SAUK Discussion Board

Go Back   SAUK Discussion Board > Social Anxiety Discussions > Room with a View
Join! Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Notices

Closed Thread  Post New Thread

Old 27th December 2008, 00:07

Default Need to work on the way i look and feel.

Hi, i have not been on this site for a while. I wanted to ask a couple of things. I felt like my SA was quite low at certain points throughout the year. I think alot of this was because around febraury i started to get fit and lost alot of weight, i also spent alot of time outdoors as well (hiking, cycling), and felt much more confidant. Unfortunetly i had a stint in hospital about 5 months ago that along with a new medication the weight is now back on. I wanted to know how much people's appearance and the way they feel about themselves reflects on your SA?

Im planning to get in shape good and proper in 2009. Am i placing to much empshasis on this though?.
Old 27th December 2008, 00:13

Mood
Fine

Default Re: Need to work on the way i look and feel.

If losing weight and getting in shape will make you feel better about yourself, that can only be a good thing, and I'm sure it is likely to help your SA.
Old 27th December 2008, 00:40

Mood
Inspired

I feel better and more confident when i make an effort..wear makeup and curl my hair for school. Time is the only problem, gettin up, eatin and gettin a shower takes up enough time so i usually jst leave out doing whatevr i was gonna do, or just put lipgloss n eyeshadow on, which looks sillyy.
I do believe it really makes a difference though
x
Old 27th December 2008, 00:42

Mood
Chatty

I believe that it is worthwhile, you may feel that appearances shouldn't matter and that happiness comes from within, but in this world I'm afraid it's not true.

I've put on a lot of weight since I've been on my medication, and I feel so much worse because of it, I'm determined to get back into shape, I think it would improve my confidence a lot.

so definitely, go for it, stick to it and you'll feel better when you get there.
Old 27th December 2008, 13:34

Mood
Spaced

feeling a bit fitter does boost my self esteem....
tbh i already do a fair bit of light exercise but i really want to start pushing on a bit in 2009...
and just maybe i might get the shorts out this summer!!
Old 27th December 2008, 13:41

When I feel I look good I feel much more confident. I can still make a mess of a social exchange but at least I start from a position of feeling up rather than down, which gives me a better chance of making an exchange go right.

I'm looking forward to finding some nice clothes over the coming year to replace all the old crap in my drawers. But I'm going to take it slowly and surely and not pressurise myself to find stuff all at once.
Old 5th January 2009, 11:28

Mood
In-Love

I know how you feel. Im not exactly a skinny woman and in the past have got bullied about my size. I wear alot of makeup to make me look more attractive and have just this year started to lose weight again. does anyone know how i can get more brave to not wear so much makeup when going out, even to the shops?
Old 5th January 2009, 17:10

Mood
Predatory

Yeah I think you should always make the most of what you have. Stop obsessing over the things you can't change and do stuff that makes you look the best you can.
The problem is getting the will power to do it every morning.

gaining/loosing weight is a great goal to have for the long term. Try getting a wii fit and take the daily body tests, it monitors your weight everyday and you can see it going up and down.

Try to get a nice trendy hair cut from a proper salon rather than a barber. Get a good cologne. Get a nice pair of shoes and some nice clothes.

After that you will feel much better about yourself and your confidence will increase alot.
Closed Thread