SAUK Discussion Board

Go Back   SAUK Discussion Board > Social Anxiety Discussions > Other Issues and Conditions
Join! Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Notices

Reply  Post New Thread

Old 17th April 2024, 13:29

Mood
Cynical

Default Re: The ASD thread (Autism Spectrum Disorder)

"Dinosaur review - autism sitcom thrills with jokes about loyalty cards and thrush."

https://www.theguardian.com/tv-and-r...rds-and-thrush

A new comedy about two sisters who are autistic (the writer is autistic). On BBC iPlayer.
Old 17th April 2024, 15:20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunrise
What help is actually available once you get a diagnosis?

I've actually head stories about people losing access to mental health services after an autism diagnosis.

Is seeking a diagnosis more about finally putting a name to what is wrong with you? I'm not sure I'd find that helpful. I'm still going to have these difficulties no matter what name you call it. I wouldn't see it as some sort of massive revelation and it wouldn't change how I feel about myself.
I was thinking exactly this. Discharging immediately after giving the label is not exactly helpful, for everyone.
Old 17th April 2024, 15:24

Quote:
Originally Posted by horseblanket
Sounds like emotional unstable personality disorder, the whole discharge you as soon as they give you the label ..... Sigh
As you will find if you search online, DBT is the gold standard treatment for ''emotionally unstable personality disorder'' aka borderline personality disorder.

Due to the inadequacy of the ''services'' they discharge people having slapped a label on them, people who have a ''treatable'' disorder.
Old 17th April 2024, 22:30

Any of the symptoms I could be treated for wouldn't really be symptoms of autism. They would probably be loosely linked to it, but the things I struggle with are all mental health related.

The thought that an autism diagnosis would result in me being less likely to be offered mental health support is worrying. I don't understand why people are losing access to mental health services when given a diagnosis. Why? Does it make you more treatment resistant to the usual CBT approach? I wouldn't be asking them to "cure" autism, it's the additional mental health issues that I would seeking treatment for.

I have already been diagnosed with BPD (as they used to call it). Apart from DBT based group therapy which wasn't that helpful. The BPD is what causes me the most distress. I don't really want to lose that diagnosis and be told that it's just who I am and I'm just "different".

Don't get me started on "workplace adjustments". A diagnosis would just mean HR departments now have to be more creative when ****ing you over. If a company want's rid they'll still find a way. Whether it's discrimination or not normally depends on how good a solicitor you can afford. "Workplace adjustments" tend to mean subtlety making your life a living hell until you finally quit.
Old 17th April 2024, 23:01

Mood
Cynical

^ I'm not sure either.
Old Yesterday, 14:39

Mood
Lurking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluebear
As you will find if you search online, DBT is the gold standard treatment for ''emotionally unstable personality disorder'' aka borderline personality disorder.

Due to the inadequacy of the ''services'' they discharge people having slapped a label on them, people who have a ''treatable'' disorder.
its cause i have learning difficulties as well, they decided to "discharge" me to learning disability services then learning disability services decided they can't help and sent me back to mental health services, who sent me back to learning disability services - keep repeating until you give up .........
Old Yesterday, 17:39

^ have you tired contacting PALS to let them know?
Old Today, 09:24

Mood
Lurking

Quote:
Originally Posted by biscuits
^ have you tired contacting PALS to let them know?
I think we told them back in 2012 but I don't remember for sure, I gave up cause the excuse both would give is "oh you got emotional unstable personality disorder/learning disabilities (delete as appropriate) we can't help with that one" they seem unable to work together