SAUK Discussion Board

Go Back   SAUK Discussion Board > Social Anxiety Discussions > The Social Anxiety Room
Join! Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Notices

Reply  Post New Thread

Old 19th April 2016, 20:54

Default best medicine

What is the best anti anxiety medication?
Old 19th April 2016, 22:34

Default Re: best medicine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legion
Lobotomy

Last edited by Ryerbu; 19th April 2016 at 23:28. Reason: Got cyber-bullied for using wrong context. Had to change to a picture.
Old 19th April 2016, 22:42

The only Medication/drug I've taken that completely alleviated my SA was Alprazolam or Nitrazepam. They both fall under the benzodiadepine family though and are highly addictive and life wrecking. I feel they shouldn't be prescribed full-stop unless for very acute symptoms like extremely bad insomnia. They're the best and worst "medication" in my opinion.
Old 19th April 2016, 23:17

Mood
Pensive

I have tried a few and none seem to help with SA.
Old 19th April 2016, 23:17

Quote:
Originally Posted by New Dawn Fades
not sure you used that in the right context
http://knowyourmeme.com/memes/tips-fedora.
I know I didn't aha. I always see it as an "I take my hat off to thee" rather than an insult. In hindsight, I probably should've the latter. I'll edit it for you

Last edited by Ryerbu; 19th April 2016 at 23:20. Reason: dropped fedora on keyboard causing typo.
Old 24th January 2019, 23:14

Mood
Bashful

Atenolol as and when required works reasonably well for me, by helping reduce the physical symptoms of anxiety generated by my sensitised sympathetic nervous system. Of course, they have no effect on the anxious thoughts. That is where I endorse the books of Claire Weekes and Paul David.
Old 25th January 2019, 21:42

I take diazepam prn and it works wonders on my SA.
Old 25th January 2019, 22:51

I've heard that laughter is the best medicine, but it didn't stop them taking my first aider qualification off me at work. I mean, that guy falling down the stairs WAS hilarious...
Old 26th January 2019, 00:26

^

Lorazepam worked wonders for me but I now wish I had advoided it like the plague.
Old 26th January 2019, 09:55

Quote:
Originally Posted by Consolida
^

Lorazepam worked wonders for me but I now wish I had advoided it like the plague.
That's what happens when you depend on it too much,I have been on diazepam for 6 years and have no problems with it because I only take it when I really really can't cope.
Old 27th January 2019, 06:32

Has anyone had Valium? How was it?
Old 28th January 2019, 17:27

^^ It’s good to hear that you are only taking Diazepam when you really can’t cope. That’s how it was for me too for many years but there comes a time when your body builds up a tolerance and you need to up the dose for the same effect. It can become a dangerously slippery slope.

Fortunately most Doctors won’t prescribe Benzodiazepines anymore and those that do seem mainly to prescribe a short course for someone who finds their self dealing with a crisis, such as bereavement.

I had the misfortune to have a Phychiatrist who dished pills out like smarties and swept any concerns I had about the risk of addiction aside. Also, when nearly every social situation starts to be the one that you really can’t cope with the risk of addiction can feel slightly less unpleasant than the risk of social humiliation. Of course, I didn’t know back then how utterly horrific the addiction to Benzodiazepines can be.

Please don’t quote
Old 29th January 2019, 01:39

Thanks Consolida but I won't get addicted I have had SA for 50 years so I know how to get myself out of it when I am really struggling and as I'm on esa i'm not under any pressure to attend any social situations where I don't know anyone,my doctor wouldn't give me enough for me to get addicted anyway.I really only take it for panic attacks and the occasional family get together that I can't get out of.
Old 9th February 2019, 15:58

Mood
Mellow

I wasn't allowed any of them fancy benzos even when i was struggling really bad and couldn't sleep. I just use natural supplements, my favourites are passionflower and valerian. Take them with a beer and they knock you right out if stress is stopping you sleeping properly. Technically you're no supposed to mix but i canny see it being worse than being on most of the synthetic chemicals that are prescribed.
Old 9th February 2019, 17:34

Mood
Tired

Quote:
Originally Posted by Creamy Goodness
Has anyone had Valium? How was it?
Valium is Diazepam
Old 9th February 2019, 18:15

Mood
Blah

I have to disagree with you guys who think it's "lucky" they don't tend to prescribe benzos now. It may have somehow wrecked your life but they've helped me a lot. There's no need to get addicted as long as you're not taking them daily. You just need an iota of self control.
Old 9th February 2019, 22:24

Mood
Bashful

I was prescribed Valium between 1978 and 1986 and managed to wean myself off without any help from the doctor, who told me that I should think of the medication as a vitamin supplement to replace that which my body was lacking.

I just gradually reduced the amount I was taking over12 months or so, going down from 5mg a day to eventually nothing. It was hard but I did it.

What also helped was forming a relationship with someone who encouraged me towards the end of my battle.I was reluctant to tell them I was taking tranquillisers as I thought they would be horrified but I needn't have worried. Instead I was offered understanding which helped no end and gave me confidence.

Now I take an over the counter herbal based tablet called 'Kalms' which are non addictive as and when required together with the occasional beta blocker ( Atenolol), a prescription of which lasts me about 12 months.
Old 10th February 2019, 09:26

^ Well done Kipper for weaning yourself off the Diazepam
Although you say it was hard it sounds like it was well worth it in the end. It's great that you had such a supportive partner, that really does make all the difference!

My Doctor has adviced me to gradually decrease the Lorazepam and replace it with Diazepam before weaning myself off of that as apparently the switch allows you to tail off your benzodiazepine dosage smoothly and gradually and minimises withdrawal symptoms. We shall see

I've got a long long way to go but, like you, I've got an incredibly supportive husband which helps immensely.
Old 10th February 2019, 10:03

Quote:
Originally Posted by jez9999
I have to disagree with you guys who think it's "lucky" they don't tend to prescribe benzos now. It may have somehow wrecked your life but they've helped me a lot. There's no need to get addicted as long as you're not taking them daily. You just need an iota of self control.
Me too,as you say you need self control they should only be used when really really needed not all the time.
Old 10th February 2019, 13:22

Addictive behaviour is not just a matter of exercising self-control. Saying "just don't take them all the time" or "just have a bit of self-control" is about as helpful as saying "can't you just get on with it" to a socially anxious person. If someone is under relentless stress from social situations, and benzos help with that stress, the temptation will be to take them more frequently than one should, resulting in a loss of the pills' efficacy, an increased dosage, and addiction problems can quickly develop.

I'm currently an infrequent diazepam user, but I took quite a lot when my first wife died and it could very easily have escalated into regular usage as they provided (short-term) relief from the emotional pain.
Old 10th February 2019, 14:57

^ Well said Chimpy x

I agree 100% with everyone who has said that tranquillisers should only be taken for real emergencies and that's how it was for me for a good 20 years (so evidently I did have some self control for a very long time) but sometimes circumstances change in an individuals life and you can find yourself sliding down a slippery slope.

From taking Lorazepam only occasionally to lessen the anxiety I felt in a difficult social situation I ended up taking them when I wasn't even going out of my front door in an effort to numb my mind from some upsetting life events that were causing me a great deal of emotional pain.

To be honest, I don't think it's particularly helpful on a mental health forum for someone to imply that when a person becomes physically dependent on benzodiazepines it's because they didn't have an 'iota of self control.' because the reasons for dependence and addiction are so varied and very complex. I, perhaps wrongly, took such a comment as an inference that I had only my self to blame for my predicament.

I've only just started to wean myself off the benzodiazepines and I feel very cross with myself for ending up in this situation. To say that the road ahead feels like a very scary one would be an understatement so I apologise to anyone here for coming across as prickly and oversensitive on the subject.