SAUK Discussion Board

Go Back   SAUK Discussion Board > Social Anxiety Discussions > Welcome & Introductions Room
Join! Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Notices

Reply  Post New Thread

Old 6th January 2024, 12:16

Default New here!

Hello everyone... New Year and I've found myself here, I'm hoping it might be good for me to connect with people who just... get it.

My anxiety started very young I believe due to trauma. I really noticed it ramp up in my transition to high school so I ended up leaving at 14 and hid away piling weight on... Fast forward 13 years I was a recluse, almost 26 stone with depression, zero self confidence, crippling social anxiety, no friends or any form of social life. I thought my weight was holding me back so I had weight loss surgery and I've lost 14+ stone which I am chuffed about BUT everything else is still the same, I still cannot shake this social anxiety, it really is all in the head. I am so isolated... I want to work, I want to learn to drive, I want so badly to find my tribe of friends and enjoy going out but even the thought of putting myself in these situations is exhausting, especially with people who may not understand. I struggle to pick up on social cues immediately, it's usually hours later when I'm re-living or overthinking a conversation in my head lol.

Anyway... hopefully I'll fit right in here and I'll speak to some of you soon
Old 6th January 2024, 15:15

Default Re: New here!

Hi Moon Flower

Happy New Year and welcome to the forum! That's very impressive with the weight loss! I lost about 5 stone a few decades ago. And like yourself, my outward appearance had changed but my SA hadn't. In fact, it's only fairly recently that I am starting to address my SA through journaling. So it's an ongoing battle as it were. And one that I hope we will all win eventually! Or another way of putting it, I hope you find this site helpful!
Old 6th January 2024, 15:19

to the forum
Old 6th January 2024, 16:32

Mood
Cynical

Welcome Moon_Flower
Old 9th January 2024, 19:05
Co-Administrator

Mood
Nerdy

Welcome, Moon Flower Great intro, and really relatable to me because I also deal with a lot of trauma stemming from my teens and childhood (which has largely gone unaddressed over the years). I'm also currently trying to lose a lot of weight. 14 stone, wow, that's an incredible achievement by any metric - well done!!
Old 9th January 2024, 20:31

Mood
Pensive

Hello Moon Flower.

Cracking achievement losing all that weight, but I get where you are coming from. I lost 7 stone once and felt much better physically, but not much different mentally.

I have found though that my SA has got easier as I have got older, so hope yours does too.
Old 10th January 2024, 02:21

Welcome Moon Flower
Old 11th January 2024, 17:00

Welcome Moon Flower!