SAUK Discussion Board

Go Back   SAUK Discussion Board > Social Anxiety Discussions > The Social Anxiety Room
Join! Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Notices

Reply  Post New Thread

Old 25th November 2011, 15:23

Default Is there a point where giving up is just the way to go?

It seems like the harder I try to turn my life around the more disappointed I end up when things don't work out. So is it ever ok to just accept that being social isn't for you, stay at home, eat what you want, get fat and try and be content in your own little bubble?

I was kind of joking but actually a lifetime of distracting myself with books and flickering screens doesn't sound as bad as a lifetime of rejection…
Old 25th November 2011, 15:30

Default Re: Is there a point where giving up is just the way to go?

I know how you feel. Life for me seems to be forever a disappointment and what doesn't help is when the rest of my family keep reminding me. They are very judgemental so I too often just want to hide in my own bubble. My plan in life - find some deserted island, away from people so I can just be myself.

Sorry, I know this isn't really advice.
Old 25th November 2011, 15:45

Mood
Balanced

Quote:
Originally Posted by PRH1987
So is it ever ok to just accept that being social isn't for you, stay at home, eat what you want, get fat and try and be content in your own little bubble?
I think this is hard to accept. I know so many occasions where I have rejected a chance to be social and then regretted it.
Old 25th November 2011, 15:45

It's cool, I'm not really asking for advice, was just interested in hearing some thoughts. Oddly enough I've actually been feeling quite positive this week, dont know why I decided to post something so overwhelmingly miserable. I think I've got another couple of years of trying left in me anyway…
Old 25th November 2011, 17:43

Quote:
Originally Posted by PRH1987
So is it ever ok to just accept that being social isn't for you, stay at home, eat what you want, get fat and try and be content in your own little bubble?
This is pretty much what I do.
I am trying hard not to get fat, but apart from that.
Looking at it objectively, I do think that it is ok to accept that being social isn't for you. It's a fine line for me whether the effort it takes to be social is worth the bother. I try it now and again, but the only time I truly enjoy myself is during those minutes of relief after I have gotten home again, shut the door and am breathing in the peace and isolation, lol.
That said, living alone on your own and hardly venturing out, is probably not a good idea and will likely lead to depression (it does for me at times).
Old 25th November 2011, 18:10

Location: I grew up in sunny Cardiff and moved to Exeter in 2004.

Ive come to accept that i most probably will always have extreme shyness and social anxiety will always be my invisible siamese twin, stuck to my side trying to drag me down. But i think i can still live a happy life and the way to do that is to continue to fight the anxiety, continue to live as positvely as you can each day. For me, life with social anxiety is a continues rollercoaster, with lots of very dark low points but also lots of highs too. The lows are never nice but i get through them knowing that ill be on the up again soon, and the more proactive i am in getting there the faster it will come. Having to live through such horrible low points only makes the good times better.

What ive come to realise is that happiness can be found in the now. If im feeling down there are things i can do that will make me feel happy, such as excercise, eating healthy food and avoiding junk food or over eating. I also like to go out on weekends for drinks with friends; im lucky to have made a few friends over the last couple of years, some who also have SA and some who dont. When youre feeling depressed its hard to get the motivation but you have to push yourself and take little positive steps.

But i also know that there will always be things in life id love to do but will never experience without feeling anxious. Some of those things ill avoid all my life, but others ill face up to and hope that the joy i get from it will out-weigh the anxiety.

If i have to accept happiness in lesser things than others then thats a sacrifice im prepared to take. The fact is i do have social anxiety and it is a real problem and no matter how much i moan about it or how much time i spend on sauk, it wont just leave me. Id rather choose to be happy with SA than not.
Old 25th November 2011, 18:30

Mood
Spaced

I don't think 'giving up' is ever a useful thing to do, but accepting your situation and being a bit more zen about the whole thing is a good idea imo. 'Recovery' can become such a massive thing that seems so far away and impossible that sometimes it is better to just think about small changes and being happy with yourself.
Old 30th December 2011, 17:39

I already do what you've described, apart from the getting fat bit.
Old 31st December 2011, 00:39

Mood
Alienated

im starting to feel like this in some ways

mostly the social aspect

..i dont think im built to be social, when i Am social it bores me after a while and i want to run back to my own little bubble, it seems more hassle than its worth...this is why i think im different to a fair few people on here...a lot of you long to be social and have friends and not be alone...yet i have a Few oppourtunitys to be social (ive been out and about today infact) ...im absolutely shattered have nothing exactly positive to say about it even though it was "fine" it all just seems a waste of time, i mean i guess if i didnt have a friend i wouldnt have left the house and i would have got bored sat here alone..but i dont know what else im suppose to think when 20min after leaving the house i feel myself getting tired and want to be back in my room alone