SAUK Discussion Board

Go Back   SAUK Discussion Board > Social Anxiety Discussions > Welcome & Introductions Room
Join! Blogs FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

Reply  Post New Thread

Old 8th November 2020, 20:45

Question Looking for advice

Hi everyone, I've just found SAUK and would love some advice/support.

I'm at college and I'm finding it increasingly difficult to be in a classroom environment. Just sitting makes me uncomfortable.
However, when I have to speak (which I try to avoid as much as possible) I have very physical symptoms. My heart beat increases and becomes stronger, my breathing changes, my hands shake, I start to sweat and become extremely self conscious and aware.

I've found this is even the case when we have to do group work outside of college via Zoom, I have these same symptoms in my own bedroom when I know I have to share my answers. This is very stressful and often results in a headache.

Any advice or tips would be massively appreciated!

Thanks for reading,
Rosa.
Old 8th November 2020, 21:24

Default Re: Looking for advice

Hi, Rosa, and welcome

Those symptoms are classic situational anxiety, and it sounds like you're verging on panic. Do you suffer panic attacks?

You're probably best off going to see your doctor and they'll probably prescribe beta-blockers for it. Otherwise, and for the time being, maybe try cutting out caffeine and sugary foods - exercise and sleep help too.
Old 9th November 2020, 09:26

Thank you for your response and advice.

I don’t think I’ve ever had a panic attack but I do feel panicked when I have the symptoms. I have been to the doctors before but maybe didn’t explain the symptoms too well so I should maybe try again!

Thanks again, Rosa.
Old 9th November 2020, 10:44

Mood
Bored

Yes, try the Doctor and maybe ask if you could try CBT or talking therapies , before medications, take care.
Old 9th November 2020, 14:22
Global Moderator

Mood
Cold

I think you could really benefit from CBT/talking therapies, but I don't see the harm in trying something like beta-blockers to help calm the physical responses too if they're offered. Probably best, to chat with your GP as the others have said and write everything down beforehand if it helps.

And welcome to the forum
Old 9th November 2020, 21:46

Thank you for your responses.
I’ll make an appointment and see what happens! I think writing things down is a good idea so nothing gets forgotten.