SAUK Discussion Board

Go Back   SAUK Discussion Board > Social Anxiety Discussions > Other Issues and Conditions
Join! Blogs FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

Reply  Post New Thread

Old 27th August 2019, 14:12
Banned at own request

Mood
Doubtful

Default Ecotherapy: why plants are the latest treatment for depression and anxiety

Quote:
The combination of physical activity, social contact and being surrounded by nature is thought to make gardening beneficial for our mental health.

https://www.theguardian.com/lifeands...ession-anxiety
Old 27th August 2019, 14:27

Mood
Cynical

Default Re: Ecotherapy: why plants are the latest treatment for depression and anxiety

I think this is very true and giving people the opportunity to take part in community gardening projects etc is a really good idea. It's also more evidence of how important it is that people have access to green spaces like parks in cities and very build up areas.
Old 27th August 2019, 16:10
Banned at own request

Mood
Doubtful

Default Re: Ecotherapy: why plants are the latest treatment for depression and anxiety

I did a gardening group at an allotment as one of the groups I did while a service user at the the then local mental health day centre. I had next to zero horticultural skills , and was mainly the one that did the watering .

I stopped going when it was decided we had to make our own way to the allotment. (1) I got anxious about opening the padlock to get into the allotment area and then closing it again (2) There were quite a lot of plots and I would have had difficulty navigating my way to the right one on my own.
Old 27th August 2019, 16:48

Mood
Cynical

Watering is one of the most important jobs, it keeps the plants alive!

I do thing making things like this accessible is an important point. Lots of people who might benefit from this type of thing might need assistance getting to a place to do it or adaptions for them to be able to physically take part.