SAUK Discussion Board

Go Back   SAUK Discussion Board > Social Anxiety Discussions > The Social Anxiety Room
Join! Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Notices

Reply  Post New Thread

Old 22nd October 2019, 23:35

Default Do you over-share?

Deleted
Old 23rd October 2019, 21:35

Default Re: Do you over-share?

Yes I do that too Bertignac. I've just finished a relationship and my neighbour came up to me and asked how my girlfriend was. I said we'd split up and then I proceeded to explain my girlfriends faults to him, while he was almost defending her to me! After he'd gone I thought "why the hell did you tell him that?" It's none of his business. I still think a lot of my ex and not much of him so why did I do that, I was so angry with myself. I have always done that, over familiarity with people too, that comes across as massive cockiness.

And I've done the accidental insulting thing that you said biscuit. I think it's the result of extreme nerves that mess up your train of thought, if not stop it completely. And your social skill goes into fight or flight mode, too much or too little.
Old 25th October 2019, 09:54

this sounds like a normal conversation, I think you're just overthinking/overplaying it.
Old 25th October 2019, 10:38

Definitely, and being overfamiliar. It's mostly not a problem except I often forget to filter myself in terms of asking people things they might not be comfortable answering, just because I wouldn't mind answering.
Old 25th October 2019, 14:55

Mood
Cynical

^ Same, I just feel off information here that I would never tell people in real life! I'm very reserved a x have trouble talking about myself or really revealing anything, which can be a problem.
Old 25th October 2019, 16:20

Oh god yeah. It comes from

- Fear
- Anxiety
- Discomfort
- Panic
- Eagerness to please
- Having spent way too much time on forums like this, or reading self-help books, or self-analyzing. I speak the language of self-help and forget that a lot of people live their lives at an incredibly shallow, non-analytical level.

I'm also way too deep. I can't do shallow, relaxed chit chat. And I'm simply not used to being around people.

Still, non SA people do it as well. A lot of people go around with this story in their head - 'my story'. Often, it will be a story that makes them feel good about themselves (how they left school at 16 and their teacher said they've never amount to anything but ten years later they'd built up a multi-million pound business and drove round to the school in a Porsche blah blah...) I've had this kind of s**t from people I've bumped into while walking my dog- people I have never even met before. Often, you realize they barely even see you as an individual. They don't listen to anything you say and just want you to be quiet while they run through their lines. I had it just a few months ago actually. I was out walking my dog and bumped into a guy who then told me a half hour story about how he'd run away from home and joined the RAF and travelled the world and on and on. He was just using me to make himself feel good, which is what most people do. If it wasn't for my SA and fear of upsetting people I'd have cut him short.
Old 25th October 2019, 16:34

Mood
Tired

Yeah my conversations go like "Hi, I'm Adam and I think I've got piles and crushing anxiety and depression"
Old 25th October 2019, 16:59

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3stacks
Yeah my conversations go like "Hi, I'm Adam and I think I've got piles and crushing anxiety and depression"
same...except I always say "I've got crushing anxiety and depression because of my piles"
Old 25th October 2019, 20:47

Mood
Tired

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy77
same...except I always say "I've got crushing anxiety and depression because of my piles"
Haha
Old 17th January 2020, 19:15

I just tell them it’s winter so please do not disturb.