SAUK Discussion Board

Go Back   SAUK Discussion Board > Social Anxiety Discussions > The Social Anxiety Room
Join! Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Notices

Reply  Post New Thread

Old 28th June 2023, 20:36

Mood
Breezy

Default How Do You Motivate Yourself?

If you are making progress, and I realise not everybody is able to at this time.

I have ADHD which, among other things, means my ability to motivate myself to do anything is very poor. Plus I have a degree of anxiety in moving forward and making change (normal for anyone).

How do you find the motivation to develop, change or overcome your issues? Do you find you have difficulty? Any tips?
Old 28th June 2023, 20:39

Mood
Breezy

Default Re: How Do You Motivate Yourself?

Found this, haven't watched it yet.
Old 28th June 2023, 21:34

I think motivmation is difficult for most people. I feel that I only motivate myself if I feel very passionate about achieving something and then its very easy then.
Old 28th June 2023, 21:46

The internal panic and shame I feel whenever I try to sit down and relax! I'd rather have the ADHD where you can't get anything done. I have this constant voice in my head reminding me that the seconds are ticking away and I still have a long list of things I need to get done before my time here is up.

It's not healthy. I envy you all!

Saying that, I think the difference is that a lot of the time I use action to force my brain to follow suit, rather than the other way around. So just going through the motions of doing something can usually jolt my brain into 'joining in', even if it doesn't want to do the thing and is busy doing some other mental task in my head. So if I have accounts to do, I'll physically sit down at my desk, switch on the pc, log into Zero, start doing some basic task. If I keep going, usually my brain will decide 'ok, I guess we're doing accounts now' and I can get some work done. If I try doing it the other way around, and get my brain to think about doing accounts, it's a lot harder.
Old 28th June 2023, 21:55

Mood
Breezy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shy_pretty_Angela
I think motivmation is difficult for most people. I feel that I only motivate myself if I feel very passionate about achieving something and then its very easy then.
Intrinsic Motivation

https://www.verywellmind.com/what-is...vation-2795385
Old 28th June 2023, 22:01

Mood
Breezy

Old 28th June 2023, 22:22

I think I spent a good part of my life thinking that motivation was going to.just come along! I got interested in something but then it lost its appeal.
The illness changed things though...because you are just going along thinking you will live till 80...and then you dont know how long you.will live so you start doing things you were too scared to before...saying things etc....and its kind of a revelation because you realise that if you had been like this before you would have been so liked...and no one gave a shit about you saying stupid things!
Old 28th June 2023, 23:05

Mood
Cynical

I reward myself with chocolate.
Old 29th June 2023, 01:42

Mood
Breezy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dougella
I reward myself with chocolate.
Extrinsic motivation.
Old 29th June 2023, 06:44

I try to see the anxiety as a separate part of me. I decide what I'm going to do and why I'm going to do it and I think about the reasons why and why it would be beneficial. Then I commit to it and when the anxiety tries to stop me I keep thinking about the reasons why. And I know I'll feel sick and have all the horrible physical symptoms of anxiety, but I also know that if I push through it that I'll learn to find ways of managing that anxiety and it will lessen as I become more confident.

Then other times I feel like I can't do it and that's okay because I know I'll get into what I've described above at some point.
Old 29th June 2023, 08:11

I think there is a general feeling on forums like these thst the ' normals' in society have an easier time than the rest of us and I personally dont think thats true. Motivation doesnt come easy for anyone and everyone struggles.
Old 29th June 2023, 08:41

I'm only motivated to do things which have a reward.

Running - endorphins, feel better, healthier

Work - money

Cooking - get to eat nice food

Cleaning - nicer place to be in

If there were no rewards I'd never get out of bed. Isn't that how it works for everyone?
Old 29th June 2023, 09:10

^ I'm autistic and my brain likes rewards.
Old 29th June 2023, 09:40

I rent a goblin.

It is tricky, but I think if you have a mixture of activities, that can help your pursuits.
Old 29th June 2023, 09:52

I find the "Pomodoro technique" quite good since I work from home with many computer-based distractions. It's just 25 minutes of work followed by 5 minutes of messing around (or 20 and 10).
Old 29th June 2023, 10:27

^ I do that at work except I do 1 hours work followed by 3 hours off then another 1 hours work followed by 3 off.
Old 29th June 2023, 11:00

Mood
Cynical

Quote:
Originally Posted by BFG_
I'm only motivated to do things which have a reward.

Running - endorphins, feel better, healthier

Work - money

Cooking - get to eat nice food

Cleaning - nicer place to be in

If there were no rewards I'd never get out of bed. Isn't that how it works for everyone?
This is how it is for me too. I do also give myself little rewards, like some chocolate, after I've done some sort of task because it genuinely helps me do things
Old 29th June 2023, 11:09

Mood
Cynical

Quote:
Originally Posted by Percy
If you are making progress, and I realise not everybody is able to at this time.

I have ADHD which, among other things, means my ability to motivate myself to do anything is very poor. Plus I have a degree of anxiety in moving forward and making change (normal for anyone).

How do you find the motivation to develop, change or overcome your issues? Do you find you have difficulty? Any tips?
Don't some people with ADHD struggle with executive functioning? So as I understand it, getting started with a task, even if you really want or need to do it can be difficult. Also staying on task I guess if you have ADHD might be tricky?
Old 29th June 2023, 11:39

Mood
Breezy

Quote:
Don't some people with ADHD struggle with executive functioning? So as I understand it, getting started with a task, even if you really want or need to do it can be difficult. Also staying on task I guess if you have ADHD might be tricky?
Yes, we have very poor executive functioning, which means among other things that we struggle to start and finish tasks.
Old 29th June 2023, 12:35

Mood
Cynical

^ That must be really challenging sometimes. Do you take any meds for your ADHD?
Old 29th June 2023, 12:41

[^^^

I work for the local council. I tried working at my normal speed when I started but gave up as it just leaves you stressed and frustrated. It's a bit like working for the vogons in hitch hikers guide to the galaxy.

I could honestly get my entire weeks work done on a Monday probably before lunch.
Old 29th June 2023, 13:06

Mood
Breezy

Quote:
^ That must be really challenging sometimes. Do you take any meds for your ADHD?
Unfortunately not, we tried the whole spectrum of meds and none of them worked.
Old 29th June 2023, 14:46

I try to look at the positive! Where I soar like an eagle! With wind beneath my wings! Because I am Batman!

What I've started to do recently. Yesterday to be exact. I've started to journal. I suppose you could say that I'm getting to know me. Mainly as it feels like I've been in a superficial relationship with myself for far too long. It just doesn't seem to be going anywhere with myself is what I'm trying to say. Although it wasn't always like that of course. During the honeymoon period with myself, I only wish I had shares in Kleenex! But times change. Which is why I'm journaling right now. Which in turn, might help with the motivation.

So onwards and upwards. Where I soar like an eagle! With wind beneath my wings! Because I am Batman!

Old 29th June 2023, 19:47

By telling myself that I'm a complete failure who should be doing much better and needs a massive kick up the arse. Trying to prove everyone who doubts me wrong motivates me as well. My intense fear of failure is my main motivation really.

Probably not the best approach really. It means I do force myself to do stuff, but I never actually enjoy any of it and never feel like I've achieved anything. I wouldn't recommend it.
Old 29th June 2023, 19:58

A big motivator for me is my intense fear of letting people down.
Old 30th June 2023, 06:33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shy_pretty_Angela
I think there is a general feeling on forums like these thst the ' normals' in society have an easier time than the rest of us and I personally dont think thats true. Motivation doesnt come easy for anyone and everyone struggles.
Yes this is a really good point. When I think of all the people that I know, I don't know many that are motivated for change (which this thread is about rather than motivation to get little jobs done).

Quote:
People get to a point where they feel comfortable and then stay there and change has a danger of upsetting that feeling of balance, comfort and safety.
Old 30th June 2023, 12:18

Mood
Breezy

Quote:
Originally Posted by biscuits
People get to a point where they feel comfortable and then stay there and change has a danger of upsetting that feeling of balance, comfort and safety.
Yes indeed, this is true for me. The question is how do I get out of this comfort trap?
Old 17th August 2023, 23:38

Mood
Breezy

Old 17th August 2023, 23:41

Quote:
Yes indeed, this is true for me. The question is how do I get out of this comfort trap?
Subscribe to my £678 a month YouTube channel and I will reveal how.
Old 18th August 2023, 00:08

Mood
Breezy

Quote:
Originally Posted by biscuits
Subscribe to my £678 a month YouTube channel and I will reveal how.
Can I pay in monopoly money?