SAUK Discussion Board

Go Back   SAUK Discussion Board > Social Anxiety Discussions > Other Issues and Conditions
Join! Blogs FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

Reply  Post New Thread

Old 14th December 2017, 10:41
Banned at own request

Mood
Doubtful

Default Little point in going in for ASD assessment?

#asd Went over history with mental health nurse today. Mentioned issue of autistic traits. She said she could certainly get me an assessment but after that ,if diagnosed, there wasn’t much help for adults in the area. Seems to be little point in pressing for an assessment?
Old 14th December 2017, 11:39

Mood
Cynical

Default Re: Little point in going in for ASD assessment?

I think it would still be worth getting the assessment if it's offered. It might help medical staff understand you better in the future, it might confirm what you've suspected for a long time and also the nurse might be wrong and there could be more help available than she thinks!
Old 14th December 2017, 12:35
Banned at own request

Mood
Doubtful

The thing is I***8217;m as certain as can be I***8217;m neurodiverse ,but less certain that I am on the spectrum. Having said that I do score above the threshold on various tests online for asd. I see myself as probably being more nvld(there is an ongoing debate whether that belongs on the spectrum) . My primary problem is socially. I have always struggled with social interaction. I am reckoned to have very poor social skills. I recently found what I***8217;d always thought of as a friend from prep school on twitter. He blocked me. Over 60 years I have had less than a handful of friends.

I also have never worked. As well as the ASD/NVLD there is probable dyspraxia and learning difficulties I am one of those who fits a ***8216;spiky***8217; profile with much higher verbal than non verbal ability.

It would be good to get official confirmation that there is a reason why I am as I am, if only to kick years of being accused of being awkward/demanding/troublesome/passive aggressive etc into touch . And yet I am scared that even that won***8217;t happen. I***8217;ll go for an assessment and be told it all relates to my psychiatric diagnosis. I***8217;ve spent so many years with my problems being ignored, because everything has been seem through the filter of a psych diagnosis, that I***8217;m scared any assessment will just end up going down that line, although I***8217;m intelligent enough to know for certain there has always been more going on.
Old 15th December 2017, 11:58
Banned at own request

Mood
Doubtful

I guess I'm scared of what may be an all or nothing throw of the dice. That they decide I'm not ASD(which would be fair enough) but in doing so it shuts down any attempt to find out why and how I'm neurodiverse, and the difficulties I have.
That I'm basically left having shot my bolt with no other bolts to shoot.
Old 15th December 2017, 12:59

Mood
Cynical

I understand your fears. I would hope that whoever does your assessment is experienced enough to be able to look beyond your existing diagnosis and assess you as a whole and even suggest other things if they feel that you don't fit an ASD diagnosis. But you just never know until you do it I suppose.
Old 22nd December 2017, 04:45

If they are happy to access you and you don't mind attending the appointment I think it might be a good idea to arrange it.

It may also help to support your case with attention, help/support you may require in the future or any medical assessments you may need to attend.

Good luck with whatever you decide to do.