SAUK Discussion Board

Go Back   SAUK Discussion Board > General Discussion > The Lounge
Join! Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Notices

Reply  Post New Thread

Old 4th November 2013, 22:28

Default Re: TV programs you're watching?

^ What's not to like about John Bishop?!

^^^ I liked that show. Gotta be getting on for 10yrs now, no? Wish i had broadband
Old 4th November 2013, 23:36

Mood
Sad

Crying watching 999 what's your emergency tonight.
Old 5th November 2013, 01:24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocket Spud
^ What's not to like about John Bishop?!
Seems like a nice fella n all, just don't find him funny in slightest. And I tend to habour irrational hate for successful comedians who I don't find funny. Jealously probably.

Plus, as you know, I own a Mika album, so really shouldn't be taken as a person of sound judgement
Old 5th November 2013, 07:11

^ Yea, i think your completely right, actually. I can see his comedic appeal, he's very likable and all, but i'm hardly rolling about the floor in tears, slapping my thigh in hysterics (which i've not done for a while come to think about it ). Plus, if he's not to your taste, anyway, then there's always that nagging "how did he get there?".

I had forgotten about the Mika thing :/
Old 5th November 2013, 13:05

Anyone still watch Never Mind the Buzzcocks? Despite a severe decline of quality since Amstell left, I still continue to watch it. Phil Jupitus and Noel Fielding are probably the only reasons I still watch it. Anyway the recent episode had some ego-centric celeb getting pissed off, smashing a mug and storming off stage - Jupitus looked genuinely pissed off. When will these idiots learn it just makes them look completely pathetic (i.e. when Preston stormed off when Amstell was presenting).

I'm also watching lots of the Amstell versions, as almost all of them are available on YouTube. I think the episodes with Simon Amstell were my favourites, as much as I like Mark Lamarr.
Old 5th November 2013, 18:46
Co-Administrator

Mood
Tired

Big Bang Theory - I swear I could watch Jim Parsons for hours.
Old 5th November 2013, 19:12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex652
Anyone still watch Never Mind the Buzzcocks? Despite a severe decline of quality since Amstell left, I still continue to watch it. Phil Jupitus and Noel Fielding are probably the only reasons I still watch it. Anyway the recent episode had some ego-centric celeb getting pissed off, smashing a mug and storming off stage - Jupitus looked genuinely pissed off. When will these idiots learn it just makes them look completely pathetic (i.e. when Preston stormed off when Amstell was presenting).

I'm also watching lots of the Amstell versions, as almost all of them are available on YouTube. I think the episodes with Simon Amstell were my favourites, as much as I like Mark Lamarr.
I would say the quality woefully declined when Amstell came on board.

Lamarr's targets always felt like they were things that he felt were deserving of being targeted, they felt 'right'. Amstell was a needlessly cruel, unfunny little twerp who seemed to think he was doing what Lamarr did (or maybe he knew he couldn't compete with that so he just resorted to shock-jock meanness).

Preston was right to walk out, it's meant to be a light entertainment comedy show, i don't think anyone would sit there while their wife was belittled and made the butt of the jokes in that condescending 'Oh, this is the cretin you married' manner.
Old 5th November 2013, 19:47

enjoying season six of Sons of Anarchy so far having saved them up for the last couple weeks.
Old 5th November 2013, 19:56
Banned at own request

Eastenders
Old 5th November 2013, 20:46

Started watchin Arrested Development on Netflix the other day.

On one hand I'm disappointed in myself that it's taken me this long to start watching such an excellent show. On the other I have about 68 episodes of an excellent show to watch, which excites me!
Old 5th November 2013, 21:36

^

One of my all time favourite comedies! Them episodes will go fast though, trust me.

Old 5th November 2013, 22:22

^ Arrested Development was a show i avoided due to having negative preconceived ideas (apropos of god-knows-what) about. I decided to give it a chance a few weeks back after seeing all your videos and gifs and praise of it. I ended up watching every episode in, like, a week!

I assume you are a long-time fan of the show? I've been reading that long-time fans didn't like season 4, thinking the structure of it was too much of a departure from what they were used to. How did you feel about it?

I thought it was amazing how they were able to keep track of all those threads and how every episode completely changed the meaning of every single event down to the tiniest gesture over and over again.
Old 5th November 2013, 22:33
Banned

Mood
Bored

I don't know why but I'm re-watching it all. My favorite season is with the Mexicans. Dat white Lion so purdy.
I re-watched all of Orange is the new Black already. GIB NEXT SEASON PLIZ. -____-

Old 5th November 2013, 23:02

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omar Little
^ Arrested Development was a show i avoided due to having negative preconceived ideas (apropos of god-knows-what) about. I decided to give it a chance a few weeks back after seeing all your videos and gifs and praise of it. I ended up watching every episode in, like, a week!

I assume you are a long-time fan of the show? I've been reading that long-time fans didn't like season 4, thinking the structure of it was too much of a departure from what they were used to. How did you feel about it?

I thought it was amazing how they were able to keep track of all those threads and how every episode completely changed the meaning of every single event down to the tiniest gesture over and over again.
A week?? Impressive

Nope, not long-time, I actually started watching it around this time last year when I first got Netflix. I'm actually thankful I didn't start before, I don't think I could have stood not knowing if there'd ever be a new series, and then when it was announced, having to wait.

I really liked season 4 actually. I can understand the basis of some of the criticisms, the episodes are very dense and perhaps a little overwhelming, but I reckon that's all part of their charm, and makes it all the more rewarding when those bits of the joke are pieced together after a few episodes' set up. And as you say, the orchestration of it all is darn impressive. I'll concede that I wasn't in fits of laughter as much as in the previous series but I still found it bloody good. And 1000x better than most comedy about (I'm looking at you Mrs Brown's Boys and Citizen Khan).
Old 5th November 2013, 23:11

^Ah right.

I didn't really watch them properly, i was using them as background noise while i did other things, which means i probably missed a lot of stuff so i'll get to watch them again real soon.

I've never heard of Citizen Khan, but if it's lumped in with Mrs Brown's Boys then i will certainly be avoiding it!
Old 5th November 2013, 23:57

Yep, it's quite easy to miss some of the clever wordplay, which is where the gold is - one of those things where the more you put in, the more you get out. It's also pretty notorious for being difficult to get in to, so be kind and give it a chance

I'm watching that Operation Good Guys you posted up there^^^. Just coming to the end of the first ep, and I'm a'likin it.
Old 6th November 2013, 11:46

Masters of Sex

Old 6th November 2013, 11:50

Mood
Cool

This Morning Lol Boring
Old 8th November 2013, 17:09

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pandapop
Masters of Sex

I've been watching this too. Where Michael Sheen finds the time to make all these films and star in a tv show i don't know - no wonder they literally crucified him in Port Talbot, the man's not human.
Interesting show though, but i wonder if there'll be enough to keep me viewing for much longer, there's only so much 'ooh look how different sexual attitudes were back then' that i can take.

I'm currently watching that thing Mcnutty did were he played Fred West. The woman who plays Rose, wow, what an actress. I don't think i've ever seen anyone in a tv show make me hate them as much as she does, she has so much hate and cruelty for anything that comes her way she's utterly deplorable, even more so because she's actually quite a recognisable character
Old 9th November 2013, 12:51

American Horror Story : Coven - Really enjoying so far, possibly about to usurp Murder House as being the best season of the show so far. Jessica Lange is amazing as always! Kathy Bates isn't too bad either!
Old 9th November 2013, 13:49

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omar Little
I've been watching this too. Where Michael Sheen finds the time to make all these films and star in a tv show i don't know - no wonder they literally crucified him in Port Talbot, the man's not human.
Interesting show though, but i wonder if there'll be enough to keep me viewing for much longer, there's only so much 'ooh look how different sexual attitudes were back then' that i can take.

I'm currently watching that thing Mcnutty did were he played Fred West. The woman who plays Rose, wow, what an actress. I don't think i've ever seen anyone in a tv show make me hate them as much as she does, she has so much hate and cruelty for anything that comes her way she's utterly deplorable, even more so because she's actually quite a recognisable character

I actually really like the show, I love the friendship between him and Virgina. Poor Libby though
Old 9th November 2013, 21:40

^You know the names already. It takes me nigh on three seasons of watching a show to know any of the character's names. It's like we are four season into TWD and i could only name a handful of characters. What's the Asian kid's name, Ian? His girlfriend, Chloe? The blonde girl, no idea. The big black guy, Cutty-from-off-of-The-Wire etc.
Old 9th November 2013, 21:48

Glen, Maggie, Tyrese LOL
Old 9th November 2013, 21:49

Oh and Beth :p
Old 9th November 2013, 21:54

I was close!

^and, see, even you forgot her, she's such a non-character that girl.
Old 9th November 2013, 21:56

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisappearHere
I'm watching that Operation Good Guys you posted up there^^^. Just coming to the end of the first ep, and I'm a'likin it.
Didn't see this until now, sorry.

Good Guys is just bonkers, they're all so inept and childlike. There's nothing funnier than a group of fully grown men responding to danger with blind panic and pandemonium.

There are some weak episodes, and it hasn't aged none-too-well, but there's some crackers in there. In particular, the first episode of season two and this one from season three:

Enjoy!
Old 9th November 2013, 23:14

^ Nay worries, muchacho. Well I've definitely liked what I've seen so far - it's like Sesame Street... with guns! Might watch a couple more tonight
Old 10th November 2013, 01:23

^Well if you like it already then it's probably only going to grow on you It gives me some pleasure to introduce people to that particular show, so i'm glad you're liking it.
Old 10th November 2013, 01:34

Mood
Bookworm

Firefly. Pretty good, shame it got cancelled so soon.
Old 10th November 2013, 02:35

The escape artist a four part drama on bbc