SAUK Discussion Board

Go Back   SAUK Discussion Board > Social Anxiety Discussions > Welcome & Introductions Room
Join! Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Notices

Reply  Post New Thread

Old 1st December 2023, 12:21

Default Hello SA my old friend...

(oof cheesy thread title! I couldn't help it! It helps if you sing it instead of saying it)

It's not my first time on the board, but I decided that making a fresh start felt more apt than trying to dig up the account from 15 years ago.

I'm an AuDHD person at the end of my thirties, living in London, in a relationship that has through circumstance become long-distance for most of the time. I'm finding that trying to recover an independent social life still comes with the same old SA barrier, in spite of my attitude around it having mellowed.

I recently went to a museum lates meetup. I found the group, all wearing stickers. They were chatting in their groups. I just couldn't find a way 'in'. The venue had a bar and DJ, so the loud music made it impossible to hear anyone's conversation unless you were in each other's ears. So you can't gradually merge into a chat, you have to butt in and introduce yourself to strangers by shouting in their ears.

This got me thinking about how this hopeless situation should be avoidable nowadays. We have a modern vernacular to describe neurodiversity and inclusivity. You can ask for reasonable adjustments at job interviews. You can organise meetups that make a conscious effort to accommodate certain barriers. I remembered SAUK. Thought it would be nice to see how the dialogue around social anxiety has adapted.
Old 1st December 2023, 16:47

Mood
Cynical

Default Re: Hello SA my old friend...

Welcome (back) to the forum Entangled
Old 1st December 2023, 17:35

Hello
Also audhd
Old 1st December 2023, 18:31

Hi Entangled

Welcome back to the forum! I hope you find this site helpful.
Old 4th December 2023, 14:58

Welcome back
Old 7th December 2023, 14:47
Co-Administrator

Mood
Nerdy

Welcome back Entangled, from a fellow AuDHD person. Great intro. You're far braver than I am - I'm basically a shut-in these days (although I plan to change this next year when I move to a different area). Much respect for putting yourself out there with this condition.