Reply  Post New Thread

Old 23rd February 2022, 17:45

Mood
Breezy

Default Re: What I did today - for small achievements and cheers

Congratulations SpectralOwls
Old 23rd February 2022, 17:59

Awww. Congratulations, SpectralOwls! All that you have been through trying to get to the UK and everything, it must be the best feeling to have finally got married!

can't wait to see the pics! :D
Old 24th February 2022, 00:33

Wow congratulations Spectra!
I've enjoyed reading all your updates over these months, all those ups & downs. Joy & bliss to you both

Definitely post pictures!
What's your four legged situation right now? Does your husband already have a dog, are you contemplating a new purchase?
And how are you enjoying England, has there been anything that's surprised you/delighted you so far?
Old 24th February 2022, 23:57

Mood
Pensive

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpectralOwls
Not from today, but been too busy to post on here! Finally got married last weekend at a court ceremony! I was so nervous that I'd mess up the lines, but it went very well. ^_^ I'll have to post up pics soon..
Congratulations
Old 28th February 2022, 11:25

Mood
Spaced

Talking Re: What I did today - for small achievements and cheers

Quote:
Originally Posted by biscuits
Awww. Congratulations, SpectralOwls! All that you have been through trying to get to the UK and everything, it must be the best feeling to have finally got married!

can't wait to see the pics! :D
Thank you! <3 It feels good, but at the same time we've always known each other so well that it feels really natural for us. It is a relief, though my next step is getting the spouse visa which I'm more confident about since we are now officially married!

Well I got some pics back from my nieces, still waiting on the videos. I'll post them up later today perhaps :D

Quote:
Originally Posted by genovese
Wow congratulations Spectra!
I've enjoyed reading all your updates over these months, all those ups & downs. Joy & bliss to you both

Definitely post pictures!
What's your four legged situation right now? Does your husband already have a dog, are you contemplating a new purchase?
And how are you enjoying England, has there been anything that's surprised you/delighted you so far?
Awh, thank you so much! It was undoubtedly the most stressful time of my life getting here LOL. It feels so much better now being together, like I have someone to lean on now and I don't have to worry as much.

I've been checking in on the pupper, and he is doing pretty well it seems like. Oh boy, do I miss him though! I am worried that I won't be able to bring him over with all that is happening here, and his age being so high already. It makes me cry to think about leaving him behind, but I want to do what's best for him in the end. I am a practical person, and the raising prices here from covid/brexit and now a flipping war on top of it, may mean he will be better off over there and it hurts to acknowledge. For now I'm waiting it out to see how it goes.

The two of us are living with his parents at the moment, hopefully until I get my next visa then we'll try to move to our own place. His parents unfortunately don't like dogs so there are no pets here, which is a bit lonely. I would love to get a dog when we're at a good place in our life, as I am wanting to do more out-doorsy things like camping and other things.

I really like England! I feel a lot safer just walking around town and my agoraphobia isn't quite so bad here honestly. A lot of services are cheaper here, as there is more competition between businesses compared to the US (a lot less monopolies bulldozing businesses here). No personal taxes to do like in the US which is a total headache, and I'm currently being scammed by my old cable internet company from the US that is trying to get money for me not returning equipment even though I did. They aren't getting a penny from me lol

There is a lot more protections here against bad businesses which I really love. I honestly hate the US in that regard, it's so scummy there.

ANYWAYS. THANK YOU GUYS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Seriously you have all helped me so much on here.

Thank you for the well wishes, Tubbs, Azalea, Lee, Percy, everyone! You are all wonderful. ^_^
Old 13th March 2022, 00:15

Said thanks to the bus driver, although the bus was empty but that’s an achievement for me as I haven’t done that before. It did make me anxious.
Old 13th March 2022, 05:35

^ That's really good!
I know it was a major deal to you and as a lot of these little major deals add up, you'll definitely slowly find your confidence growing :D
Old 27th March 2022, 12:52

Speaking up for myself at work.

Yesterday was a waiter for a dinner. I was told to put chocolates on each table by a colleague and just clarified how many I should put in each table.

As I clarified the chef said what my colleague said in a condescending, slow tone. And I told him in front of everyone “I know what to do, I’m not stupid.” It could be seen as teasing but his other brief interactions with me have been critiques as well but more subtle.

So I’m proud of myself for that. I’m starting to notice that some people, not all, in the hotel I work at, are actually bullies but do it in subtle ways. There are good people as well though.
Old 27th March 2022, 19:18

^ yesss! Good on you
Old 5th April 2022, 13:55

Explored a new area of my locality today on a walk. Saw some horses. Saw a magpie on a resting horse, too, which was something you don't see often! Maybe they are pals!

Also, recorded 40 miles worth of walking within the past 7 days, which surprised me.
Old 11th April 2022, 11:58

Mood
Cynical

Went to my Mum's wedding on Saturday, got through the ceremony, spoke a few words to people when we had to stand around outside for photos. Glad it's done now!

Also yesterday I was in Superdrug buying toothpaste where the display had said two for the price of one. But when the young woman put them through the till it came up as full price for both. So I questioned it and she called a colleague over who said yes they were supposed to be buy one get one free and put that into the till. Can't afford to pay more than we need to for things in these times!
Old 11th April 2022, 12:05

^ Well done, Dougella. I bet that's a load off now. Was it all pretty much plain sailing?

Congrats on the toothpaste, too
Old 11th April 2022, 12:48

Mood
Cynical

^ It was, apart from the vicar was a bit.....unusual. He gave the bride and groom a gift of a roll of toilet paper.

Thankyou, it was quite an achievement
Old 11th April 2022, 12:52

Did he offer an explanation? I mean, it has multiple uses, so... yeah, not the worst gift. Did he take it from a pack?
Old 11th April 2022, 14:20

Mood
Cynical

^ Something about items that have been I short supply recently...I didn't really get it. No it was one of those individually wrapped ones
Old 11th April 2022, 14:29

Brilliant! Aw, it's a nice thing. A novelty, holy roll of toilet paper, that you can pop on your bathroom shelf and reflect upon when taking a poo.
Old 11th April 2022, 20:02
Banned at own request

I left the house and went for a walk which is rare for me on my own, every time I walked past someone I looked the other way but it is a small achievement
Old 11th April 2022, 20:13

Mood
Cynical

^ Well done
Old 12th April 2022, 18:01

Mood
Breezy

Well done Dougella and Quietman
Old 13th April 2022, 17:31

Mood
Cynical

Thankyou Percy and Lee S
Old 14th April 2022, 11:33

I suppose a gift of toilet roll is one of the few things that almost everyone might appreciate.
Old 14th April 2022, 12:54

Mood
Cynical

^ Yes
Old 14th April 2022, 18:25
Banned at own request

I went to my local shopping centre, I forgot the schools had broken up and it was mayhem I quickly legged it back home
Old 16th April 2022, 15:02

I had a go at a taxi company on the phone yesterday for trying to change the price after I'd already booked online.
In the end they cancelled on me and I ended up sharing a cab with someone else.
Old 16th April 2022, 20:46

Mood
Cynical

^^ Well done, that's not on.

Thanks Tubbs
Old 20th April 2022, 10:52

Mood
Spaced

Sorry it took ages, but finally added some wedding pics to the photos board for anyone who wanted to see them.
Old 24th April 2022, 11:49

Mood
Alienated

I’m feeling quite intense negative thoughts over the last week or so, so I thought I’d focus on the positives and post on here.

I managed to get abroad and stay in Berlin for a few days. I’ve travelled solo many times now, and really enjoy it. Usually I just keep my head down, don’t really talk to anyone and just get all my food from supermarkets. I did still mostly do that, but did push myself a bit more to do more social things. At one lunchtime, I went and had lunch in a pub (well, Brauhaus!) which was a challenge as they didn’t really speak English. Also ordered a beer in another pub too. Well, I can do this sort of thing fairly easily in the UK, but it adds another level of anxiety doing it in a foreign country (language barrier, cultural differences etc)
I also managed to speak to some Ukrainian refugees which certainly made me feel how real their situation is. They were asking me directions in German, then found out I was English so we had a brief chat about the friends they have in England and where I live etc. I also asked them where they were from. On a side note, it was heartwarming to see all the efforts being made to help Ukrainians in Germany.

Thankfully SA isn’t such a big problem for me anymore, and solo travelling has given me a lot more confidence. I’m not good talking to people, but definitely enjoy doing stuff on my own a lot more. Also, I tend to find going to a large city better for my anxiety than a smaller place - easier to get ‘lost in the crowd’ and be a bit more anonymous.

I’ll also say, during this trip, I felt actually happy for the first time in a very long time. It was a weird feeling.
Old 24th April 2022, 14:06

Mood
Breezy

Well done Tembo
Old 24th April 2022, 15:27

Nice one, Tembo! A very successful trip!

Berlin is on my to-visit list.
Old 24th April 2022, 15:51

Mood
Alienated

Thank you Percy and biscuits.

I’d certainly recommend it - let me know if ever you want any tips if you end up going there. It’s the fourth time I’ve visited the place. Of course, everyone has SA differently but i’d say I felt like I coped more there than anywhere else (well, an isolated nature spot is the best for me, but I mean in terms of busy places) - just because there’s lots of different people there.