SAUK Discussion Board

Go Back   SAUK Discussion Board > Social Anxiety Discussions > The Social Anxiety Room
Join! Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Notices

Closed Thread  Post New Thread

Old 24th March 2011, 19:09

Default Anyone tried pregabalin?

Hi Has anyone been prescribed pregabalin for social anxiety and if so could you let me know how you got on with it?

As per my other thread in this forum i am struggling with my anxiety and am going back to the psychiatrist to look at medication. I have been on SSRI's before (fluoxetine and citalopram) which didn't help much and tried venlafaxine which i didn't like.

Haven't been on anything for around 9 months but definitely need something, anyone any suggestions on a decent alternative to the ones mentioned above? Thanks.
Old 24th March 2011, 19:31

Default Re: Anyone tried pregabalin?

My experience with medication is that your mileage may vary.

In the past I've been prescribed Citalopram, Venlafaxine, and Venlafaxine with Pregabalin, each for at least six months. Neither Citalopram nor Venlafaxine had a positive effect on me, with Venlafaxine making me feel slightly fuzzy and slow most of the time. The added Pregabalin had no noticeable effect.

However, there's clearly evidence that these medications help some people, so all I can suggest to anyone is to try them for yourself.
Old 24th March 2011, 20:32
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Potential

However, there's clearly evidence that these medications help some people, so all I can suggest to anyone is to try them for yourself.
Ditto, SSRI's made me worse in fact but i still advise people to try them if they are reccommended to you and the same with other meds as they may work for you.
Old 26th March 2011, 01:07

Mood
Musical

i have been taking pregabalin for eight months and it is good for generalised
anxiety and maybe helps sa a bit i would say. You do build a tolerance although it is not like benzo's for the withdrawals as it is a calcium channel blocker. It has been one of the few meds that have worked for my anxiety.
you do have side effects to begin with but they wear off quickly.
Definetely worth giving a go
Old 26th March 2011, 01:45

Thanks for the replies guys, thats nice to know it helped you sparky

I'd say my anxiety is more generalised now, it definitely started as social anxiety but now i am anxious pretty much all of the time, will see what the psychiatrist says.
Old 26th March 2011, 11:03

Mood
Musical

no worries tommy , if it is more generalised like you say then this medication
is specifically used for that condition. unlike the ssri's which are pretty useless imo.
Closed Thread