Notices

Reply  Post New Thread

Old 3rd June 2018, 13:58
Banned

Mood
Happy

Default Jobs that don't involve office politics

Hi

It's nice to know that there are other people across the country who wear a smile across their face everyday but sometimes struggle to keep it together.

I would really appreciate some advice please:

I'm approaching my late 30s and I would love a job I can stay in for more than 3 months. This was not a problem until 3 years ago where I was psychologically bullied at work because I just wanted to keep my head down and work.

I refused to be involved in shallow, nasty gossipy 'let's all make a cup of coffee and talk about other people in the kitchen' talk so this made me a target for bullies because I was just getting my work done and doing it well!

Eventually, I left as it had a negative impact on my wellbeing and since then I have been in temporary (well-paid) office roles. I would go in at 9am do the work effectively and efficiently and come out at 5pm getting paid at the end of the week. I was so happy because my manager was happy with my work and I looked forward to being paid at the end of the week which meant I could enjoy doing my hobbies!

There was just one problem. My colleagues didn't like it. They would say I was not a 'team player' which essentially meant I was making them look bad because I didn't spend time gossiping in the kitchen or going out for a smoke - like one of the gang. So what did they do about this? They decided to deliberately withhold information to delay me so of course I was not able to complete the work on time. So of course then my manager would be annoyed with me because I didn't complete the work.

They had been there for years so the manager wasn't going to 'antagonise' them, (although it was so obvious what they were doing) as it was easier to tell me 'thank you for all your hard work but there's no more work for you here'.

The prospect of being a graduate unemployment statistic 15 years ago, struck me with fear so I jumped into office jobs because I thought I'd be in demand - I was! It's just in hindsight the environment was always foreign to me.

People who were working in the office for 'five minutes' were swiftly promoted not because they had the knowledge but because they participated in the kitchen gossiping/smoking sessions. It seems if you are sociable but refuse to be involved in gossiping, you become a target and all of a sudden 'you are not performing' and so there's no more work for you.

I thank God that I'm old enough to understand that life is not fair so I always tend to take a practical approach rather than lamenting unfairness, whether real or perceived.

I have no problem with anybody who wants to be a manager, it's just not for me. I've met some lovely managers who have the knowledge and experience and have earned their position. However, they are in the minority and are swiftly demoted or dismissed because they refuse to engage in underhand tactics.

To stress myself to become a manger for a few pounds extra pay, social isolation and anxiety doesn't make sense to me. I am happy outside of work so work for me is to cover the bills, hence I'm not remotely interested in ladder climbing.

Finally, when you apply for non-office jobs and they see on your CV you have a science degree they shut down and decide what sort of person you are going to be without even giving you a chance. I would be happy to do cleaning and I have applied for numerous cleaning roles but they say I'm over-qualified. Again, this doesn't make sense! I haven't done any cleaning so offer me a job then train me, I work and get paid! Why is this so complicated?

I just want to work without having to be psychologically bullied because I refuse to engage in gossipy nonsense.

Apologies for the long post but could you please suggest jobs that don't involve office politics and where people can be civilised, do a job and be paid for doing it well?

Thanks
Old 3rd June 2018, 23:58
Banned

Mood
Happy

Default Re: Jobs that don't involve office politics

Thanks Vaxjo, you're right! Just thought I'd ask just in case there was something I was missing!
Old 4th June 2018, 21:20
Banned

Mood
Happy

Smile Re: Jobs that don't involve office politics

Quote:
Originally Posted by jinny
Interesting, vaxjo

I wonder what your background/job/gender is & whether any of it makes a difference?

I got the impression the OP is female & maybe that makes a difference in terms of being ostracised if you're not part of the gang?

Anyone who comes on here a lot will probably have read my endless whinging about work...so I won't go on about it too much again, except to say Anxious Person that I put up with being bullied by my work colleagues for 6 years before giving in my notice & working supply instead. This year has been a lot better in terms of being able to face work, I find it a lot easier turning up, working & getting paid without worrying about making friends and fitting in.

I do think that the more professional the people you work with & the more seriously they take the job, the easier they are to get along with. People who turn up for work & just want an easy life tend to be difficult to work with I find, as they resent people who do work hard, because it makes them look bad & also they tend to stay in one place where they feel comfortable & only want people around them who they like.

Are their no jobs your degree would take you towards?
Hi Jinny,

I'm glad you had the courage to leave your old workplace and that you're feeling better about going to work. It's amazing how negativity at work can have such an impact on our overall wellbeing.

I loved my degree course but I love being around people so working in a lab didn't really suit me but my colleagues were fantastic - probably because the majority were guys. I agree - unfortunately gender does play a huge part!

If there are issues to be ironed out, broadly speaking guys will either agree or disagree and sort it - there and then. Females tend to hold it against you for months and you won't even remember what the initial discussion was about. Bizarre! Yep, I can say that as I am female and I'll never understand why this!

I did look at teaching but it was not for me so looking at doing something practical and more creative. I'm naturally more creative than technically inclined but chose science as I enjoyed it and for the potential job security.

However, I'm at an age now where, God willing, I live for another 30+ years I need to enjoy what I'm doing and more importantly work with people who appreciate the value in treating all people with common decency and respect.

Thanks
Old 4th June 2018, 21:32
Banned

Mood
Happy

Quote:
Originally Posted by silenus
If you've got a science degree then maybe you could get work as a lab technician or some sort of engineering job? I doubt there are many jobs where you will escape office politics entirely, but I have found that when you do more practical jobs people will give you a certain amount of respect just for being useful.
Hi Silenus,

I enjoyed my time working in the lab (during the course) but I love being around people so that's why I moved away from science into office work.

Definitely agree that I'll move away from office work into something more practical and hopefully more creative! Like you say, would probably be treated more humanely just for being useful. Hopefully I'm not asking for too much!

Do you work in a predominantly male or female environment? Or are you lucky enough to work in a place where people are just decent

Thanks for your suggestion!
Old 9th June 2018, 12:41

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnxiousPerson
I would be happy to do cleaning and I have applied for numerous cleaning roles but they say I'm over-qualified.
cant you just leave that stuff off the cvs you send to cleaning roles.
make yourself less qualified.
Old 16th August 2018, 20:35
Banned

Mood
Happy

Quote:
just to add...Anxious P, vaxjo mentioned about people sabotaging your work...I was scapegoated a lot & blamed for things that other people had done. It's just part of being bullied...so I don't doubt it's happened to you too
Thanks very much Jinny and sorry for the late reply. I hope you're well and happy. It's good to know that it's not just me!
Old 16th August 2018, 20:36
Banned

Mood
Happy

Quote:
^ I wish all of us who hate meanness and gossiping could work together!
That would be ideal! :-)
Old 16th August 2018, 20:38
Banned

Mood
Happy

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrjynx
cant you just leave that stuff off the cvs you send to cleaning roles.
make yourself less qualified.
Thanks for your suggestion - it makes sense
Old 16th August 2018, 20:39
Banned

Mood
Happy

Quote:
^ I wish all of us who hate meanness and gossiping could work together!
That would be ideal!
Old 16th August 2018, 20:52
Banned

Mood
Happy

Quote:
Originally Posted by J-Dog
How much do you need to earn?

Have you considered freelancing?
Sorry for the late reply and thanks for your suggestion.

Freelancing is definitely something I'm working towards as I'll be able to focus my energy on actual work, rather than anxiety over being hampered by office politics!
Old 16th August 2018, 20:53
Banned

Mood
Happy

How is work going for everyone?