SAUK Discussion Board

Go Back   SAUK Discussion Board > Board Management > The Garage
Join! Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Notices

Reply  Post New Thread

Old 18th July 2013, 15:32

Default Jobs and benefits subsection

Hi folks

Jam made the suggestion that we have a jobs and benefits section, which showed there's a fair amount of demand for it. We're hoping to set it up in the near future, and we'd really like people's input into what people would find useful there.

Old 18th July 2013, 16:31
davehedgehog

Default Re: Jobs and benefits subsection

a tips on benefit fraud subsection or sticky
Old 18th July 2013, 16:46

Quote:
Originally Posted by BFG
a tips on benefit fraud subsection or sticky
'The Fiddlers Forum'

Old 18th July 2013, 17:18

If this is looking for advice on jobs and benefits. Maybe an advice section would encompass it all and everything.
Old 18th July 2013, 17:33

I was thinking both advice and peer support, tips and general discussion about work and/or benefits. But maybe an advice section could cover that instead. That could leave the SA room a bit... quiet?
Old 18th July 2013, 18:56

I think a sticky with the criteria relating to social anxiety would be helpful, including what criteria you need to meet to enter the support group on grounds of social interaction.

So to summarise: to enter the support group on grounds of social anxiety, you need to have pretty much complete isolation, if you are able to use public transport, attend appointments with dentist, doctor etc, interact with family, then as they see it you don't gain entry to support group.

If you avoid social interaction for the vast majority of the time but are able to do things such as shopping, using public transport, go to meets, talk to strangers, sometimes, even though you find it completely uncomfortable and massively axiety inducing then you should be awarded 9 or 6 points, you need 15 to qualify for ESA I beleive.

I copied and pastied this from the WCA handbook

3.5.7 Coping with social engagement (Social Interaction)
Activity 16: Coping with social engagement due to cognitive impairment or mental disorder
Descriptors
CS(a) Engagement in social contact is always precluded due to difficulty relating to others or significant distress experienced by the individual.
CS(b) Engagement in social contact with someone unfamiliar to the claimant is always precluded due to difficulty relating to others or significant distress experienced by the individual.
CS(c) Engagement in social contact with someone unfamiliar to the claimant is not possible for the majority of the time due to difficulty relating to others or significant distress experienced by the individual.
CS(d) None of the above apply.
Scope
This activity is intended to reflect a significant lack of self-confidence in face to face social situations that is greater in its nature and its functional effects than mere shyness or reticence. Those with severe anxiety, autism, psychosis or learning disability may have problems in this area. It reflects levels of anxiety that are much more severe than fleeting moments of anxiety such as any person might experience from time to time.
Issues to consider
***61623; The level of anxiety referred to suggests a specific and overwhelming experience of fear, resulting in physical symptoms or a racing pulse, and often in feelings of impending death such as may occur in a panic attack.
***61623; There must be evidence that the social engagement results in significant distress to the individual. CSa represents almost total social isolation.
***61623; For people with anxiety, panic disorder and agoraphobia there should be supporting evidence that corroborates the severity of the condition, for example, level of medication / psychiatric input.
Activities of daily living
Consider any form of social contact such as:
***61623; Use of public transport
***61623; Shopping
***61623; Talking to neighbours
Medical Services
Revised WCA Handbook 6 Final
MED-ESAAR2011/2012~001 Page 124
***61623; Use of phone
***61623; Hobbies and interests
***61623; Social interaction with family
Mental State Examination
The Mental State Examination findings would be expected to reflect severe anxiety or communication problems. Rapport is likely to be poor with lack of eye contact. The claimant may be sweating and finding the consultation difficult. They may be somewhat timid in demeanour at interview. It would seem likely the person would require a companion to attend at the MEC due to the level of anxiety/
Old 18th July 2013, 19:09

Here are the relevant descriptors for ESA, I have omitted the descriptors for physical function as they will not apply for issues relating to SA.

You need to score 15 points to qualify for ESA.

The ones that will apply to SA are 16, and possibly 15 and 17.

Descriptors and scores for each mental, cognitive and intellectual function assessment

11. Learning tasks.

(a) Cannot learn how to complete a simple task, such as setting an alarm clock.
15 points
(b) Cannot learn anything beyond a simple task, such as setting an alarm clock.
9 points
(c) Cannot learn anything beyond a moderately complex task, such as the steps involved in operating a washing machine to clean clothes.
6 points
(d) None of the above apply.
0 points

12. Awareness of 15 everyday hazards (such as boiling water or sharp objects).

(a) Reduced awareness of everyday hazards leads to a significant risk of:
(i) injury to self or others; or
(ii) damage to property or possessions such that they require supervision for the majority of the time to maintain safety.
15 points
(b) Reduced awareness of everyday hazards leads to a significant risk of:
(ii) damage to property or possessions such that they frequently require supervision to maintain safety.
9 points
(c) Reduced awareness of everyday hazards leads to a significant risk of:
(ii) damage to property or possessions such that they occasionally require supervision to maintain safety.
6 points
0 points

13. Initiating and completing personal action (which means planning, organisation, problem solving, prioritising or switching tasks).

(a) Cannot, due to impaired mental function, reliably initiate or complete at least 2 sequential personal actions.
15 points
(b) Cannot, due to impaired mental function, reliably initiate or complete at least 2 personal actions for the majority of the time.
9 points
(c) Frequently cannot, due to impaired mental function, reliably initiate or complete at least 2 personal actions.
6 points
(d) None of the above apply
0 points

14. Coping with change.

(a) Cannot cope with any change to the extent that day to day life cannot be managed.
15 points
(b) Cannot cope with minor planned change (such as a pre-arranged change to the routine time scheduled for a lunch break), to the extent that overall day to day life is made significantly more difficult.
9 points
(c) Cannot cope with minor unplanned change (such as the timing of an appointment on the day it is due to occur), to the extent that overall, day to day life is made significantly more difficult.
6 points
0 points

15. Getting about.

(a) Cannot get to any specified place with which the claimant is familiar.
15 points
(b) Is unable to get to a specified place with which the claimant is familiar, without being accompanied by another person.
9 points
(c) Is unable to get to a specified place with which the claimant is unfamiliar without being accompanied by another person.
6 points
0 points

16. Coping with social engagement due to cognitive impairment or mental disorder.

(a) Engagement in social contact is always precluded due to difficulty relating to others or significant distress experienced by the individual.
15 points
(b) Engagement in social contact with someone unfamiliar to the claimant is always precluded due to difficulty relating to others or significant distress experienced by the individual.
9 points
(c) Engagement in social contact with someone unfamiliar to the claimant is not possible for the majority of the time due to difficulty relating to others or significant distress experienced by the individual.
6 points
0 points

17. Appropriateness of behaviour with other people, due to cognitive impairment or mental disorder.

(a) Has, on a daily basis, uncontrollable episodes of aggressive or disinhibited behaviour that would be unreasonable in any workplace.
15 points
(b) Frequently has uncontrollable episodes of aggressive or disinhibited behaviour that would be unreasonable in any workplace.
15 points
(c) Occasionally has uncontrollable episodes of aggressive or disinhibited behaviour that would be unreasonable in any workplace.
9 points
0 points
Old 18th July 2013, 19:13

Here is the criteria you need to meet to be placed in the support group.

Again I have omitted criteria that doesn't relate to SA such as incontince etc.

12. Coping with change.
Cannot cope with any change, due to cognitive impairment or mental disorder, to the extent that day to day life cannot be managed.

13. Coping with social engagement, due to cognitive impairment or mental disorder.
Engagement in social contact is always precluded due to difficulty relating to others or
significant distress experienced by the individual.

14. Appropriateness of behaviour with other people, due to cognitive impairment or mental disorder.
Has, on a daily basis, uncontrollable episodes of aggressive or disinhibited behaviour that would be unreasonable in any workplace.
Old 18th July 2013, 19:14

The complete list can be found here:

http://pseudo-living.blogspot.co.uk/...nd-points.html
Old 18th July 2013, 19:16

Thanks Davey - that's really helpful. We'll look into drawing something up.
Old 18th July 2013, 19:19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azi
I was thinking both advice and peer support, tips and general discussion about work and/or benefits. But maybe an advice section could cover that instead. That could leave the SA room a bit... quiet?
most posts aren't advice-related in sa forum though I think, mainly like sa vents and that.
Old 18th July 2013, 20:51

Mood
Curious

This is the place to get all the info you need:

http://www.benefitsandwork.co.uk/

All that useful information from Davysurfey can be found on the above website. It was set up by lawyers, barristers etc to help peeps like us navigate our way through the complicated process of ESA, DLA and PIP. It has saved my life - by that I mean without this site I would never have won at tribunal. They have guides on how to complete the forms and take you through the whole unpleasant process so that you are in the best position to get the benefits you are entitled too. The forum is really helpful too. The subscription varies between £9 and £18 a year but is money well spent. In the end I decided to complete my own ESA form after joining this site because I knew more about the process that my welfare rights officer. Cannot recommend it highly enough.
Old 18th July 2013, 22:04

Mood
Dramaqueen

We're currently working on a step-by-step guide for people going through the ESA process. We're making it specific for people who primarily have anxiety issues.

It would be helpful if there are any people who would be happy to write a few lines on either filling out the Limited Capability For Work Questionnaire; or attending the Assessment Interview, to give people reading the guide a flavour of what to expect. This would be a really good support tool for fellow members, so it'd be great if a few people can help out with this.

However, what's being produced is not designed to become a discussion - more of a guiding hand through the process and advice on what to expect. Discussions can continue to take place on threads though, and they're a valuable part of the forum.

If there's anyone who would be able to write a few lines about either experience, could you let me know on here, or drop me a wee PM? Thanks a million!

There will be more guides and topics produced - this is just the first of many, but for now we need to know what's needed and the best way for us to present this for people to easily access it and to get the most from it. It'd be great to get thoughts on this to help the section become a useful resource. Are there any other guides that you'd find useful? Any other topics you think people could benefit from?
Old 22nd July 2013, 14:51

Any other thoughts?