SAUK Discussion Board

Go Back   SAUK Discussion Board > Social Anxiety Discussions > The Social Anxiety Room
Join! Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Notices

Reply  Post New Thread

Old 22nd October 2019, 07:50

Default Social Skills Training

Hi All!

Does anyone know of a course or webinar or training specifically relating to social skills?

As a SAD sufferer for over 15 years I feel like I've lost any social skills I had and need to re-learn the art of engaging with people, in particular making small talk, meeting and greeting people and asserting myself in conversations.

I've completed various therapy programmes but none of them deal specifically with social / communication skills and as a result, I always feel like I'm taking 1 step forward and 2 steps back.

Any help or advice would be much appreciated!
Old 22nd October 2019, 22:15

Default Re: Social Skills Training

Quote:
Originally Posted by wittness87
Hi All!
re-learn the art of engaging with people, in particular making small talk, meeting and greeting people and asserting myself in conversations.
Hi,

I'd be very much interested in such a course. All the skills you mentioned are exactly things I'm trying to improve as well.

Keep in the loop please if you do find something?

I highly recommend meetup.com to meet people and chat. You can join a group of people who have the same interest as you. I've joined a few language groups, but haven't got round to try yet.

I'm fortunate enough that I live in a city where there is a fairly active social anxiety group. When I hit rock bottom and wanted to tackle my SA, I started with them, as feeling safe from judgement was paramount for me. I'm so glad I did. Before that first meeting, I couldn't look people in the eyes to say hello, and I would go past someone I knew without saying hello because I had so little self-esteem and was so sure they would rather ignore me.

I'm not saying it was easy. The first couple of meetups were amazing because for once in my life I knew there was no taboo, and that was so liberating.
But then the old fears kicked in (the fears that have always kept me from relating to others and building friendships) but at least it was safe enough to keep me going. It's the only sort of group where you can leave the event suddenly without any explanation and without saying goodbye, and still people will understand and be sympathetic