SAUK Discussion Board

Go Back   SAUK Discussion Board > Social Anxiety Discussions > The Social Anxiety Room
Join! Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Notices

Closed Thread  Post New Thread

Old 24th April 2011, 23:16

Mood
Angry

Default Oh my eyes

Does anybody have a problem with their eyes ?
When i go into a new situation/environment or i am trying to talk to someone i dont know or they are talking to me , my eyes seem to water??!!
Its really embarrassing and it makes me want to avoid eye contact all together sometimes.
I know that people can see me tearing up, to avoid any tears from dropping i do my utmost to look without blinking. I focus so much on doing this that i forget what my main objective is eg to relax and have fun or finnish conversating with people.
Old 25th April 2011, 00:20

Default Re: Oh my eyes

I can relate to this. I can be in a social environment with everything going ok and all of a sudden my eyes start watering for no discernible reason. Would love to know if there was some magic potion I could take to stop this happening, very frustrating.
Old 25th April 2011, 00:43

Mood
Cool

It has happened to me a couple of times in the past, I think I've come close a couple of times just recently. For me it was due to overwhelming stress that was buried deep down. I'd be totally OK then my eyes would water up, a tear or two would fall and I had to hide my face. Wasn't until after I calmed down that I began to understand what brought it on. I just fixated on something in my mind until it passed each time.
Old 25th April 2011, 18:42

Mood
Cold

Not so much when stressed but my eyes water any time I'm out and it's a bit breezy, really bad if it's especially cold. Not found any way to alleviate it though =<
Old 25th April 2011, 19:40

Mood
Cloud_9

Hmm this only happens to me if i yawn and people are like why are you crying, or tearing up, so i kinda know how this feels, is there some kind of eye drop you can take to sort of lose some moisture in the eye, im no doctor or pharmacist so pudern me if i sound utterly ridiculous, just thought i'd try and help you all out
Old 25th April 2011, 19:43
Banned

when i saw the title "oh my eyes"

I was expecting to come in here and see a pic of something horrid. preferably also lulz worthy

*exists thread*
Old 25th April 2011, 19:43

Mood
Bashful

I seem to have pretty much the opposite problem, the more stressed & anxious I am the drier my eyes & mouth become. I guess everyone reacts in different ways though. Must be tricky trying to hide watering eyes from people.
Old 25th April 2011, 19:57

I've had this before I dont think theres allot you can do, other than try and adress the anxiety which causes it.
Old 26th April 2011, 13:59

Mood
Angry

cheers guys and gals ,
Inad and Last2know its bloo** embarrassing not to mention annoying.
I have to carry a tissue around and pretend that i have hayfever. (I really do have it but not at the times when my eyes decide to water .)
Defiance - aww sorry to disappoint lol
Emski - any suggestion is helpful , cheers ;0)
The Shy Philosopher - I definetly get the dry mouth to and difficulty in swallowing
Fastlad - I get that also :0(
Salusa87 - will try to
Old 26th April 2011, 14:42

Mood
Doubtful

I used to blush and my eyes would water when speaking to a teacher or if someone tried to make conversation with me, and of course, the more you get embarrassed about it, the worse it gets and you can't focus on what the other person is saying to you! It sometimes still happens to me, but Iv learned to just accept that I might come across as weird and if that's what people want to think, so be it. Everyone's busy and nobody's gona focus for very long on the fact that AutumnLeaves is a weirdo anyway. Besides, I've seen lots of confident people who blush and whose eyes sometimes water, too. I have found that thinking this way means that this doesn't happen to me so often. I still shake terribly when I speak out in tutorials, but who cares, at least Im making an effort. It's my life and I have to try to get the most out of it however weird I may seem to other people.
Old 27th April 2011, 19:20

Mood
Angry

Thanks guys and girls , its nice to know i am not the only one. Just got to keep my stress levels down i imagine. Easier said than done !!
Old 28th April 2011, 14:14

I get this problem too, but i tend to find that my eyes are watering because they've got so dry. I find it helps to rub my palms together then put them over my eyes. The warmth really soothes them. Allergies are so common nowadays, most people just assume you've got a touch of hayfever.
Closed Thread