SAUK Discussion Board

Go Back   SAUK Discussion Board > Social Anxiety Discussions > The Social Anxiety Room
Join! Blogs FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

Reply  Post New Thread

Old 20th May 2020, 10:53

Mood
Gloomy

Default Is anybody in the ESA support group

Hi, I have just been in ESA assessment since Jan, filled out ESA50 form and yesterday I received a letter putting me in the ESA support group, is anybody else in this and what to expect. I am really shocked as I have heard so many horror stories and was expecting to have a face to face assessment and them make me look for work in WRAG but they have put me straight into the support group.
Old 20th May 2020, 11:05

Mood
Cynical

Default Re: Is anybody in the ESA support group

Yes I am at the moment. To be honest you probably don't need to expect much, particularly in the current situation. You probably won't be contacted again until your next assessment. If you want to speak to a disability adviser at the job centre about anything like voluntary work I think you can request that though.
Old 20th May 2020, 11:27

Mood
Gloomy

I was told that I now dont have to submit sick notes is this correct - I currently scan them and send to DWP
Old 20th May 2020, 12:20
Banned at own request

Mood
Doubtful

I haven't had to send in sick notes for well over a decade .
Old 20th May 2020, 13:16

Mood
Cynical

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rufus
I was told that I now dont have to submit sick notes is this correct - I currently scan them and send to DWP
That's right, you won't have to send in anymore sick notes.
Old 20th May 2020, 15:31

I'm in the ESA support group too. There's not a lot to it really, they seem to just leave you alone until your next assessment

It was a pain when I was originally put in the work group. I got sent to this recruitment place, and after a few appointments the person I saw there seemed as confused as I was as to why I was being sent there. Luckily I had a support worker to step in for me and raise the issue with the DWP, and I got moved over to the support group.
Old 20th May 2020, 16:09

Mood
Mellow

I was in ESA support group until Autumn 2018, then I moved to another town, had to transfer over to universal credit, fortunately received exactly same amount, now I'm back to the same area before I moved, I'm still on universal credit.

I think ESA is being phased out eventually and UC will be the standard?
Old 20th May 2020, 19:06
Co-Administrator

Mood
Tired

I was in the support group for years then had an assessment and scored 0, appealed and although nothing had changed was moved to WRAG.

Support group I was just left to it.
Although to be fair apart from 1 appointment when I first moved to WRAG I've never had to do anything or go back to the job centre since.
Old 21st May 2020, 10:44

Mood
Gloomy

I have never been assessed - they appear to have made the decision based on what I put on the ESA50 form, I never even had any medical evidence, (letters from my health care professionals) I just put down their details, I dont know if they have contacted any of them.
I am currently seeing a psychologist that was part of my health insurance before I was dismissed, I only have a few sessions left before that runs out, cant really afford her after that, cant face getting another and having to go through all my problems again and I really have a good relationship with her (trust), I will have to find the money from somewhere as she said will do them 1/2 price as she knows we have no money. I feel such a failure as others just cope and get on with life.
I am petrified of getting put in WRAG if I am assessed and having to look for work as I just cant cope, every little thing is a massive deal, I have zero self esteem and confidence - scared of meeting others and what they think of me and how I cant manage.
Old 21st May 2020, 11:02

Mood
Gloomy

Really worried as just got put in the support group but we will have to move this year back to our old house in another town as our current house is up for sale as we cant afford the mortgage as I lost my job (probably going to be repossessed) and if I am reassessed I will lose it.

I was to blame, as I developed an alcohol problem and got arrested, so my employer sacked me. God my life is such a mess - not drinking now but doesnt stop all the after effects, just cant pull myself together.

Sorry about pouring all this out (this is just the tip of the iceberg) guess I am looking for approval, for people to understand as I hate/ blame myself for everything. I know "whats done is done" and although I have always pretended others opinions of me dont matter to me, deep down they do. Always looking for approval to be liked.

I mean, who is going to employee an ex malc, with mental health problems , a criminal record and who was sacked after 30 odd years.

Last edited by Rufus; 21st May 2020 at 11:04. Reason: .
Old 21st May 2020, 16:06
Co-Administrator

Mood
Tired

Quote:
I have never been assessed - they appear to have made the decision based on what I put on the ESA50 form, I never even had any medical evidence, (letters from my health care professionals) I just put down their details, I dont know if they have contacted any of them.
I am currently seeing a psychologist that was part of my health insurance before I was dismissed, I only have a few sessions left before that runs out, cant really afford her after that, cant face getting another and having to go through all my problems again and I really have a good relationship with her (trust), I will have to find the money from somewhere as she said will do them 1/2 price as she knows we have no money. I feel such a failure as others just cope and get on with life.
I am petrified of getting put in WRAG if I am assessed and having to look for work as I just cant cope, every little thing is a massive deal, I have zero self esteem and confidence - scared of meeting others and what they think of me and how I cant manage.
You don't have to look for work in the Wrag group - you only have to do things that will help you return to work in the future. Which can be anything including getting mental health help.
Old 21st May 2020, 16:26

Mood
Cynical

Quote:
Assessments have been halted at the moment due to the pandemic so you don't have to worry right now. Since you were put into the support group in the first place whatever evidence, forms etc must have been strong enough because it's quite rare for people with mental health problems to be put straight there unless they have someone like a health professional advocating for them. So don't panic!

Even if in the worst case scenario you were put into the WRAG in the future you are still not required to look for work, they usually want to know that you are taking steps to be ready to move towards work, so volunteering, online courses, anything else along those lines and simply carrying on with therapy etc can count as that too.
Old 21st May 2020, 16:52
Banned at own request

Mood
Doubtful

https://www.disabilityrightsuk.org/s...nsguidance.pdf
Old 21st May 2020, 23:45

I'm in support group like you when i first applied i didn't have a f2f assessment i didn't have a clue about esa or the horror stores i didn't even know i was supposed to send in medical evidence luckily i got my award just based on what i had wrote on my form, you don't need to do anything when in support group they leave you alone.
Old 22nd May 2020, 00:12
Banned at own request

Mood
Doubtful

I'm very much against a system where how you,or how someone else fills out a form for you, counts so much as to how you do .
That's because it can create a situation where A is less disabled than B but better at form filling, so gets a better outcome than B. For me that's totally indefensible .
Old 22nd May 2020, 00:46

Quote:
Originally Posted by firemonkey
I'm very much against a system where how you,or how someone else fills out a form for you, counts so much as to how you do .
That's because it can create a situation where A is less disabled than B but better at form filling, so gets a better outcome than B. For me that's totally indefensible .
Nothing to do with being good at filling in the form i only gave one short sentence answer to each question and it was clear from my answers that my circumstances meet a support group descriptior that's why i was awarded without a f2f.
Old 22nd May 2020, 12:17

Mood
Gloomy

sophie123 - did they indicate how many points you were awarded as mine didn't.
Old 22nd May 2020, 14:44

Quote:
sophie123 - did they indicate how many points you were awarded ?
You don't get support group by scoring points you need to meet a support group descriptor or qualify under the special regulations(reg 35) you can ask them for a copy of the decision makers report and that will tell you what you qualified under and you can also ask them for the health care professionals report if you want to know what they said about you.
Old 22nd May 2020, 15:28

Mood
Cynical

Quote:
Originally Posted by firemonkey
I think you're right there in terms of that it can leave some people at a disadvantage if they have any kind of problems with reading/writing/communication/concentration which is a lot of people for a variety of different reasons! It really should be down to the medical professionals who are dealing with the person's care and what the person themselves is able to say about their conditions as to the decisions that are made. Also there needs to be a lot more support for people to be able to do whatever they might want to or be capable of trying, but not pushing people in any way. At the moment it seems people are either left alone completely or bothered about doing things that aren't useful to them or that they don't necessarily feel ready for.
Old 22nd May 2020, 17:08

Mood
Gloomy

HI, I have never been on benefits so sorry if my questions seem a bit daft. what is special regs 35.
Worried to ask about the decision makers report, in case they change the decision or put me up for a F2F - might be better off leaving well alone.
Old 22nd May 2020, 17:18

Mood
Cynical

^ I can understand you not wanting to ask, that's the thing about the benefits system it can make you so fearful of even asking a question incase they change something. Did you get a letter telling you you were in the support group?
Old 22nd May 2020, 17:34

[QUOTE=Rufus;2484450]HI, I have never been on benefits so sorry if my questions seem a bit daft. what is special regs 35.
Worried to ask about the decision makers report, in case they change the decision or put me up for a F2F - might be better off leaving well alone.[/QUOTE

Google reg35 that will explain it better than I can and don't worry about asking for the decision makers report I have did it twice it doesn't make any difference to your decision once the decision has been made they can't just change it, by law you are entitled to a copy of any information DWP hold on you millions of people get copies of both reports.
Old 22nd May 2020, 17:37

Mood
Gloomy

I asked my psychologist today if the DWP had been in contact - they hadnt

What I find ironic is that when I have told various people that I have been put in the ESA support group - the first question they have all asked was "what support will you get by being in this group".
Old 22nd May 2020, 17:49

Mood
Gloomy

Dougella - thats part of my condition, catastrophizing, negative thinking, glass 1/2 empty, always fearing the worst, but to answer your question - yes I have a letter stating I am now in the support group - I got a payment first and thought something was afoot but got the letter a week later but that is down to the post office saving mail up and delivering once a week.

Sophie - i had a quick look about reg 35 and as it appears to be something along the lines of putting yourself or others in harms way when working due to your illness, so I assume my suicidal ideation put me in the support group.
Old 22nd May 2020, 17:54

Mood
Cynical

^ Many of us have or have had that kind of negative thinking or catastrophising,you're definitely not alone there. That's good then, you have official proof that you are in the support group which is always reassuring.
Old 22nd May 2020, 18:53

Mood
Gloomy

It should be a weight off my mind as I was panicking about looking for work when I was in no fit state but now I am worrying about how long I have to sort out my problems and what do I do if I dont and what people will think of me being on benefits, not being able work, having a mental illness.

I am so sick of how my dysfunctional mind works, I wish I did not care so much about what people think and how it will go wrong.

I need to accept it, see it as the positive thing it is, stop questioning it and use the time to get well again. - sorry that was more for me.
Old 22nd May 2020, 19:17

Mood
Cynical

^ You have to think of mental illness as the same as any other kind of illness, it's not your fault and people shouldn't be judging you for not being able to work at the moment. Anyone who does is obviously ignorant of how serious mental health problems can be.
Old 22nd May 2020, 19:43

Mood
Gloomy

I know, It would be different if I had a broken leg and people could see something, In my experience most people think you are taking the mick, that your lazy and work shy, I have heard it all before but as my therapist said today "what would you say to those people if they were saying this about your friend." - you can imagine the answer. I just need to do the same for myself instead of believing it.
Old 23rd May 2020, 03:01

Not necessarily you could have met a descriptor they didn't contact my GP either I did write on my form that I was waiting to see a mental health professional though, a few people haven't believed me when I said I got support group with no f2f and no medical evidence apart from sick notes so it's good that it happened to you too.
Old 23rd May 2020, 11:14

Mood
Gloomy

I think the current lockdown will have played a big part due to F2F being postponed, the time I have been in the assessment phase (since Jan) and all the other claims putting strain on the system - I expected a tel assessment but thank god that never happened, my mind goes blank when put under pressure.

I would imagine when we return to some sort of normality that we will be the first to be reassessed