SAUK Discussion Board

Go Back   SAUK Discussion Board > Social Anxiety Discussions > The Social Anxiety Room
Join! Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Notices

Closed Thread  Post New Thread

Old 4th September 2008, 00:19

Mood
Nerdy

Default Re: Rhodiola Rosea

Hey guys, I've just started taking Rhodiola, been on 500mg a day for three days.. was just wondering when the effects will kick in?
Because to be fair I don't feel any different at the mo.

Doesn't help that I've had a few late nights I suppose.
Old 4th September 2008, 00:27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beck
Hey guys, I've just started taking Rhodiola, been on 500mg a day for three days.. was just wondering when the effects will kick in?
Because to be fair I don't feel any different at the mo.

Doesn't help that I've had a few late nights I suppose.
Hey Beck,

its usually straight away i think, well was for me anyway.

for me, 250mg would do nothign,500mg would give me a surge of energy and 750-1000mg would calm me do (ive always needed big doses). im not sure it will counteract the late nights as rhodiola is more calming whereas other adaptogens like ginseng are for the big energy rush, from what ive read anyway.
Old 4th September 2008, 00:35

Mood
Nerdy

Hiya Maro.

Yep I think I'll be able to tell more when I'm not half asleep! Hopefully I'll start feeling some positive effects soon.
Old 4th September 2008, 00:36

Maro - do you know if its okay to crush the tablets up to take? I've had mine nearly a week but havent taken any yet, can't swallow pills so always need to crush them. Thanks!
Old 4th September 2008, 00:43

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dannysbabe
Maro - do you know if its okay to crush the tablets up to take? I've had mine nearly a week but havent taken any yet, can't swallow pills so always need to crush them. Thanks!
hi, i dont know the answer to that one sorry. i cant see the harm in tryin it though, it gets dissolved anyway when its inside you so cant see it would make much difference. would be the same as emptying out a capsule. personally id give it a go, but i dont want to misadvise you in anyway
Old 4th September 2008, 01:05

OK, thanks, I'll maybe give it a go on Saturday when I don't have to go anywhere, just in case I have a bad effect!
Old 8th September 2008, 23:28

I'm going to try rhodiola too. I tried amoryn a while ago, which has rhodiola in it, and it did have some positive results for me, but it made me a little bit dizzy and I found it hard to concentrate.

So I think i'l try rhodiola on its own now, since i've stopped taking citalopram which did absolutely nothing anyway.
Old 9th September 2008, 12:30

Quote:
Originally Posted by maro111
Im combining it with 5-htp
Having just got my delivery I was thinking of doing this. Does anyone know if the two together would be liable to induce 'Serotinin overload' (sorry can't remember the correct terminology!) or is that more of an issue if combined with SSRIs/St Johns Wort?
Old 9th September 2008, 15:36

I'd hate to suggest that It def wouldnt give you that, only to find out later that someone did get serotonin syndrome,

but i've tried amoryn which had 5htp and rhodiola in it and it didnt cause serotonin syndrome......so for me, for the 5htp and rhodiola mix I tried it was fine, and I suspect was for everyone else who's tried amoryn
Old 11th September 2008, 01:59

How are the people who have recently ordered rhodiola finding it? I've ordered some myself now, but after doing a bit of reading up I decided to get more expensive slightly stronger stuff, this......

http://www.all-ages-vitamins.co.uk/l...lt.asp?id=1725

apparently has a higher content of rosavins, the active ingredient, my dad is paying so i thought i might as well.

anyways, tell me how you're getting on people?
Old 11th September 2008, 02:11

I can't answer you Antifish, I've had mine for almost two weeks (or is it one week? can't remember) but not taken any yet. I was wondering at what time of day to take it? I don't do breakfast as not usually up that early so it'd have to be lunch time or tea time.
Old 11th September 2008, 02:15

Mood
Stressed

Quote:
Originally Posted by AntiFish
How are the people who have recently ordered rhodiola finding it? I've ordered some myself now, but after doing a bit of reading up I decided to get more expensive slightly stronger stuff, this......

http://www.all-ages-vitamins.co.uk/l...lt.asp?id=1725

apparently has a higher content of rosavins, the active ingredient, my dad is paying so i thought i might as well.

anyways, tell me how you're getting on people?
to be perfectly honest, i've been taking 750mg for a week now and it hasn't done anything. Still prefer my blackmarket valium. In fact, come to think of it, better ditch the valium and try it without.
Old 11th September 2008, 09:27

Mood
Lucky

I didn't notice the effects until I started taking it alongside 5-HTP. Now I feel a lot more relaxed and confident. I take 250mg or 500mg in the morning before breakfast (depends on what kind of day i'm expecting)and 250mg at around 5/6pm. I take the 5-HTP before bed on a empty stomach.
I have noticed I am feeling more refreshed in the morning...but having very vivid dreams??
Old 11th September 2008, 18:22

yeh I tried 5htp and had really really mental dreams, some of them nightmares about demons stealing babies and it sorta like an acid trip too lol......nothing that couldnt handle, but strange.
Old 11th September 2008, 19:33

Thanks for the replies above guys.

Interesting results from 'egnt' posted above - how much 5htp do you take before bed?

Has anyone found a reasonable price on 5htp? The best I've found online is 120 x 100mg caps for £20 on foryourhealth.co.uk.

Also found this article, looks like subjects were taking 300mg 5htp per day unless I'm misinterpreting it:

Both have been shown to have an antidepressant effect in clinical trials, although 5HTP is more effective - 27 studies, involving 990 people to date, most of which proved effective. . So how do they compare with anti-depressants? In play-off studies between 5-HTP and SSRI antidepressants, 5-HTP generally comes out slightly better. One double-blind trial headed by Dr. Poldinger at the Basel University of Psychiatry gave 34 depressed volunteers either the SSRI fluvoxamine (Luvox) or 300 mg of 5-HTP. At the end of the six weeks, both groups of patients had had a significant improvement in their depression. However, those taking 5-HTP had a slightly greater improvement, compared to those on the SSRI, in each of the four criteria assessed—depression, anxiety, insomnia, and physical symptoms—as well as the their own self-assessment, although this improvement was not statistically significant.
Since anti-depressant drugs, in some sensitive people, can induce an overload of serotonin called ‘serotonin syndrome’ characterised by feeling hot, high blood pressure, twitching, cramping, dizziness and disorientation, some concern has been expressed about the possibility of increasing the odds of serotonin syndrome with the combination of 5-HTP and an SSRI drug. However a recent review on the safety of 5-HTP concludes that ‘serotonin syndrome has not been reported in humans in association with 5-HTP, either as monotherapy (on its own) or in combination with other medications.’
Old 13th September 2008, 16:19

Mood
Lucky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seagull
Interesting results from 'egnt' posted above - how much 5htp do you take before bed?
I take 100mg just before bed.
Old 16th September 2008, 07:26

I have just started taking Rhodiola and so far no difference whatsoever. If this changes, I will let you know!
Old 16th September 2008, 19:09

Quote:
Originally Posted by maro111
Man this stuff is awesome...sooo much energy and feel really happy today!! feel more confident and less concerned about what other people think.
I'm going to get me some of this!
Old 17th September 2008, 21:32

Holland & Barrett are selling it in their shops now, I bought some today.
There's not been many more positive reports about it I notice, so I'm not expecting much, but worth a try I guess.
Old 20th September 2008, 22:00

All gone very quiet so I'm presuming not much success with this one?!?!

Old 21st September 2008, 16:22

I've tried it and have to say I've not even noticed any effects, positive or negative.

Maybe you need to take it regularly for awhile to get the best out of it though.
Old 23rd September 2008, 00:01

I decided to give this ago after reading this thread - for about two weeks I've been taking 500mg rhodiola and then over the last week 50-100mg 5-HTP (found in Holland & Barrett) as well. To be honest, I haven't noticed much of an effect up to now as far as anything anxiety-related goes, although interestingly the last couple of times I have made it to the gym my recovery time has been a little better than usual. Whether this is anything to do with the supplements I'm not sure yet, however I'm gonna stick to it for a while longer and see if any other effects kick in... judging by the mixed responses on here perhaps not, but regardless, cheers to the OP for the tip
Old 23rd September 2008, 04:46

I've also started taking it and I'd have to agree, I'm not noticing a huge change. I think I have slightly more energy, but it's nothing drastic.
Old 23rd September 2008, 18:47

Mood
Amused

Took Rhodiola Rosea for a couple of days. Made me a bit hyper. A bit over awake. Couldn't sleep thus I had to stop taking it. Being someone that gets insomnia sometimes anyway its not really a good thing for me lol.
Old 23rd September 2008, 19:01

I have been taking it for 9 days now, and apart from a bit of a placebo effect at first, it doesn't help at all, but then never really thought it would because if it did, we would all know about it.
Old 24th September 2008, 12:34

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColinV
doesn't help at all, but then never really thought it would because if it did, we would all know about it.

not necessarily colinv.....herbal things tend to have quite different effects on different people and rhodiola is relatively unheard of and sa can caused by a few different things, so different treatments in general may work for different people...... so there are a few reasons why it may not be common knowledge that its potentially helpful.

for e.g. Amoryn helped me quite a lot, yet barely ever hear that mentioned on here, it made me feel a bit dizzy though, so i'm trying rhodiola on its own, as amoryn is a few things mixed.

but if rhodiola doesnt work for me, i'l go back to amoryn.
Old 24th September 2008, 13:01

Hi AntiFish

where can i buy amoryn from?
Old 25th September 2008, 19:57

they've stopped selling it in the uk for some reason, I have no idea why....you can order it from a few places in the u.s over the net....google is your friend!
Old 26th September 2008, 09:13

Cheers for the reply,
If they have stopped selling it in the UK, then that says it all.....back to waiting for death then!
Old 26th September 2008, 10:46

I dont know why they did, perhaps they were selling enough to bother with with a uk outlet.....i'm not sure what you mean that says it all?
Closed Thread