SAUK Discussion Board

Go Back   SAUK Discussion Board > General Discussion > The Lounge
Join! Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Notices

Reply  Post New Thread

Old 17th April 2024, 16:57

Default Re: How is everyone feeling? (31)

^ ^
Old 17th April 2024, 23:35

I was on the train home and I'm sure I just saw this guy
https://youtu.be/tZLorfd0U6o?feature=shared
Let's face it, if it looked like him it almost certainly was him.
Of course I didn't say anything but just stared awkwardly for a while, until I got to my stop.
Old Yesterday, 01:17

Stressed, depressed, partly undressed.

I started a new job role last week and I have no clue what I'm doing for one project I've been given and there's very little support or guidance I can draw on. I'd usually not stress out too much about something like this but the project itself involves directing an external organisation and convening two stakeholder groups of experts and academics, so there's plenty of scope for personal and organisational embarrassment, loss of money and so on.

It's really affecting my mood and I basically don't want to go in. I've sought support from my line manager but she hasn't worked on a project like this in a while and is always busy, so can't do much. I've managed to book a meeting with someone on a similar project on Friday - hoping that'll give me at least some idea wtf to do. I'm trying hard not to internalise it but it's hard not to feel I'm unable to handle it because of being a silly anxious boy.
Old Today, 06:36

^ hopefully the person you meet with today is able to give you some better guidance on how to go about it all. Perhaps in the meeting you could always ask if you can you share your plan of action or time line for the project with them, or your line manager, before you put anything in place?

This (if your brain will allow me to say) will be one of those things that you’ll smash in the end but I can imagine is frustrating at the moment!
Old Today, 09:46

^^ I can very much relate to that. I've been heavily involved over the last couple of years with project work that is going badly with a large external blue chip company.
The biggest problem I'm having is needing to focus on both high level strategy and low level detail. My main achievement has been roping in everyone else so they can see what a complete sh1tshow it is and take some responsibility lol.

I'd suggest taking a higher level view of the project. Use a braindump if it helps to define the scope and highlight the threads. Then you might be able to see the priorities and roadblocks and also have something tangible you can use to discuss with your manager.
Old Today, 18:06

Thank you both! Very good suggestions! It's getting slightly better but still feeling it.

@biscuits - a proper plan with colours and all is definitely what I need to put together. I feel so overwhelmed with all the different things.

@anewyear - that does not sound fun. Hopefully having others involved is helping. That's some good advice - I'll definitely try it.