbye to some muscle, so if you want to keep as many of your gains as possible maybe try once or twice doing a quick bit of HIIT after a weight session and see how you feel***8230; that***8217;s got the benefit of burning a lot more fat, flushing your muscles of lactic acid and increasing oxygen update so should aid your recovery quite a bit too!

Keep me updated! Would be good to see how you do ***61514;. Oh and have you ever tried MyProtein? Their stuff is really good quality so maybe consider getting some Whey for pre/ post workout.

How much are you thinking about eating? And what***8217;s your weight at the moment?

Tuck
Old 25th December 2014, 00:43
Banned

Mood
Scared

^MyProtein is cheap!

I'm Skinny guy with a belly. Just upped my food intake to 5/6 meals a day.
Will update on Sunday, the end of week 1. I've got a good feeling about this... i'm doing things properly. Had a great workout at the gym on Monday.
Old 9th January 2015, 16:30

How's the workout coming along Button?
Old 10th January 2015, 19:42
Banned

Mood
Scared

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kley
How's the workout coming along Button?

Its going alright...... not following it to the letter yet but building up to it each week. I'm starting to see small changes in my upper body. By week 5 i'll be doing 5/6 workouts in a week. I'm taking it slowly. The biggest struggle is the eating. I'm not putting on any weight. I'm bored of eating the same sodding thing EVERY day. I've eaten so much chicken I started clucking the other day. I feel like im actually turning into a chicken. I'm worried KFC are going to knock on my door at any minute. *runs and hide*

I'm going to create more meal replacements with protein shakes and home made smoothies. I need more calories in me.

Its challenging on different levels but i'm learning about my body and gaining an understanding of what works best for me.
but yeah.....'Operation Body transformation, Bitch to bad ass' has proved more of a challenge than I thought it would be. Gonna stick to it like glue though.
Old 14th January 2015, 13:45
Banned

Mood
Scared

Quiting this clean healthy diet because I can't consume enough food and i'm losing weight. My cooking skills aren't the best and theres only so much basic Chicken and rice I can eat. Unless I can order my meals or get a chef to cook for me its not doable. SO.....

I need to eat more. I am actually going to keep the clean meals but eat ready meals and abit of junk in between the good stuff. I need to get more calories in me. I'll still be getting the nutrients I need.