SAUK Discussion Board

Go Back   SAUK Discussion Board > Social Anxiety Discussions > The Social Anxiety Room
Join! Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Notices

Closed Thread  Post New Thread

Old 14th January 2007, 17:54
CaughtByTheFuzz

Default Citalopram and Ecitalopram

Hello. Have any of you tried both Citalopram and Ecitalopram?

I ask because I've recently tried Citalopram without success.

My Doctor has explained that Escitalopram is a rebranded form of Citalopram with a very small chemical difference, and the difference between the two is essentially a placebo.

I've spoken to two people that have been unable to take Citalopram yet wax lyrical about Escitalopram. Maybe it's a placebo with them but maybe it's not?

I had to come straight off Citalopram because of suicidal thoughts. Have any of you experienced the same on Citalopram, but then continued on with it to feel its benefits later?

I'm wondering if my Dr's reacted too quickly by taking me off Citalopram (only took it for two weeks) though I do understand his reasons.

I started on Mirtazipine two days ago and I've never felt so anxious in my life. I literally can't keep still for a second. I can't take antiobiotics or the contraceptive pill either, so maybe I'm just overly sensitive to drugs.

Plus on the Mirtazipine, I'm a slightly freaked out by how quickly it puts me to sleep. I slept 15 odd hours after the first dose and 12 hours last night. Not that I'm complaining, but still.

Any thoughts on this would be very much appreciated
Old 14th January 2007, 18:13

Default Re: Citalopram and Ecitalopram

Ive been on both.

Firstly I was on escitalopram, then when I moved hospitals I was put on citalopram. I dont know why, however.

I found that there wasnt much difference between the two or any difference in how I felt.

I still felt depressed & was constantly thinkin of suicide.

I was on escitalopram for a year. & citalopram for about 3 months.

Im now off both & am on a mood stabiliser instead.

Sorry to hear your having a hard time.

Give your new meds a chance to work although ive never been on mirtazipine so I dont really know what advise to give you.
Old 14th January 2007, 19:08
Moody Mare

Ive tried both, I was on escitalipram then changed to citalipram given the same reasons you were and something about lower salt content or sodium because of my weight, I might have read it wrong. So in thory theyve told you the opposite is being discontinued to me. Apparently they are the same but I noticed a difference and didnt like it, I was okish on the escitalipram but spaced out on the citalipram, Id have thought they would have introduced it slowly if it was the slightest bit different but they didnt. Ive not really been able to get a medication to suit me since and Ive tried going back on effexor as that suited me years ago but I had to come off it when I was pregnant but this time round it gave me a stonking headache made me feel numb, sick you name it. They say give it a few weeks I gave it a few days on the half dose and have gave up I know my body and when it tells me summit aint right.
Old 14th January 2007, 19:25

I was on Citalopram (20mgs) for 3 years and thay made me feel better but i was allways tired? Now i'm on (10mgs) of Ecitalopram and i'm feeling pretty good with no side affects

Maybe the dose is to high Just a thought?
Old 14th January 2007, 19:26

IIRC Escitalopram is basically the same as citalopram but in a more chemically pure form. I remember reading when it came out that it was claimed to work more quickly than cit. and have fewer, or less severe, side effects. I don't know whether those claims were true. It also costs a lot more which is prolly why some docs are reluctant to prescribe it. Since at the end of the day it's the same thing you could probably say that if citalopram doesn't work for you then escitalopram won't either. Though if it is just the side effects of cit. that are the problem then maybe they will be less with escit.?

FTR I was on citalopram last winter and i wasn't sure whether it helped. I can say though that I felt strongly suicidal for a while whenever the dosage was changed (didn't get this with any other SSRIs and i've tried most). I didn't think mirtazipine was prescribed for SA tho maybe i'm wrong? I was put on it years ago and like CBTF it made me very sleepy and very hungry; put on a huge amount of weight

cheers

Phil
Old 14th January 2007, 20:44

Mood
Balanced

take a look at this,it has a lot of info re the treatment of sa and various meds..i think a mixture of a benzo and a ssri would be grand but my gp wont give me the ssri without taking me off the klonopin,i declined the ssri! i wanted to give prozac a try as it has less side effects for men than others which make u shake.muscle tension ,yawn all the time sweats etc-women can seem to take many ssris and get away with fewer side effects.
anyways take a look!

http://www.socialfear.com/
Old 15th January 2007, 09:34

I take 40mg Citalopram and it certainly helps me, no real depression anymore..

It sounds like you could have been taken off these too quickly as I am told that it takes between 4 and 6 weeks to really have an effect.
Old 15th January 2007, 10:56

Mood
Sleepy

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaughtByTheFuzz

I had to come straight off Citalopram because of suicidal thoughts. Have any of you experienced the same on Citalopram, but then continued on with it to feel its benefits later?

I'm wondering if my Dr's reacted too quickly by taking me off Citalopram (only took it for two weeks) though I do understand his reasons.
Hey,

I went through a couple of weeks of obsessing about suicide when i started on citalopram. It was strange becuase it only ever involved using a gun...i didnt understand this. Them thoughts seem to have past now though i do still get thoughts of suicide but they are my erm normal thoughts of it.

I am still only a month into them but i do feel they are helping so i am very reluctant to come off them. I'll keep you posted on how they continue to effects me etc.

Good luck with the ecitalopram. I think if you find one that works for you it'l be a good boost and help you tackle your sa and any underlying stuff. :D :D i have faith

Darren

(Ps 15 hours wow - good work)
Closed Thread