SAUK Discussion Board

Go Back   SAUK Discussion Board > General Discussion > The Lounge
Join! Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Notices

Reply  Post New Thread

Old 4th September 2022, 14:15

Default What are your obsessions?

Are there things you're obsessed with?

I often can't like anything without getting obsessed over it. I either like things an inadequate amount, or I'm balls deep into it.

For me it's the sport of mma. I spend way too many hours a week following it, listening about it, analysing it, reading about it, etc.

My other thing is training (and the boring nutrition side to it). I just don't know how I can live a life without lifting heavy sh*t anymore.

Asian martial arts movies are giant in my life.

And so on and so forth.

What are some of yours?
Old 4th September 2022, 14:32

Mood
Cynical

Default Re: What are your obsessions?

Right now? Polygamous cults that are offshoots of the Mormon church and the people who escape from them. Well you did ask
Old 4th September 2022, 14:41

I wish I could get obsessed with something. Nearest I get to it is video games. When I'm not playing games, I'm watching other people play them on Twitch, and when I'm not doing that, I'm probably reading about them. But it's not really an obsession, more a dependency, the most effective way I've found to keep me distracted from my thoughts. I can't remember the last time I was genuinely excited by any of it, it's just, you know, content. Media sludge to wade through.

I like old horror novels with disgusting, lurid cover art. I like dinky little miniature versions of bigger things. I like the idea of eating the rich. I just can't get properly worked up about any of it though.
Old 4th September 2022, 16:56

Comparative Germanic lexicology, including language contact and loanwords. Plus smaller and lesser-known Germanic languages and dialects.

I've spent countless hours of my life on these things, but still know nothing. It's an itch I can't stop scratching, a force driving me on that's always on my mind. I feel it's my life purpose, if only I could turn it into something worthwhile and enduring (well, I have managed to produce several major studies for my website).
Old 4th September 2022, 17:07

^ wow! Which languages can you speak?
Old 4th September 2022, 19:59

Mood
Buzzed

My only real obsession was snowboarding. I was hooked from my first holiday and would spend hours reading magazines, watching videos and would spend hours on those shitty painful dry slopes. Would also have 2 to 3 snowboarding holidays a year to Europe or the US.

Then I sold my first flat and left a good job at IBM to spend six months in Whistler, just snowboarding every day.

Got back home, got my job back at IBM and then left again a year and a half later to go out to Fernie in Canada for 6 months snowboarding again. Then remarkably got my job back at IBM again.

Kids came along and I badly screwed up my left elbow so havent been for a while. Against the consultants advice and risking a complet elbow replacement, I'm gonna go again this winter

and falling back in love with boxing which I just started again, against the advice of my elbow consultant.
Old 4th September 2022, 20:05

Video games, particularly if I can build and manage something - a hospital, a prison, a theme park. Or anything with zombies in.

True crime documentaries.

Cleaning, sorting, organising. Organising is probably my main obsession. I organise as much of my own life in as much detail as I can and do so for those I live with too and I love it.