SAUK Discussion Board

Go Back   SAUK Discussion Board > Social Anxiety Discussions > The Social Anxiety Room
Join! Blogs FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

Reply  Post New Thread

Old 27th April 2018, 18:19

Default Group therapy for personality disorders, where?

Does anyone know of any group therapies for this? Specifically for Avoidant personality disorder? Ideally Sussex, any info would help, thank you (it's ok to pm)
Old 4th May 2018, 19:31

Default Re: Group therapy for personality disorders, where?

I doubt they would exist as it's not a thing people would make groups for much, I reckon you're better off just going to anxiety meets which we have on here and on meetup.com and make it work for you.

The only other thing I could suggest is join AVPD online groups and meet people from them. Obviously stay safe and all that.
Old 8th May 2018, 10:24

Mood
Mellow

I went to a group in London for SA - having read the wiki of AVPD I guess there is quite a lot of overlap between these things and I identify with a lot of it. There are some on meetup but these are always sold out!

Not sure if that's too far, but you might find it beneficial.
Old 8th May 2018, 13:32

This might sound like a joke, but i wouldn't be surprised if they have tried group therapy for AVPD, but nobody showed up

I think most people with any mental difficulty in the uk are lumped into doing CBT either 1 on 1 or in a group. although with the groups they say its based on CBT i think, but its basically the same thing.
might want to also look into DBT ("Dialectical behaviour therapy is a type of talking treatment. It's based on cognitive behavioural therapy (CBT), but has been adapted to help people who experience emotions very intensely.")
although its based on cbt too, it sounded pretty good when i was talking to a mental health professional about it last year.
Old 8th May 2018, 22:19

Hey guys, thank you for your replies,
I started looking into this disorder as it is the only other condition known to me that I relate to and there are things about SAD that I don't. I read somewhere that one of the best treatments for AvPD actually is a group therapy, it has to be intense, over a few continuous days and, obviously, requires a very high level of personal dedication, and the results are remarkable. However, despite me normally taking screenshots of everything I can't find this info anymore, I suspect it wasn't even in the Uk, so I just thought I'll ask here,

@Lady Kvlt, thank you for your reply, I guess online is an option, but I don't like anything "online" so maybe it's not for me, I meant groups as in real treatment groups, that people might have come across, not the likeminded meetup groups, if that makes sense,
@snoo, you mention there are such groups on meetup, (sold out?!) I will look out for those and London as location is ok, so thank you
@ekul, I've seen DBT mentioned as one of the best treatments too, but there are hardly any therapists doing it when I filtered it. And yes, I can see your joke being a reality, perhaps that's why they should charge upfront with a deposit on top

Anyway, I have done all the online tests and according to those, I don't score high enough to have this disorder, so I don't know anymore...I know it's not a great idea to self diagnose, but I can't help it as I think I know myself best.
Old 8th May 2018, 22:29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ekul
This might sound like a joke, but i wouldn't be surprised if they have tried group therapy for AVPD, but nobody showed up
Who let the lols out?

That made me giggle.

I used to go to a confidence group and got told that I come across as very confident. (What?) we had to carry out assertiveness activities, eye contact and talked about strategies we can use. In the first session we had to write down what our biggest fear was - I wrote down singing in front of people. On the last session the lady running it was like..and now we are all going to give our biggest fears a go. So I had to sing in front of them all. Criiiiiiiinge.

This was at uni. You could email MIND to see if they know of any workshops or groups locally to you? I used to have a directory of places all around the country. I’m in bed now but I’ll try and get it off my laptop for you tomorrow.
Old 8th May 2018, 22:42

^ that confidence group, ermm I'd be the first to cringe, and roll my eyes too, but this is exactly what I'm trying to change, although, thanks for the heads up, if I ever go to such group, I'll choose my biggest fear wisely

Never thought about emailing MIND, thank you.
Old 9th May 2018, 00:29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thousandmiles

@ekul, I've seen DBT mentioned as one of the best treatments too, but there are hardly any therapists doing it when I filtered it. And yes, I can see your joke being a reality, perhaps that's why they should charge upfront with a deposit on top

If it was me i'd still be like "you are a worthy sacrifice monieeees, i bid thee farewell, enjoy your journeys"
i think the only way i could go is if the alternative was even worse.

Quote:
Originally Posted by biscuits
Who let the lols out?

That made me giggle.

I used to go to a confidence group and got told that I come across as very confident. (What?) we had to carry out assertiveness activities, eye contact and talked about strategies we can use. In the first session we had to write down what our biggest fear was - I wrote down singing in front of people. On the last session the lady running it was like..and now we are all going to give our biggest fears a go. So I had to sing in front of them all. Criiiiiiiinge.
woof, woof, woof, woof, woof!.. or wait, should it be laughs instead?
...mmm, nope i just tried it, it just sounds like im laughing really sarcastically
woofs it is!

Mother of god.. i would *literally* die if i was put on the spot to sing in front of a room of people. It's a good warning to the rest of us though, if you are ever posed with the question of what your biggest fear is, always always answer something like playing with a cute as hell puppy

i wonder if someone had put down "being waterboarded", would the person running it have brought in a bucket of water on the last day?

Anyway, how did you feel after singing in front of them? do you think it did you any good?
Old 16th May 2018, 06:37

^ haha I know! I should have been like, “for me...it’s sharpening pencils in front of other people!”

Damn me and my honesty. I can’t lie unless it’s for a joke. The discomfort on my face gives it away, so I don’t bother.

——/——-/————/—- (hope this isn’t morse code for anything!)

Sorry for being a forgetful narna, Thousandmiles! :/ I’m not sure if any of these are useful? You can also ask your GP if they know of any groups

https://www.mind.org.uk/information-...-south/#surrey

You can also refer yourself online
https://www.sussexcommunity.nhs.uk/s...ectoryID=16358

https://www.eastsussex1space.co.uk/S...081/Anxiety-UK

https://www.eastsussex1space.co.uk/S...ultsPerPage=15

https://www.eastsussex1space.co.uk/S...th-in-Mind-HiM

https://crawley.westsussexwellbeing....d/time-to-talk

Hope it helps :]+:
Old 16th May 2018, 06:38

[Ah..phewf..it posted. Bloomin sauk sign me out after I clicked ‘quick reply’ and I thought the post had gone.]
Old 16th May 2018, 18:34

Thank you so much, biscuits!
Old 16th May 2018, 18:51

No problem but I just realised that you were looking for avoidant personality groups. Sorry if I’ve wasted your time and got your hopes up, but there will more than likely be some avoidance in people with anxiety depression, so hopefully there will be people who you can relate to. :]
Old 16th May 2018, 19:33

Haha, my hopes are up all the time, I am forever and ever the optimist
But seriously, it doesn't matter what kind of groups are these, I will check everything, and I might not even have the conditions I think I have, I am just looking, exploring and getting to the bottom of it, and your links are very much appreciated!