SAUK Discussion Board

Go Back   SAUK Discussion Board > General Discussion > The Lounge
Join! Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Notices

Reply  Post New Thread

Old 18th January 2021, 19:33

Mood
Alienated

Default Re: Type what you're thinking about right now (11)

^^ I think smart watches get some stick for freaking people out with dodgy heart rate readings?

I've got a Samsung galaxy Watch, my heart rate is normally low but now I'm on beta blockers I'm really confusing it, I'm down to 40
Old 18th January 2021, 23:51

There are a lot of op-eds at the moment about how COVID is some big equaliser (unless you’re rich enough that it doesn’t affect you) in the world because middle class people are worried about money too and some of them are having to do peasant jobs. It’s kind of insulting because it’s obvious that when the world recovers most of the people who had to take a step down will recover and those of us who were struggling to get ahead before will be left behind and forgotten about, and the media will celebrate because status quo has been restored.

TL,DR - I got another rejection email for a job I know I could do and I’m feeling bitter.
Old 20th January 2021, 23:10

How all sorts of taboo topics are discussed on YouTube (and doubtless elsewhere) with people talking about their experiences and showing their actual faces. That's quite something. It must be reassuring for young people seeing that.
Old 23rd January 2021, 17:55

I owe you an apology, SAUK! I've just realised that I have missed our 3 year Anniversary! But what with being so busy lately. Although that being said, you do deserve to know the truth. So for the last week, I have been spending some time with another SA forum. But let me assure you, that relationship doesn't compare to the relationship we have! After all, you are still my number one SA forum! And I hope this isn't presumptuous of me, but I do have more than enough energy for you and that other SA forum!

Anyway, Happy Anniversary SAUK!

I wasn't going to do the song dedication anymore, but as it's our Anniversary....

I would now like to dedicate this song to a very special SAUK forum:

And that's not all! Shall we retire to the next room:

Old 24th January 2021, 00:09

Realising it's a bit of a mad idea moving miles away on my own at my age. My cohort will all be settled and sorted and over it whereas I'm on a journey of self discovery or some shite. (While trying not to end up in penury. Always got to remember the avoidance of penury.) Still, I don't have any better ideas. Unfortunate I got stuck in a hole for two decades near enough.
Old 24th January 2021, 10:49

snoooooooooow!
(yeah, it's snowing here)
Old 24th January 2021, 14:31

Mood
Cynical

^^ Lots of people move to different areas at all sorts of ages though, especially with the current rental market. It's not that unusual for people to be new in an area, I don't think you'd stick out!
Old 25th January 2021, 12:48

^Yes, true. I'm just sad I didn't get my act together sooner. I could have either stayed here and earned and saved ££ in a plodding, steady, patient manner, even if I could never break past low earnings, or moved into a flat/houseshare somewhere and endured that and that would probably have moved me on mentally in some ways. Social anxiety really messed things up, plus handling the whole lesbian thing badly meant my compass in life was somehow not set in the right direction. I don't think I'm that good at compartmentalisation, sadly.

The thing to do would have been to rent on my own for a year or two years ago, just to chill on my own. Well, I'd obviously have to work full time to pay for it, and I would have been skint, but at least there would be some chilling. Thought about it in 2009 (not great timing) and again a few years later, but had stupidly left myself in a situation where I had no savings, so I couldn't do the hand to mouth thing with the changes to the system, I wouldn't have been able to chill.

^^It's snowy here too. Had a great walk yesterday. We haven't been sledging though.
Old 26th January 2021, 09:30
Co-Administrator

Mood
Tired

Currently on a bus :/ on my way for the vaccine. Don't have any photographic staff ID so hope they will accept my staff lanyard, payslip and passport.

Least the bus is nigh on deserted. Didnt fancy driving to Hove or anywhere in the proximity of Brighton lol.
Old 26th January 2021, 10:29

Mood
Cynical

^ Good luck, hope it all goes ok!
Old 26th January 2021, 13:06

Have been wanting to meet new people to confront my SA, but since the pandemic it's just not been possible. There are lots of "online" Zoom events on meetup.com but it's just not the same as real life interaction.

Trying to think of ways I could prepare for when restrictions lift... I'm on furlough so all I can do is exercise (go for walks), meditate and read books.
Old 26th January 2021, 16:02
Co-Administrator

Mood
Tired

Thanks Dougella, Kooky and Nanuq

It went fine. Well apart from getting there too early and having to find somewhere to sit in the cold for 50 mins, then nearly arriving late as I took the wrong road back. Whilst my phone battery died so I couldn't tell the time or give them my mobile number or truly navigate my way back I don't know Hove in the slightest. Thank God Brighton and Hove buses all have and the next stop is... otherwise I'd probably have ended up Brighton to get back to Worthing.

Did need ID and my staff lanyard. But other than that I was pretty much in and out. Staff were all lovely and other than some tingling in my arm and hand I don't feel unwell. Back in Apr for the 2nd dose.
Old 27th January 2021, 12:49
Co-Administrator

Mood
Tired

^ Well I hadn't felt unwell, till I work up freezing cold at 3am, still not putting 2 and 2 together I got up and went to turn the heating on! Stood up and couldn't stop shivering, then realised I was really hot not cold! Spent a couple of hours with a fever. Seems to have gone now, though I now kind of feel like I have a mild hangover I guess.
Old 27th January 2021, 13:58

I hope you feel better soon, Mo!

Mo, can I ask for a quick favour please? I just need to make one of those "diversions from life" posts. And you being a part of this post would be so helpful! And I promise this post won't take too long:

Mo, would you kindly do me the honour of accompanying me to the forum ball please?

We won't be too long everyone. Me and Mo are just going to glide our way around the forum ball. Although this isn't related to the "roaring" thing I mentioned a bit ago. Well not entirely anyway:

Thank you so much for the dance, Mo! I really appreciate it! I also think I can now move on from the dancing posts. Although I will still glide from time to time, but it probably won't be dance related. Oh and I would walk you back to your profile page, but I realise you are still on mod duties Anyway, thanks again! Oh and also again, I hope you feel better soon!

Old 27th January 2021, 16:47

^ Haha all that shenanigans brightened up my day
Old 29th January 2021, 14:01

Thinking about having a Wall Street/Wolf of Wall Street/The Big Short marathon and pretend I'm clever enough to understand what's currently going on with the stock market.
Old 29th January 2021, 22:38

Memory is super weird.
Old 30th January 2021, 13:55

I need to stop with the fawning. It has got a lot better over the years, but it still pops up now and then. The compulsion to fawn at someone who doesn't like you; it seems like a personal challenge but there is no need in most situations.
Old 31st January 2021, 00:39

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nanuq
If I hear my husband play the opening chords of 'This Charming Man' one more time, I will gouge out my ears with a spoon
how can you ever get tired of that jaunty opening
Old 31st January 2021, 13:33

Mood
Alienated

I wonder if these home vitamin deficiency blood test things you can buy online for £100ish are any good.

I've got all sorts of health issues at the moment (the latest one is a sore throat/jaw for the best part of 2 months) - I keep getting close to ringing my doctors up to try and get something for this and bring up the fact that I'm still having heart problems and the beta blockers are making me feel like shit but since I haven't even had the appointment through for the cardiac MRI - I don't really know what to do on that front.

My diet is pretty rubbish, I'm probably deficient in "something"..I've bought some multi vits but fully aware these ain't going to fix my problems.

Having a massive doctors phobia is expensive and a huge pain in the arse, I literally hobbled round and tried to carry on at work with a broken ankle for a week just to not go to hospital - It'll be fine..its just a bit black!
Old 31st January 2021, 15:32

^Did you just ask them to do it?

I've accepted that as a gay you just have to be better than the straights so I can't be surprised things have turned out so badly. It is annoying to be hamstrung by social anxiety as a result though, because that's hardly starting off on the right foot. It's hard enough for normals to get everything sorted these days. (The ageing population, the increasing rentseeking behaviour from both left and right etc etc.) I didn't do everything I could to fight through the anxiety either.
Old 31st January 2021, 20:47

Mood
Alienated

^^ Hmm, I took a finger prick test for celiac disease a couple of years back

Must admit I didn't half make a mess.. looked like a murder scene..I was only trying to get a few drops in a vial
Old 1st February 2021, 19:37

Mood
Fine

Quote:
Originally Posted by No Longer Human
I can imagine in 3, maybe 5 years, a lot of people who didn't say diddly squat against all of this lockdown nonsense - (modern Britain has now become one of the worst totalitarian states in human history) - will imagine that they did. People will claim that they were one of those who spoke out, who never thought it was justified, etc. I remember much same thing with the Iraq war - I recall spending months and months getting into discussions with ten for a penny leftists, at uni and in my family, that were convinced Saddam had to be stopped, and now they all have conveniently forgotten that they, like tuned-in lemmings, completely bought the bullshit at the time. Papers like the Guardian were of course the worst for just recycling the government line but people like to forget about how almost all public liberals and leftists had a hard on for invasion and only a handful of media types had the balls to question it (Robert Fisk, etc). I predict much the same for COVID
Err, in relation to the Iraq war (and ime assuming you mean 2003 rather than 1991 here) MANY people objected to it at the time, and there were massive marches and demonstrations against it, across the UK. Some of them had hundreds of thousands taking part. And there were certainly prominent Left wing Individuals who objected to it (off the top of my head Robin Cook the then Foreign Secretary resigned over it). Alec Salmond and the SNP opposed it too if I remember correctly. I think you're misrepresenting opinion at the time to suggest that almost everyone was in favor. It wasnt that way at all and was a highly controversial war from the beginning.

As to Lockdown, I hate it too, but realistically, taking all things into account what is the alternative? Its a horrible, damaging, illiberal and blunt tool to use as a delaying tactic against this virus certainly. But what other viable, workable options are there?
Old 2nd February 2021, 05:33

^ Probably the biggest protest in modern history . There was over a million people at the London event alone as well as numerous large events at other major cities around the UK.

Hmmm, cant get back to sleep , is it too early and too rainey to go for a run? when did I turn into the type of person who thought about running?
Old 2nd February 2021, 09:50

Mood
Lucky

Quote:
Originally Posted by No Longer Human
I can imagine in 3, maybe 5 years, a lot of people who didn't say diddly squat against all of this lockdown nonsense - (modern Britain has now become one of the worst totalitarian states in human history) - will imagine that they did. People will claim that they were one of those who spoke out, who never thought it was justified, etc.
Yeah, I think there will be some retrospective re imaging of public opinion fairly soon.

The harms of lock downs are mounting up:

https://thefatemperor.com/published-...wn-huge-harms/

and although they might be necessary to some degree, when people look back, so might not be as keen on them as they are now.
Old 2nd February 2021, 09:55

Mood
Lucky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toxic
I wonder if these home vitamin deficiency blood test things you can buy online for £100ish are any good.
I did one from Thriva a few years ago.

It said I was fine in most areas part from one.

Although I didn't do the full package.

I never did another one to see if anything had changed.

I did it in the summer so my vitamin D levels were high but would be interested to see them in the winter as D is about the most important vitamin out there apparently, even helps with covid outcomes.
Old 2nd February 2021, 10:04

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nanuq
Did you go for a run?

It was freezing and wet and horrible this morning when I went out (not running, just for a walk)
Yes I did thanks, I never thought I would say this, but I bloody love running , I'm on week 3 of the couch to 5k app and I'm finding myself having to be disciplined to not overdo it and just "trust the process". It gives me a similar effect to meditation but is easier to do when I'm already a bit stressed.

It was also cold and wet which I weirdly kind of liked
Old 2nd February 2021, 11:22

Mood
Alienated

^^ I Think my problem is I have a huge thing about health/issues and avoiding getting things sorted even if that means I spend 6 months in agony.

I suspect I'm the sort of person who would do one of these home kits, it will tell me I'm marginally slightly under on something thats not really too important and will immediately convince myself I have cancer
Old 2nd February 2021, 12:57

Mood
Lucky

haha maybe not a good idea then!

Although if one says you are low on Vitamin X, it's pretty easy to remedy that by taking said vitamin.

Maybe just get a basic one that doesn't tell you about anything that's serious?
Old 2nd February 2021, 17:41
Co-Administrator

Mood
Nerdy

I miss living in the Netherlands so much, it's a great place to be. I miss being able to wander around the city anonymously. (I now live back in the same English village I grew up in.) I don't think my partner likes our working culture here in the UK, he always comes home exhausted and stressed. Lately I've been seriously thinking about a permanent move back to NL in the long term, but Brexit has f-cked that for me unless we get married or I take Dutch citizenship or something. I'm so, so disappointed with the way things have gone politically in Britain in the last 5 or 10 years.