SAUK Discussion Board

Go Back   SAUK Discussion Board > Social Anxiety Discussions > The Social Anxiety Room
Join! Blogs FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

Closed Thread  Post New Thread

Old 15th January 2011, 15:54

Mood
Spaced

Default Re: The Autism-Spectrum Quotient (AQ) Test

I got 42 last time I took it.

I've been trying to get assessed/diagnosed for nearly 3 years now
Old 15th January 2011, 17:23
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cynic
Maybe not, but whatever they say is accepted as gospel regardless of what evidence - or lack of. When someone outranks you in the social hierarchy their word is the law, and any evidence to contradict their word is ignored.

What's the difference between AS and HFA?
'Their' is far too nebulous a concept. I know what you mean about people thinking they socially outrank us but if we refuse to acknowledge this it has no meaning.

Also, if you're refusing to take part in social interaction it's all the more meaningless - you can't outrank a person who's not even taking part in the game.

http://www.wrongplanet.net/postt61103.html

There's no consensus of agreement re whether AS and HFA are basically the same thing or slightly different. One definition is that HFA people aren't looking to make friends and are happy with their own company whereas people with AS want friends and social interaction but just can't get it right.

Every so often I will make an attempt at joining some group or other and I try to make new friends every so often but my partner doesn't do any of this stuff - he's happy to have just me as company.
Old 15th January 2011, 17:42

Agree: 2,4,5,13,20,41,46: 1 point
Disagree: 11,14,15,24,28,30,31,32,37,38,47,48: 1 point
Score: 19

I do have a good imagination, and daydream about stuff a hell of a lot, creating little stories in my head. But, once I've got over my shyness with people, I find talking easy. I do prefer the company of others rather than myself most of the time.

I often feel it's just my shyness that hold me back really, in everything.
Old 15th January 2011, 17:43
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by becky1789
Agree: 2,4,5,13,20,41,46: 1 point
Disagree: 11,14,15,24,28,30,31,32,37,38,47,48: 1 point
Score: 19

I do have a good imagination, and daydream about stuff a hell of a lot, creating little stories in my head. But, once I've got over my shyness with people, I find talking easy. I do prefer the company of others rather than myself most of the time.

I often feel it's just my shyness that hold me back really, in everything.
No surprises there. I already had you down as rather neurotypical.
Old 15th January 2011, 17:52
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by kastra
I got 42 last time I took it.

I've been trying to get assessed/diagnosed for nearly 3 years now
You could try contacting the person who runs this service in Birmingham to see if they can offer any advice re. getting a diagnosis.

http://www.autism.org.uk/en-GB/direc...ces/12260.aspx
Old 15th January 2011, 17:54

Quote:
Originally Posted by nessa456
No surprises there. I already had you down as rather neurotypical.
I think it's fair to say I am quite normal in that regard, at least when I'm not feeling over-nervous or over-shy.

You do seem very bitter about this.
Old 15th January 2011, 17:54

Mood
Spaced

as far as I know I need to go to a place in Leicester as everywhere in Birmingham is child & adolescent or severe learning disability focused, I've just requested the process be started up again so hopefully I'll sort something out. Leicester is almost more convenient for me anyway because I was told my parents would need to be involved in the process and that's where they live.
Old 15th January 2011, 17:56
Banned

Quote:
as far as I know I need to go to a place in Leicester as everywhere in Birmingham is child & adolescent or severe learning disability focused, I've just requested the process be started up again so hopefully I'll sort something out. Leicester is almost more convenient for me anyway because I was told my parents would need to be involved in the process and that's where they live.
I see.

Let me know how you get on as my partner is looking to get a diagnosis.
Old 15th January 2011, 18:01
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by becky1789
I think it's fair to say I am quite normal in that regard, at least when I'm not feeling over-nervous or over-shy.

You do seem very bitter about this.
Lol!

Bitter?

What gives you that impression? Because I'm not as fantastically normal as you??

I think you are a bit p-ed off that I caught you out when you stated that 'exceptionally weird' people aren't likely to be liked; when I asked you to define 'exceptionally weird' you got all flustered and couldn't give a straight answer - probably because it suddenly dawned on you that a fair number of people on here have probably had similar crashingly unoriginal epithets applied to them by people like yourself over their lifetimes.

I just 'outed' you and you don't like it basically.

You dug the hole not me.

I'd have steered well clear of this thread if I were you...
Old 15th January 2011, 18:17

I got 11. It would have been lower if I didn't have SA.
Old 15th January 2011, 18:26
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Godfather
I got 11. It would have been lower if I didn't have SA.
Fits right in with your overtly NT avatar
Old 15th January 2011, 18:32

Mood
Spaced

lol since when is south park 'overtly NT'?

I think maybes it'd be helpful to chill with the 'us vs them' stuff, it comes off as quite angry. I've had more than my share of shit for not being 'normal' but the whole world doesn't work like that and there are plenty of decent people with and without ASDs.
Old 15th January 2011, 18:39
Co-Administrator

Mood
Dreaming

Agree: 4,12,13,21,22,26,33,43,46: 1 point
Disagree: 11,15,17,24,36,38,44,47,49: 1 point
Score: 18
Old 15th January 2011, 18:47

Mood
Creative

Agree: 4,5,6,7,9,12,13,16,18,21,22,23,26,33,39,41,43,46: 1 point
Disagree: 1,10,11,15,17,24,25,30,37,38,44,47: 1 point
Score: 30

close but not close enough, I think SA applies to most of those questions though
Old 15th January 2011, 19:21

Agree: 4,5,6,7,12,22,23,26,45,46: 1 point
Disagree: 1,10,11,15,17,24,25,31,32,36,37,38,44,47: 1 point
Score: 24

I think I was screened for Aspergers in my teens so I was pretty sure I didn't have it anyway, even though I do have some AS traits most of my problems with interacting with others are due to SA.

What's the difference between AS and HFA?
Old 15th January 2011, 19:30
Banned

Quote:
lol since when is south park 'overtly NT'?

I think maybes it'd be helpful to chill with the 'us vs them' stuff, it comes off as quite angry. I've had more than my share of shit for not being 'normal' but the whole world doesn't work like that and there are plenty of decent people with and without ASDs.
I meant the specific character in the avatar ie Cartman:-

"One of the original four main boys, who is an obese, manipulative, and ill-tempered bigot, often portrayed as the series' main antagonist"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of..._in_South_Park

I don't know about your experiences with NTs but he's pretty typical of the worst kind in my opinion.

If there's one word I cannot stand it's 'chill' - it's not condusive to my personality type at all. Without a certain level of anger I wouldn't still be alive so I do not see anger as a totally negative trait.

I find it interesting that while we both score above 32, we have far less in common than myself and people on here with lower scores; same with me and Cynic. So it's not the aspieness per se that gives common ground, it's a person's general worldview.
Old 15th January 2011, 19:40
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cynic
Aspiness has never united anyone. I've met plenty of Aspies and had very little in common with many of them. I do still think that I share some common ground with you, if maybe just not to the same extremes.

You have given off that impression by assuming me thinking that I'm "too good" for "lower caste" folk. I AM lower caste fs.

Have you ever considered joining the polis? You would be really good at 'zero tolerance'.
I have met a number of aspies and have a lot of common ground with some of them - I have 3 aspie friends as well as my partner.

The phrase 'lower caste' was meant to be scathing sarcasm, not bitterness.
I know I'm not lower caste so it's hardly me feeling beneath you is it? I was satirizing your seemingly superior attitude using hyperbole (look it up on google!). I am prepared to concede that I may have judged you a little hastily though - that's what I often do though as I have had to build up a defensive strategy to survive.

A far as the police goes - I certainly like the idea of bringing people to justice and I'd be brilliant at doing all the paperwork correctly but I don't have the people skills or mental robustness for it. I have an aspie friend who is in the police (not sure if he's still in them though as he had a lot of problems).

My Dad always used to say I'd make an excellent traffic warden lol

I will admit to having an authoritarian streak.

(Got to log off now as partner wants the bandwidth to play 'Battlefield Bad Company 2' )
Old 15th January 2011, 20:02

Agree: 9,12,16,22,26,43,46: 1 point
Disagree: 1,10,11,15,28,30,34,36,38,40: 1 point
Score: 17
Old 15th January 2011, 21:04

Mood
Dreaming

Old 15th January 2011, 21:59

I get the impression my score would have been a lot higher if I'd said I hate social interaction, which I don't anymore.
Old 15th January 2011, 22:16

I got 34, although there were a few questions that I would have liked to have given a neutral response, neither agree nor disagree, and some of the questions seemed a bit broad - I like social interaction in some situations, not in others for example.
Old 15th January 2011, 22:36

Mood
Devilish

I scored 20. Looks like I scored slightly above average. Does this mean I have slight symptoms of AS.
Old 15th January 2011, 23:41

Mood
Crappy

24. It's worrying there are people on here who score 10 and under and consider themselves with social anxiety...wtf??
Old 16th January 2011, 00:03

Mood
Mellow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phool
34!! :yikes: I'm going out will look into this properly later.
OK done my homework. Read the wiki stuff on various disorders on the autism spectrum and looked at the national autism site and couldn't relate to any of it other than symptoms which are SA related.

Then it got me thinking about a disorder my shrink diagnosed me with 3 years ago but I put to one side because I was dealing with the basic stuff like depression and SA. And also because I find it embarrassing to say out loud but she diagnosed me as having gifted child syndrome and arrested development. There said it.

OK so having read up on that I feel much better. It does not mean that we are super brainy, it means we have a higher than normal aptitude for learning, pick things up quickly, need to constantly learn new things. Usually leading to a sense of frustration and if not diagnosed in childhood then arrested development.

The symptoms of the syndrome are hyperactivity, hypersensitivity, isolation, depression, perfectionism and a constant sense of underachievement. A lot of people on SAUK seem to exhibit these things so maybe need to google 'giftedness' and 'multiple intelligences'.

Also an interesting bit of research on american uni students showed that it was more prevalent amongst asian students, which in america refers to the chinese, japanese and other oriental groups as well as people from the indian sub continent who we generally refer to as asian in the uk. Thought this was interesting in terms me how well china, india, japan and south korea are doing economically.

Nessa - I want to thank you for starting this thread because it has made me go back to something I had pushed to the back of my mind as unimportant and am now going to do more research on.
Old 16th January 2011, 11:30
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinderella
24. It's worrying there are people on here who score 10 and under and consider themselves with social anxiety...wtf??
Lol I know

I think there are two basic camps of people with SA

1. People who are more or less fully functioning out in society yet on ocasions get social anxiety which without doubt has a very bad effect on them. Nevertheless, take away the SA and they're fully functioning - can do anything - parties, group banter you name it. This kind of SA is often coming from within ie self-generated and not from others.

In other words take away the SA and their problems interacting are over.

2. People who are not coping with life full stop very well, let alone the SA.
They don't fit in socially as they often get rejected and they feel alienated from society as a result. This kind of SA is often 'other-generated' ie other people are rejecting and judging of these types of peope hence they start fearing social interaction, with obvious reason!

The SA isn't an add-on to these peoples' normally-functioning lives, it's their complete way of life; it defines
practically all their interactions and it's symptomatic of not being fully functioning even if the SA vanished overnight
ie an interaction can still not go well or 'averagely' even if a person has no social fear during it.
It indicates that Social Anxiety is too nebulous a term to cover all the greatly varying versions of it.

I'm in camp 2 definitely. I would suspect those with low scores (from 1 to mid 20s?) on the test are in camp 1.

Obviously this isn't a catch-all theory but it is an attempt to explain the paradox of low scorers still having SA.
Old 16th January 2011, 11:34
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by HaveANiceDay
There are only about 12 questions out of the 50 which would fit a stereotypical SA person; the rest have nothing obvious to do with SA, for example "I like to collect information about categories of things (e.g., types of cars, birds, trains, plants)."
Yes, because it's a test to see how many autistic traits a person has, not for SA.

The SA can sometimes mask the fact that a person is on the autistic spectrum.

Let me guess, you scored pretty low?
Old 16th January 2011, 13:23

17 here, just slow with a predominantly female brain. Damn!
Old 16th January 2011, 15:23

Mood
Mellow

Quote:
Originally Posted by i_like_mittens
Online tests can be misleading...
I agree with this. I think everyone needs to be a bit careful about self-diagnosing or diagnosing others. I personally would prefer to let a professional shrink meet me, talk to me and spend time observing me to diagnose me. I only mentioned the 'giftedness' thing because it's something my shrink pointed out to me rather than the other way around.
Old 16th January 2011, 19:09

Mood
Spaced

Cynic that's the rules of the playground not real life. I think you get confused about that sometimes.

Most people manage to grow up eventually.
Old 16th January 2011, 20:46

Mood
Fine

Agree: 2,4,7,12,16,21,22,26,33,42,45,46: 1 point
Disagree: 1,3,10,11,14,15,17,24,25,27,28,29,30,32,36,37,38,4 7,48,49,50: 1 point
Score: 33

I must admit, I often feel there's more to my problems than just SA, as I tend to find I have the same difficulties whether I'm feeling any anxiety or not. Whatever the case, I think I certainly fit into "camp 2".
Closed Thread